Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here has a road legal quad?

• 19-03-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Time to cut to the chase. Is it possible to get a quad insured for use on public roads in rep.ireland (not agri insurance)? If a bike was fully 100% road legal like this one :

http://www.fasttoys.co.uk/500es4X4.htm

Surely some insurance company would be willing to take punters on?
    Its abit ridiculous that in the UK you can get insurance on a road legal quad easily but over here you can't. Is'nt EU law for the road not the same in every country?

Any info would be great guys.

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It's only UK road legal and not Irish road legal.
    Don't think any quad will pass current Irish rules.
    96offsuit wrote: »
    Time to cut to the chase. Is it possible to get a quad insured for use on public roads in rep.ireland (not agri insurance)? If a bike was fully 100% road legal like this one :

http://www.fasttoys.co.uk/500es4X4.htm

Surely some insurance company would be willing to take punters on?
    Its abit ridiculous that in the UK you can get insurance on a road legal quad easily but over here you can't. Is'nt EU law for the road not the same in every country?

Any info would be great guys.

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Theres a guy in tramore who has a quad on the road fully insured and not through the agri route you mentioned!!i know he had an awfully hard time trying to get insurance but he got it eventually not sure how think he went to a broker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

yep I also seen them out and about on the road. I seen on in Dublin every day on my commute.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AFAIK, FBD were the crowd that were insuring quads the odd time, but like the op mentioned, it would be as part of an agri policy. Ive never heard of an insurer covering one in a similar way to a normal car policy. I think they are seen as too much of a risk. (And lets face it a lot of the time they are - completely loony things to control at speed). They are not bikes, so bike insurers dont want to know, and theyre not cars so car insurers ditto. They fall between both.

I realise they are common enough in the UK, Ive seen a few flying about, but its a moot point. Weve got different insurance companies with differing policies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭96offsuit

Theres a guy in tramore who has a quad on the road fully insured and not through the agri route you mentioned!!i know he had an awfully hard time trying to get insurance but he got it eventually not sure how think he went to a broker

whats a broker? Any names of such companies that I could try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

96offsuit wrote: »
    whats a broker? Any names of such companies that I could try?

a broker is someone who finds a policy for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well main use for these is for farmers. Ok, not always but it's probably the largest market.
    I know for sure FBD offer insurance on these which isn't a suprise realy.

Don't know about any other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭96offsuit

I was told this is the way to get around insuring a quad legally for road use:

1. Ask your insurance company to quote you for the particular quad of choice.
    2. They refuse to quote.
    3. You ask them to post a "letter of refusal" to you. (get it in writting)
    4. You get in touch with the Ombudsman and explain your case and proof of refusal of insurance quotation.
    5. Ombudsman gets in touch with your insurance company and they give you a fair quote(they don't just make up the figures either) for the quad.

You are legally entitled to get insurance cover.

So thats what I was told by a man who has a road legal quad in the west of Ireland. He said it's alot of work, but that it's the only way to go.

Thoughts??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thoughts:

Your idea of a 'fair' quote and theirs might be different.

This is always the way to force a quote from a company that refuse you, regardless of vehicle. (Say, in the case of someone with a drink conviction etc). Yes, you are entitled to cover, but that does not mean they cant charge a loading on you.

Good luck with it anyhow, and please come back and let us know what they ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Oryx wrote: »
    Thoughts:

Your idea of a 'fair' quote and theirs might be different.

This is always the way to force a quote from a company that refuse you, regardless of vehicle. (Say, in the case of someone with a drink conviction etc). Yes, you are entitled to cover, but that does not mean they cant charge a loading on you.

Good luck with it anyhow, and please come back and let us know what they ask.

you may not be as unhappy with the quote as you think using this method.

i chanced my arm with quinn (on a car), wanted to insure my '82 golf gti which they said that they cant insure me as its over 20 years old and they dont cover older cars.
    when i enquired that they cant refuse me cover and need to offer me a quote, they came back with a very reasonable offer.

didnt even need to get the ombudsman involved.

worth a try on bikes/quads aswell. you never know if you dont ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement