Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Exchange Rate and HRV.

• 19-03-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused with specifications for HRV units.

Some manufacturers specify units for a floor area of say 300m2 but then the units can only supply 100-200m3 per hour depending on the fan speed. So if you take an average ceiling level of 2.5m that would mean you would need between 4 and 7 of these units to give one air exchange per hour.

Maybe I'm just totally confused with the whole thing but can any one shed some light on this.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gears wrote: »
    I'm a little confused with specifications for HRV units.

Some manufacturers specify units for a floor area of say 300m2 but then the units can only supply 100-200m3 per hour depending on the fan speed. So if you take an average ceiling level of 2.5m that would mean you would need between 4 and 7 of these units to give one air exchange per hour.

Maybe I'm just totally confused with the whole thing but can any one shed some light on this.

minimum standards 'will be' measured in litres per second, not in m3.

and there 'will be' different rates for different rooms.

Sizing
    1.2.3.2 The minimum capacity of an MVHR system
    should be based on the calculated general
    ventilation rate, adjusted to allow for air infiltration
    due to permeability of the building fabric. The
    calculated general ventilation rate is determined as
    the greater of
    a) 5 l/s plus 4 l/s per person, e.g. 25 l/s for a five
    person dwelling, or
    b) 0.3 l/s per m2 internal floor area, e.g. 30 l/s for
    a 100 m2 dwelling.

for example... to reach 25 litre / second

say your HRV is rated at 150m3....
    thats 150 * 1000 = 150000
    divide by 3600 (60 minutes x 60 seconds)

= 41.7 litres / second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

gears wrote: »
    So if you take an average ceiling level of 2.5m that would mean you would need between 4 and 7 of these units to give one air exchange per hour.

Isn't this quite a lot? I thought these were generally configured to give air exchange rate of about .35 per hour?

I'd be interested to learn more as I'm considering retrofitting a system to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Isn't this quite a lot? I thought these were generally configured to give air exchange rate of about .35 per hour?

I'd be interested to learn more as I'm considering retrofitting a system to my house.

An air exchange rate of approx 0.35 makes more sense with Syds figures. So an installation with 2 units or one large unit wouldn't be unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

sydthebeat wrote: »
    b) 0.3 l/s per m2 internal floor area, e.g. 30 l/s for
    a 100 m2 dwelling.

So for the OP this works out to be 324m3/hr

I use the simpler: Vol * .5 = 300 x 2.5 x .5 =375m3/hr

So looks like those initial units are undersized for your house size - and in general a larger unit will be cheaper than 2 smaller units - shop around for a larger system

Borzoi wrote: »
    So for the OP this works out to be 324m3/hr

I use the simpler: Vol * .5 = 300 x 2.5 x .5 =375m3/hr

So looks like those initial units are undersized for your house size - and in general a larger unit will be cheaper than 2 smaller units - shop around for a larger system

where does that formula come from??

• Advertisement

where does that formula come from??

Sorry, but it's just a quick Rule of Thumb :D

Borzoi wrote: »
    Sorry, but it's just a quick Rule of Thumb :D

:confused:

don't you think its slightly inappropriate then, to advise someone to go off and source a larger product based on a 'quick rule of thumb'?

are you a supplier?

:confused:

don't you think its slightly inappropriate then, to advise someone to go off and source a larger product based on a 'quick rule of thumb'?

are you a supplier?

Don't be so quick to disparage Rules of Thumb, they're endemic within engineering
    An immense treasure trove containing hundreds of equipment symptoms, arranged so as to allow swift identification and elimination of the causes. These rules of thumb are the result of preserving and structuring the immense knowledge of experienced engineers collected and compiled by the author - an experienced engineer himself - into an invaluable book that helps younger engineers find their way from symptoms to causes.

Did you reference your calculation source? Both our sizing methods come out with similar results, so I'm not sure what your problem is with it.

I am not a supplier, though I am 2 decades into a career as a design engineer of HVAC&R systems. I thought I made a helpful contribution, which both you and the OP are free to ignore.

forgive me borzoi.. i meant no offence, i suppose im a bit inquisitive by nature.

The reason i asked about the formula is because i have seen established engineer 'rules of thumb' go out the window over the last few years due to the more exacting science of domestic house building.

if someone is planning to build a low energy dwelling, then the more exact the sizing of energy consuming installations, the better. It sjust the way things are going.

again, i meant no offence, and a person with your experience would be a great addition to debate on this forum.

by the way my source material was the draft for the new updated building regulations part f 'ventialtion'.

The reason i asked about the formula is because i have seen established engineer 'rules of thumb' go out the window over the last few years due to the more exacting science of domestic house building.

by the way my source material was the draft for the new updated building regulations part f 'ventialtion'.

No offence taken.

Just to be clear, the RoT I used is not from the Wileys book - in fact these days I'm not sure of it's origin. You are right in that ROTs do change and adapt - but you still find them everywhere

With regard the actual case in point - really the best way to design is on a per room basis, I think the CIBSE guides have a recomendation, and then sum it up, apply a diversity load factor (ie another RoT :rolleyes:) and use that as your start.

However looking at the OPs situation it's a function of price, airflow and quality. Shop around, let the suppliers to the work for you if you don't have the technical expertise, then compare their offerings. The reality is that with a real world situation, it's unlikely that you will notice the difference between a system that delivers 0.5 AC/hr and 0.4 AC/hr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

gears - we were just (app. 400m2) on the cusp of having one very big unit, but in the end we went for two smaller (app. 250m2) units. Our rationale being that one will be in "normal" mode for the heavily-used side of the house and the other for the lightly-used/guest rooms in "low" mode, but turned to "normal" when people are staying.

Can definitely recommend fitting HRV if you can get decent levels of air-tightness.

SSE

Advertisement