Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Development

Options
  • 19-03-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

hi,

ive been reading a bit about proposed plans for development in the city over the next few years (work related). I was wondering what thoughts people have on this with particular emphasis on Georgian Town, KIngs Island, The Docklands and The Riverside. I think the Council have done a great Job in developments along o'callaghan and clancy strands in recent times. The docklands is in serious need of development, and there is already an over-supply of grubby apartments around the area. So what do people think? what would you like to see done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

I'd like to see the Old Dunnes, Penneys & Burger King see the wrecking ball-do nothing for the city really.
    The apartments in Steamboat Quay need to be knocked-there was talk of a mini IFSC down by the Docklands but I'm not sure will that happen/be delayed in the present economic climate.I hope it does as the Docklands is still quite run down inparts.
    Hopefully the City Council will start cleaning up & pedestrianising William Street -it really is tacky.
    I hope that the revamp of the train & bus station can happen because it does need a make over.
    The city has come on a lot but there's still parts of it that still look rubbish.
    Anyone know if the Hanging Gardens development on Henry St has stalled?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Georgian Town, KIngs Island, The Docklands and The Riverside.

Where is Georgian Town? Are you referring to Newtown Pery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone know if the Hanging Gardens development on Henry St has stalled?

Yes, it has.

Of course when I reported this last Nov/Dec? I nearly had my head bitten off. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This economic recession is a false illusion created by the elites.

God will people ever get it. Why should we let this stop us. There is this huge panick about this doom and gloom, it seems thats this is the way it's gonna be until we finally come to our senses and take control of our reality.

But onto topic, the Hanging gardens why can't they just complete it? How did they run out of money. Panicking much? Henry street is prime street that is buzzing. I don't see why they couldn't of just finished it and lease it out.

Also any news on the Parkway, work picking up? They should at least build it, at least it's built until the economy picks up again.

And the Marks and Spencers are they going ahead in the Crescent. I would like to see the crecent getting there revamp. Limerick needs this investment. Crescent can competre against Galway and Cork for shoppers. If they get stores in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

mysterious wrote: »

Also any news on the Parkway, work picking up? They should at least build it, at least it's built until the economy picks up again.

And the Marks and Spencers are they going ahead in the Crescent. I would like to see the crecent getting there revamp. Limerick needs this investment. Crescent can competre against Galway and Cork for shoppers. If they get stores in there.

No work on the parkway valley since last october, the construction firm owns the cranes so they are all still there, there so far into the development that it will be finished thats for sure but I don't see any movement on the site until the end of the year.

As for M&S at the crescent, I'm fairly sure I head it was rejected by an Bord Planala (or whoever) and they are trying to redesign it or something but I don't tihnk it will get through as their reason for rejecting it was traffic issues etc.

I Think Limerick is already a much better destination for shoppers than Galways and Cork (though I do like Patrick St)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Constructing these developements costs money, in both materials, labour and other overheads. Simply building these places and letting them sit there empty until things pick up does not make financial sense. Employees, suppliers, banks, etc would still have to be paid.

The reality is that banks are not lending money to just anyone anymore, they will want hard guarantees and security from these developers that they have tenants for these concret retail parks, suppliers will want payment up front for any materials supplied so that they do not get burnt by a developer going bust.

It's not just about simply finishing something that was started. Most of the tenants in these developments have pulled out because they are felling the hard times too.

Our economy like most of the western world at the moment is shrinking or "in recession" for various reasons, it's not about feeling sorry for ourselves through doom or gloom, it is about accepting the situation at hand and doing something about it. Denying the fact is just as daft as feeling sorry for ourselves.

Advertisement