Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to Slieve League

• 19-03-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Just wondering... is it difficult to drive out to Slieve League? Especially as a Canadian familiar to wide roads, looking at Google Earth, the path out to Slieve looks to require a Land Rover? I'll be visiting Co. Donegal in June and looking forward to touring around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You can drive a certain distance but after that, a good pair of hiking boots would be useful. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

there is a lower car park... 30 mins walk from cliffs... there is also an upper carpark but if you aint used to narrow roads with 200ft drop straight down.. id stick to the lower car park !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Hiya..
    I know the area very well... I go up Slieve League every summer...
    I know last year that a local bus man ran a shuttle bus up and down every day during the summer from the lower car park...
    As above, you will certainly need your hiking boots...
    hopefully the weather is on your side!! And oh by the way don't look down!!:D
    If you need any other info on the area don't hesitate to send me a PM!
    All the best,
    Candy19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Many thanks folks! I plan to head up there on the second full week of June so if you hear of a Canadian going off, it may well be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Hi Jhazon we were hiking there last weekend, well worth the trip and a walk up towards one mans pass, just be perpared for a a hike with the right cothing and equipment.

The upper car park is currenly closed as they are re-building the road so you will have to walk from the lower car park (but am sure the job should be done by june)

As you approach the lower car park there is a set of gates you have to open drive in and then close behind you.

Enjoy your time there, it is spectular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 donegal1

Hi! Last time I went there I had no problems driving up to the upper car park with a small car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Certainly no need for a landrover or any 4x4 but if you do want to chance driving up but just be weary of the road, walkers, sheep and the major drop!!!

Like Candy said about the weather, probably best to time your visit by listening to local weather reports. Be weary of quick fog decent!

Hope you enjoy it, it will take your breath away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Looking at GoogleMaps.... should I drive to Croaghlin or over to Malainn Bhig?

Does anyone have any guideance on where I should drive to for the best photo opts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Hi, I recommend that you drive up to the top car park (you take the Teelin Road in Carrick to this and follow the signs) there have been a lot of improvements this past year up there, like a new viewing deck and a better pathway up the mountain. This Facebook Group might help you a bit, if you need any info you are welcome to PM me as I live in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Depends on your nerve. I did it once and will never do it again. It was that day that I learned that I no longer have a head for heights:)

Small car is fine though, maybe better as you can get a few inches further from the edge..:eek:

Meandering round Portsalon etc found myself on another cliffhanger road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oconee

Hi,
    Those of you who have recently been there... Are there any buses from the lower car park to the top?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

No buses the day I was there about three weeks ago. Drive the car up, its safe. Just dont look left when driving up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

Not that i know of.. I'd suggest to make the walk it's really worth to experience it in the open air as oppose to taking the car, it's about a 20min walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

oconee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Those of you who have recently been there... Are there any buses from the lower car park to the top?
    Thanks!

No, the road has been widened this past year so it is grand to drive to the top carpark.

Advertisement