Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend, 20/21 March 09

• 19-03-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

High definition reality on real grass with real boots for real supporters at real venues. Really.

20 Mar 2009 Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Shamrock Rovers Dalymount Park
    20 Mar 2009 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Galway United Carlisle Grounds
    20 Mar 2009 Derry City 7:45 Cork City The Brandywell
    20 Mar 2009 Dundalk 7:45 Drogheda United Oriel Park
    21 Mar 2009 Sligo Rovers 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic The Valley

Dublin derby could go any way but I'm hoping quality will out in the end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Any chance of posting 1st Division fixtures also?
    Most footie sites are blocked.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mar 20 Limerick 37 v Athlone Town
    Mar 20 Mervue Utd v Finn Harps
    Mar 20 Sporting Fingal v Wexford Youths
    Mar 20 UCD v Monaghan Utd
    Mar 21 Longford Town v Kildare County
    Mar 20 Waterford Utd v Shelbourne

Bohs v Rovers should be a cracker

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Really not looking forward to going to Dalymount on Friday after last week, the comedown of standing in that dump will be brutal. It will probably piss rain too.

No idea what the result will be tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RustySpoon wrote: »
    Most footie sites are blocked.

SectionF does that as a little joke, he never posts the FD fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

CiaranC wrote: »
    Really not looking forward to going to Dalymount on Friday after last week, the comedown of standing in that dump will be brutal. It will probably piss rain too.

I wouldn't be worried too much, we're f*cking awful atm.

• Advertisement

Mar 21 Waterford Utd v Shelbourne

Correction :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Don't worry, the weather should be dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Des wrote: »
    Best foot forward and all that, Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, it's hard to imagine anywhere More Real (tm) than the Connaught street side.

I can't call the result which has to be an improvement on last season.

I'd like to see Bradley (if fit) have a go in the middle, and let SR play wider. We will miss Maguire if he's not fit, but hopefully Twigg will look as bright as he did last week. If Dessie scores again, then maybe he'll earn the right to milk it in front of the fans. Maybe.

Elsewhere, Bray to bring Galway bandwagon down. Win for Dundalk, Draws at Sligo and Brandywell.

stovelid wrote: »
    In fairness, it's hard to imagine anywhere More Real (tm) than the Connaught street side.
    Looks nice from a pitch width away ;)

Here Setanta's previews roundup. Not a bad job at all...

• Advertisement

By the way, is The Valley another name for The Showgies?

Or was somebody compiling the championship fixtures at RTE before they did the LOI? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

SectionF wrote: »
    High definition reality on real grass with real boots for real supporters at real venues. Really.

I'm following the Drogs to Dundalk so the real grass bit is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PDN wrote: »

The good surface might encourage your lot to play some passing football!!:pac:

Goin to Oriel to hopefully see us get this season underway eventually with a home win. Sorta thinking it could be a draw but we really have to go for it. Looking forward to a big crowd this week again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Gloryhunting tbh.

;)

Correction :

Good spot, fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I reckon bray won't be good enough to bring the bandwagon down but it'll shake it i'd say a score draw

PDN wrote: »
    This is true. 'Mostly real grass' doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

RustySpoon wrote: »

There should be a first division thread tbh. It would save me having to wade through the mostly pathetic bitter ramblings that go on in there. Longford and Athlone fans are exempt from that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sadly I have no one to ramble with. *sniff*

The story so far
    Bohs 1-0 Rovers
    Byrne pen
    Bray 1-2 Galway
    Kavanagh Faherty,McBrien
    Derry 0-0 Cork
    Dundalk 1-0 Drogheda
    Turner pen

All square in first division

• Advertisement

Mar 20 UCD v Monaghan Utd 2-0

The rest are all 0-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A brilliant half of football at Dalymount. The skill from the likes of Crowe, Ndo, Brennan and Cahill is too much for the defences. Great to see attacking football from both teams.

3-0 Dundalk now.

Bohs' 2nd was an absolute peach. great work from Ndo, great through ball from Deegan, great pull back from Ndo, great finish from Byrne.

City one nil up away to the jesters.

Shels one up in Waherfur, we'll be three for three after this.

Ucd winning against mons, and fungal one up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mar 20 UCD v Monaghan Utd 2-0

The rest are all 0-0

Mervue went 1-0 up before half time.

Feck, Bray equalise against Galway United, penalty on 88.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Derry score twice in last minute.

Cork drogs fighting for last ?

Bloody hell, we gave away 2 penalties in the last 5 mins inc injury time, thankfully we saved one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

On another matter, i noticed a small portion of rovers fans directing racist abuse towards Ndo. Disgraceful actions from those 'fans'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What a performance. How do you like them apples Roddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bohsoz vs Shams was a brilliant match for the neutral. Deegan was immense delighted to see him getting on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Had a treble on Dundalk, Bohs and Derry, quite nerve wrecking tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Derry game was a crap 90 min but a fantasic extra 3 mins :D:D:D:D

On another matter, i noticed a small portion of rovers fans directing racist abuse towards Ndo. Disgraceful actions from those 'fans'
    What part of the Connaught were you in? The whole lot of us were directing abuse at him, but i certainly heard no racist abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gimmick wrote: »
    City one nil up away to the jesters.

We Jesters were only clowning around with you and let you lead with an offside goal until the 90th min :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What part of the Connaught were you in? The whole lot of us were directing abuse at him, but i certainly heard no racist abuse.

twas on tv and clearly audible, obviously you were in a different stadium so heard nothing or whatever is the rovers excuse these days.

Pats fans well a minority/majority whatever is the excuse for saying its only 1 and not a problem are going to slaughter him.

oddly he has played more minutes for Bohs this season than he did for Pats last season, 6 more games and he has played for Bohs more than he did for us in 2 seasons.

a **** of the highest order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

About the only positive about Jason Byrne scoring is that it wasn't Glen Crowe

dreamers75 wrote: »
    twas on tv and clearly audible, .

Didn't hear it. What was the exact chant/sound that was made?

Joe has obviously deigned to honour Bohs with some consistent application. Good of him. A waster, basically.

Rovers made a decent enough showing until running out of steam, especially in the first half. Any of the missed chances for us may have altered things, but Baz also kept us in it, to be fair.

It's hard to look past Bohs again this season as they were pretty awesome in the second-half. You get the team you pay for, I guess. If the shit does hit the fan for them soon, I hope it will all have been worth it.

As for Byrne - trying to take Baz out and then shushing the away fans when you went off. Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nice win for Dundalk. Could have scored six or seven. Sending off helped but we would have beat them anyway. Georgie and Turner were on top form while Singh was much better than his previous outings. Fabio almost scored against his old club with a belter that hit the bar. Another 4000+ crowd too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Doolin on the radio this morning, sayign that shipping late goals is a hang over from last year, that he hasnt had enough time with the players, that their mentality isnt right, every excuse he could think of.

this was the same cork city that came out of examinership to win the setanta cup and finished the season on a high, but doolin reckons that all their problems this year is down to last year.

i'm sick of the whinging bollix already.

MNS, MNS what's the score?
    MNS, what's the score? :pac:

An absolutely brilliant performance in a thriller of a match puts the knockers in their place and gives the lie to the shameful message of that programme.

Could have knocked four past them if it hadn't been for a superb performance from the second best keeper in the league.

keeeeeeeely1.jpg
    keeeeeeeely2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

At the start of the season I stated that N'Do was "washed up". Having just watched a recording of last nights excellent game I'd like to retract that ridiculous remark. Jesus, he was fantastic in the second half. Would have given him the MOTM but in fairness Deegan was impressive as well.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    twas on tv and clearly audible, obviously you were in a different stadium so heard nothing or whatever is the rovers excuse these days.
    I didnt hear anything. (Unlike Pats, we bring fans to matches so its difficult to hear everything that goes on).

Lad on our forum says some kids were imitating a spurs song about Sol Campbell or something. Disgraceful. That **** pisses me off more than hooliganism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

stovelid wrote: »
    Didn't hear it. What was the exact chant/sound that was made?

Joe has obviously deigned to honour Bohs with some consistent application. Good of him. A waster, basically.

Rovers made a decent enough showing until running out of steam, especially in the first half. Any of the missed chances for us may have altered things, but Baz also kept us in it, to be fair.

It's hard to look past Bohs again this season as they were pretty awesome in the second-half. You get the team you pay for, I guess. If the shit does hit the fan for them soon, I hope it will all have been worth it.

As for Byrne - trying to take Baz out and then shushing the away fans when you went off. Classy.

Rovers played some good stuff by times alright, some very promising bursts through the middle. As for Jayo, from my view it looked as if he was going for the ball and Murphy made the most of it.

bohsman wrote: »
    As for Jayo, from my view it looked as if he was going for the ball and Murphy made the most of it.
    Definitely. I don't think the ref even saw it, as he was running back up the field. He was far too excitable all night, and overall it wasn't a dirty game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Crazt last few mins at the Carlisle.

McCabe's first peno was perfect. Right in the corner, Ryan had no chance. His second he went the exact same way. He didn't get it right in the corner and Ryan was alert enough to get down. Both were penos. First was handball, second was a blatant foul.

It was a cracking game last night. The first three goals were all very well worked. Galway deserved something but they'll be happy with a point when they almost lost it. Bray should be happy with a point. I don't really think we deserved to win it.

bohsman wrote: »
    Rovers played some good stuff by times alright, some very promising bursts through the middle. .

Bradley looked very bright for us and perhaps should be moved into the middle. His free was a peach and may have unsettled you with another inch. But no team in the division could have lived with Bohs at times last night. The title must be a certainty, barring any off-the-field disasters.

Great advert for the derby and the league though. Without the two goalies, there could have been another 3-4 goals.
    Lad on our forum says some kids were imitating a spurs song about Sol Campbell or something. Disgraceful. That **** pisses me off more than hooliganism.

Bebo gobshites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wouldn't it be great if MNS put together a 10 minute of highlights of last nights televised game? All MNS show is the chances on goal and the 10 seconds leading up to those goals. It would be a great advertisement for the league if they showed the passing moves involving Crowe's intelligent back heals, Ndo's skill, etc. Goalscoring chances aren't everything and to be perfectly honest MNS's video highlights are terribly boring. They also fail to show any replays and even though the games are televised with live commentary they'll probably cut that out again and present it as a news report.

If I had a blank DVD spare I'd be putting together the highlights myself now to show those that don't watch the game in this country. That 90 minutes flew in because of the football on show.

Finally, he had a very tough game against Ndo but I was impressed again with Simon Madden at right back for Rovers. He's really good on the ball and he also put in a few good tackles last night. Ndo was left free a lot of the time when Bohs had the ball and it's up to the likes of Bradley to be covering for Madden in those situations.

Cracking Derby :D We played well but Rovers were unlucky to hit the post twice in the first half and I think if either had gone in it would have been a different match. Barry Murphy had an absolute cracker of a game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement