Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous to use the same estate agent for buying & selling ?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm considering upgrading from a 3 bed to a specific 4 bed that I spotted.
    Wife and kids are quite happy in the current house so I dont see us moving unless we can get this specific 4 bed.
    i.e. ideally I would want to move in lockstep.

The 4 bed has been on the market a while and is not in great nick - the estate agent is obviously having difficulty shifting it.
    My 3 bed has a 100 foot west facing back garden and is close to luas etc top spec inside and I dont think I would have a problem selling it if the price is right
    (houses are still selling in my estate btw)
    In such a scenario I'm wondering if I would be better off contacting the selling agent wrt my own house also.
    Wouldn't this incentivize him ?
    Or is this a dangerous thing to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

petergdub wrote: »
    i.e. ideally I would want to move in lockstep.
    What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

In lockstep - in a single step i.e. close on both at about the same time.
    The market is moving + I have a family, so I don't want to be left with either 0 or 2 houses for any period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

petergdub wrote: »
    Wouldn't this incentivize him ?

It might give him a better idea of how much you have to spend on the new property. It might incentivize him to squeeze the max price out of you.

Advertisement