Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 1 Exam - Practice / Revision Books?

• 19-03-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone come across any books that can aid revision at the 1st stage? Bought one and looked at a few in Easons but thought they didnt really relate to the psni exam.

The previous times I have done this exam I have missed out or passed by just a few marks. However this time I am wishing to score as high as possible to aid with my merit score.

Thanks in advance.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone come across any books that can aid revision at the 1st stage? Bought one and looked at a few in Easons but thought they didnt really relate to the psni exam.

The previous times I have done this exam I have missed out or passed by just a few marks. However this time I am wishing to score as high as possible to aid with my merit score.

iq tests and 11 plus papers, nintendo ds brain trainin, sudoku... anythin like that to get ur brain muscle pumpin!!! all it is is a glorified iq test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

hey :D being a newbie to the boards and recruitment i think it gives me the right to ask what may seem a silly question :o are you allowed to scribble rough work on the pages of the test or does the maths need to be done using the ole mental arithmetic skill :eek:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

hey :D being a newbie to the boards and recruitment i think it gives me the right to ask what may seem a silly question :o are you allowed to scribble rough work on the pages of the test or does the maths need to be done using the ole mental arithmetic skill :eek:

:)
    welcome! as far as i can remember there is a rough sheet so that you can write on and it isnt assessed. but it was back in may so i cant remember that far. i could tell you what i had for breakfast that day though.

the maths test is complicated, so make sure you brush up on the aul skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Yes there are rough sheets to scribble on etc. The are collected at the end and disposed.:)

thanks for the welcome and advice guys :) im a big scribbler!! but dammit i hate maths more of a word brain finishing uni this term so hoping my brain is still partly active and not affected by the late nights...studying of course :p lol my memory is full of useless bits of info like that aswell i can almost remember breakfast at my 11+ :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Hi guys,

There's a few books on amazon for practice psychometric tests, if you just go to the books section and search 'police test' - I got one last year and it is good for practice on the verbal reasoning, ok for brushing up on basic maths but not great for preparing you as to how hard the maths will be, you'll know what I mean as you've done it before.

Like the others say, just keep practicing as much as possible, try to google aptitude/psychometric tests for samples/practice sessions.

Oh, and leave the hard questions to the end as they are worth the same marks as the easy ones - then if you are running out of time, make an educated guess as to the right answer (so long as they tell you at the start you won't be penalised for incorrect answer). And good luck, you said you have passed before so you obviously have the ability, just be confident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

Cheers guys!

Must get the ole credit card out, get a few books ordered then and get the nose buried into some books and give it 110% this time around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

thanks for the welcome and advice guys :) im a big scribbler!! but dammit i hate maths more of a word brain finishing uni this term so hoping my brain is still partly active and not affected by the late nights...studying of course :p lol my memory is full of useless bits of info like that aswell i can almost remember breakfast at my 11+ :cool:

Im sort of in the same boat, im in my last term of a part time degree. I went into my library in college, I found 4 or 5 books with the same sort of questions as the sample papers given to us. So if any of you are still in college try your libraries before you go out and buy books.

jd83 wrote: »
    Im sort of in the same boat, im in my last term of a part time degree. I went into my library in college, I found 4 or 5 books with the same sort of questions as the sample papers given to us. So if any of you are still in college try your libraries before you go out and buy books.

good thinking! where abouts in the library should i be looking? i only ever looked in my course section then would get bored and used the google books search instead, god send for coursework ;) im thinking of just googling aptitude tests and hoping for the best, theres loads online :)

Im not sure i think they were in the hr section im my library. We have an online db so i just searched on that and found the books that way.

• Advertisement

thanks for that ill get hunting around :)

Yh well it will save ya money. No point buying a book that you will only use a few times. Even for those who arent students if you have a relative studying ask them to take a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Hi,
    does anyone know of a good book for brushing up on the maths side of things. I know i can google but I have found that quite alot of the test allow you to use calculators which obviously your not allowed to do in the IST.
    I know I could get these books and just not use the calculator but im guessing because they allow one they are going to be harder ( to acknowledge the fact your using a calculator) if you know what i mean ?
    Anyway sorry for rambling

Advertisement