Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire Overcharging?

• 19-03-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Clearwire are charging me €49.95 per month for their 2mb connection. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be €39.95.
    Is this because I only signed up for 12months? I can't remember as this was almost 2 years ago. Also, it said on the
    box that the max speed was 1.5 mb/s. Are they having a laugh on me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Their products may have changed, but only for new sign-ups. Existing customers often don't get the new price/speed, unless you sign a new contract. Some ISPs give it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Your best bet is to call them, sounds like they need to be straightned out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Ye, I will. I've heard a few horror stories about them before.
    To be fair, if they're right, I'll clear it up here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

jor el wrote: »
    Their products may have changed, but only for new sign-ups. Existing customers often don't get the new price/speed, unless you sign a new contract. Some ISPs give it for free.
    Exactly how I would see it also. If you ask to cancel though, maybe they will try and retain you by offering it to you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

devnull wrote: »
    Exactly how I would see it also. If you ask to cancel though, maybe they will try and retain you by offering it to you ;)

well i have the 1mb package from them was paying 30 a month a complete rip
    anyway contract ened a while ago and i mentioned i was moving and that the service wasn great and i cant use it wirelessly so on so forth and they cut my bill in half and and gave me a wireless router so that was nice of them but they are very slow none the less

• Advertisement

They got the Netgear 834's pretty cheap though apparently, thats the only reason they're giving them away. They're specially used as retention tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Ah I found an up to date forum for Clearwire, I see alot of people giving out about them, honestly I did have problems with them when I first joined them.
    1.No connection
    2.No assistance with problems
    3.No set dates for billing

But I have been with them over 2 years now and I found them to be getting better, I was given the wireless router and usb router for free and my bill is only €13.50 a month, for those who say it is slower then dial up I never had that problem. P2P blocking, very few if any. I eeven play online on my PS3 and it works perfect, I have better connection then some of my firends with BT, Eircom and NTL broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

3.No set dates for billing

I f*****g loathe that habit, specially with telecommunications companies, it seems to be a speciality with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Amalgam wrote: »
    I f*****g loathe that habit, specially with telecommunications companies, it seems to be a speciality with them.
    Oh god yea, even with my NTL it's always the same story. I mean I set up direct debit for a REASON, but it always seems to be a few days before I get paid :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the problem with clearwire is they only do their accounts on one day a month and if the accounts person is sick etc everything gets delayed also if you have issues with them you should keep copies of all emails and speedtests for the small claims court as that is the only way they will release you from their contracts. they operate ou of solicitors offices so know exactly what to do.

• Advertisement

Dean: There is no chance they are making a profit on what they are charging you, what they have done is what is commonly known as a "Last resort retention" they may not necessairly make anything on you, but they feel it's better to keep you in their custom rather than lose you.

Foggy Lad: Historically I believe that was the case yes, but things ahve changed in the last few months, if you have been reading the press lately you will have noticed that the customer are and billing team are no longer actually in Dublin and instead are outsourced to Belfast.

The solictors office are just that, nobody from the company I would have thought worked there. If you really want to speak to the CC guys you have got a long journey to Belfast, I'm sure if you search around the net you can find out where exactly they are based however.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Always remember that if you are paying by direct debit you are entitled to a clear 14 days notice from the date you receive your bill to the date your account is debited. Thats a basic rule of the direct debit system.

Any direct debit complaints contact the folks at www.ipso.ie who are always claiming that the direct debit system is wonderful!!!!! And that all the billing companies are models of integrity!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement