Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Waterford to Kilmeaden rail line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

KingLoser wrote: »
    So, I went looking for an access point to this near the city, and failed miserably.

I have family in Ballyduff and used to walk these tracks from the Kilmeaden side, but have yet to find a convenient (enough) way to get on them from the city, anyone got any good spots?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=52.271156,-7.140598&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=%3BFTqOHQMdysSS_w&mra=mi&mrsp=0,1&sz=15&sll=52.269891,-7.142873&sspn=0.018121,0.038624&ie=UTF8&ll=52.269891,-7.144547&spn=0.018121,0.038624&z=15

On the map above, I walked to point B but just found a pretty decrepit lookin farm, but it looked to be in use and was gated off so I left it be.

Point A was where I found an access point to tracks, but I think they're the remains of the old Waterford-Tramore line. I tried following them west to get to the Kilmeaden line, but it was eventually fenced off by Bypass works.

Aye, I know they run the tourist train on the tracks from April, hence my asking now. :pac:

Any help appreciated.

I know you used to be able to get to it my the mossy woods which is past the manor hotel out in butlerstown. i think its the road down to mount cosgroves plant nursery. used to go down ther fishing but havn't been there in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Point A was where I found an access point to tracks, but I think they're the remains of the old Waterford-Tramore line. I tried following them west to get to the Kilmeaden line, but it was eventually fenced off by Bypass works.

No this was (and will be) the Waterford Kilmeaden line, the problem youre having is that the track is temporarily lifted where it crosses the bypass, and for a distance beside it.

At the moment, the track stops near the WIT campus in Carriginore.
    If you walk up from B&Q as indicated on this map and turn left when you reach the new bypass, you can walk down to the railway line there.

Alternatively, you can go via the WIT campus but make sure your car doesnt get locked in the carpark by the security guy!

Please see the map below:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

wellbutty wrote: »
    No this was (and will be) the Waterford Kilmeaden line, the problem youre having is that the track is temporarily lifted where it crosses the bypass, and for a distance beside it.

At the moment, the track stops near the WIT campus in Carriginore.
    If you walk up from B&Q as indicated on this map and turn left when you reach the new bypass, you can walk down to the railway line there.

Alternatively, you can go via the WIT campus but make sure your car doesnt get locked in the carpark by the security guy!

Please see the map below:
    That's deadly dude, thanks!

Advertisement