Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Travel Loan

• 19-03-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

i see Bank of Ireland are doing a €2,000 interest free travel loan for students. i was thinking of going in, setting up an account, getting the loan and then simply paying off my current student loan which i have with AIB. im going on j1 this summer so i can just say i need it for that?
    would this work??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Do you know if they would do something similar but only for 1000 ? Actually, seeing as its interest free, I could just take the 2000 and immediately pay back 1000...

Can you just open an account and take out a loan immediately though ? Do you not need a history with the bank ? (I'm with AIB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm sure that will be grand. Just make sure that if they ask for proof of address that you don't show them a bank statement with loan repayments on it or you're screwed. Happened to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tracie101

i hear ulster bank give a 1900 interest-free overdraft?

i need to take out a loan this summer for travel myself but again not sure if a previous history with the bank is needed (im also currently with AIB) before applying for an overdraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 xniamhx

Does anyone know if you are allowed to have more than one bank account???????

Im with Ulster.. I have a student loan already. but i need a travel loan for summer... so could I sign up with AIB too, and get their loan?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

xniamhx wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you are allowed to have more than one bank account???????

Im with Ulster.. I have a student loan already. but i need a travel loan for summer... so could I sign up with AIB too, and get their loan?

:confused:

Of course you can have more than one bank account. :p

Does anyone know if that 1900 interest free overdraft is true? I can only see the regular 650euro one on the website.

• Advertisement

Leprachaun wrote: »

Does anyone know if that 1900 interest free overdraft is true? I can only see the regular 650euro one on the website.

I went into ulster bank during the week and enquired about it. I opened a student account and they are giving me a 1950 interest free overdraft. As far as I know it has to be paid back by the time I finish college though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

tracie101 wrote: »
    I went into ulster bank during the week and enquired about it. I opened a student account and they are giving me a 1950 interest free overdraft. As far as I know it has to be paid back by the time I finish college though!

Did you need gaurantours?

No. All you need is some form of I.D. like a passport or driving licence and of course a student card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I can confirm that the Ulster bank give this €1900 overdraft without any gurantors and you just have to sign up with the bank. It does have to be paid back before you finish your final year in college I believe, or the interest will start. It is good for those in 1st or second year of 3/4 year courses as it gives you plenty of time to pay it back.

When I signed up for this OD, the employee in the bank told me that I can get a travel loan also. I am hoping to travel this summer and work the following year, so I was thinking of going in and asking about this? Does anybody know if the student loan is available to you if you have an existing over draft out already? Also, with regards to the Bank of Ireland loan that people were talking about, I have an old bank of Ireland account and I believe I owe them like €40 because of a direct debit charity thing from 3 years ago that went in to over draft in my account. Do you think this would reflect poorly on me if I applied for a loan with them? I could always just play dumb and pretend I didn't know about it. The account was registered in an old college address from my first year in college.

Advertisement