Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first solely online newspaper

• 19-03-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

the link below is the first solely online newspaer to be rolled out in ireland and england.

http://www.carrickgazette.ie/

my pic is on the front page..:D

is this the way the industry is going??

what yours toughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

ha, I like this discussion, It has been going on for quite a few years now. Basicly there's 2 "camps", the established press who say "no" and then a movement which is called "civilian journalism" who say "yes".

For many years, with the upcoming of all the modern technology, it was thought that blogs, online newsites etc were going to entirely take over the function of newspapers and TV. However, I was found that the information posted on those blogs and sites were either unchecked and didn't have the same "credibility" established companies have.

Also, with technology being available to a bigger group of people, most press now also rely on getting information through 'random' people, because they would be the ones capturing the scoops. The plane crash on the river Hudson, the airplane flying into WTC, and many more 'exclusive' footage are being send in by people to newsstations whereas their normal reporters weren't anywhere near the events.

I myself do not think that's the way it's gonna go. At this stage I think there is a bit of a "symbioc" relations between the 2. They need eachtother to survive. I do not see "paper" newspapers being replaced by online ones, not at least for another good decades. In general the quality is just not the same, sources aren't checked as they should and they have what a call a "CNN approuch": get the news out first, then check the sources and correct along the way.

Thats my 2 cents for now (I really like this discussion :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's another one also claiming to be the first online-only paper in Ireland:http://www.kilkennyalive.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For the record, the Sporting Life newspaper went online only several years ago, having originally been a broadsheet Mon-Sat daily.

http://www.sportinglife.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

but can sporting life still be bought on the shelf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

conair01 wrote: »
    but can sporting life still be bought on the shelf?

No but then again it's not an online newspaper either. It's a BSkyB website that replicates content from across the sky online sports platforms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

solely online newspaper

Oh I think they came up with a name for that... eh.. website. Yeah that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

thanks gary for your intellectual input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

conair01 wrote: »
    the link below is the first solely online newspaer to be rolled out in ireland and england.

http://www.carrickgazette.ie/

my pic is on the front page..:D

is this the way the industry is going??

what yours toughts?

I'm with Gary on this one. That's a fairly ridiculous claim. What distinguishes a "solely online newspaper" from a site that contains news but doesn't have any print presence ? They can't just start a site, call it some newspapery like name and then make ludicrous statements like the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carrick Gaz ed

I think its time to clear up a few points here.

CarrickGazette.ie is a dedicated online eNewspaper and not just a spin-off of an existing printed publication. It IS the first eNewspaper of its type and format published either in Ireland or the UK. This is a fact that has already been verified by the relevant authorities. For persons therefore to question that claim is absurd.

CarrickGazette.ie was launched PURPOSELY without pomp or ceremony in advance of other publishers as a new medium in journalism covering local news, sport and items of interest.

CarrickGazette.ie is MORE than a website. It has considerable advantages over mainstream printed local media. Growing daily and weekly hits testify to its popularity.

I AM a member of what has been described on this forum as 'the established press.'

What is a ‘civilian’ journalist? There are journalists and those who are not journalists. It is as simple as that. I have been a working journalist and NUJ member for twenty years in National, daily and Sunday newspapers, radio and television. I have been a staff reporter and editor of several publications, both local and national , in that time.

I do NOT publish material for the sake of the scoop and I stand behind everything which appears in CarrickGazette.ie. Everything I publish is thoroughly researched and credible. The quality of my journalism has NEVER been questioned.
    What others do online is not my concern.

As far as I'm concerned this puts this discussion to bed and I will not comment on it any further.

The Editor
    CarrickGazette.ie

////ENDS///

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok, thanks everyone for the input.

I must have missed the later part of this thread first time around but from where i'm standing its heading as far away from photography as could be which after all is the purpose of this forum as supported by the charter. Perhaps its more suited to a media forum?

With right of reply used I'm now deeming this thread to have run its course.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement