Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guttering is overflowing

Options
  • 19-03-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

I have a single storey extension on the back of the house. The guttering on the main house discharges onto the roof of the extension through a downpipe - but the water flows freely down the extension roof in an unshielded/unlined channel formed by the roof tiles. When the water falls off the roof tiles on the extension, it is overflowing the guttering. I have black plastic half round guttering on the extension. Is there any way to shield the guttering at this point to make sure it doesn't overflow? I haven't managed to find an appropriate accessory for this - not sure if one exists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Minder wrote: »
    I have a single storey extension on the back of the house. The guttering on the main house discharges onto the roof of the extension through a downpipe - but the water flows freely down the extension roof in an unshielded/unlined channel formed by the roof tiles. When the water falls off the roof tiles on the extension, it is overflowing the guttering. I have black plastic half round guttering on the extension. Is there any way to shield the guttering at this point to make sure it doesn't overflow? I haven't managed to find an appropriate accessory for this - not sure if one exists.

If all of the roof drains flow down a single channel in the roof of the extension, then in our weather there would be one hell of a lot of water flowing down that channel at some speed and no half round gutter will cope with it. Could you not simply pipe the main roof drain down the extension channel to a separate down pipe beside the one from the extension gutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

It a crap system that I inherited when we bought the house. If I pipe the first down pipe across the extension roof, will there be any problems with securing a down pipe across the extension roof?

As I look at the house there is one downpipe on the right hand side of the extension. But there are two down pipes on the main roof. So the water from the left hand side has to collect in the half round gutter and flow the full width of the house across the extension gutter to discharge into the only drain on the right hand side. Hopeless.

Advertisement