Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take us out of the recession...

Options
  • 19-03-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

A little lighter topic about the recession..

So while we're all here sitting around bitchin and moanin about the government and the like and while we're waiting for "China or the US" to do something to boost the worlds economy what ideas could you come up with to boost our own economy or even what business venture would you suggest that could succeed in your own locality at this time. For example, I think the PC was invented in an era of recession as with most great inventions but the boards.ie ideas aren't going to be as groundbreaking!

I always think the town I live in (pop. 2000 approx) could do with a cinema as neither of the two bigger town around it have a cinema either, and in times like this where people still want to enjoy a saturday night out but have not as much as they used to have, a cinema would certainly succeed!

Ideas....?

(Maybe I'm in the wrong board here but some of the political minds on these pages seem to have good ideas to make money even in a downturn!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

B2k wrote: »
    I always think the town I live in (pop. 2000 approx) could do with a cinema as neither of the two bigger town around it have a cinema either, and in times like this where people still want to enjoy a saturday night out but have not as much as they used to have, a cinema would certainly succeed!
    But a cinema is all wrong. It shows iimported movies and sells unhealthy junkfoods. In Ireland 2.0(beta), people won't be at the cinema, they'll have second jobs doing call-centre work selling time-shares and health-plans to the Chinese.

Or, since the town is obviously too small to realise economies of scale, it'll be closed down and its population relocated to one of the main cities where it will be cheaper to live & they'll be closer to jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'd say legalise wholesale gambling á la Nevada, build a load of state-owned resorts in Kerry or someplace and use that to accrue revenue. Legalising hemp would be generate loads of money too, although you'd have a load of wrecked, annoying Brits running around the streets like zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

The government need to buy all off-licences and make them a government monopoly (like Vinmonopolet in Norway), so all profits are then used for sensible things like creating jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The government need to implement in the theory of Keynesian economics.

Extra funding for better infrastructure such as broadband, road and rail is needed to get the economy back on track. This will generate tax money back to the government and will bring interest from business from overseas countries to invest here.

The broadband situation is a laugh and its not like were america where they just build huge highways to keep employment levels high. We actually need to keep up the work being currently done on infrstructural projects.

Another area that seriously needs to be looked at now is renewable energy like electricity. Cheaper ways of emplmenting this would make our country attractive to foreign investment as the cost of running a business is here is way too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I've a great idea.....
    ...but until it's patented and marketed boards won't hear about it ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I seem to remember hearing Ireland, Finland and Russia were the only countries with large quantities of peat.

Hmmm, there's profit there somewhere, but I just can't see where yet. :)

segaBOY wrote: »
    I've a great idea.....
    ...but until it's patented and marketed boards won't hear about it ;) :pac:

If its basic your fcuked anyway even if it is patented.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lure in eccentric billionaires by charging them a few million to torture people á la Hostel. We could finally get some use out of our TD's...

tech2 wrote: »
    Extra funding for better infrastructure such as broadband, road and rail is needed to get the economy back on track....We actually need to keep up the work being currently done on infrstructural projects.
    We don't need to spend more money on roads, we just need to use them more efficiently.

Instead of decentralising everything and needing roads to ship goods all over the place, we should close down towns that have no industrial reason to exist and encourage centralisation, clustering industries near cities and worker resources where they can easily be serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

mikemac wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing Ireland, Finland and Russia were the only countries with large quantities of peat.

We could flog the lot to yanks eager for a piece of the "Old Sod".

Or invent healthy vending machines for kids in schools. Children are as fat as fools these days. Having been reared by my nan I didn't even know what the f*ck a burger was until I was 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The government need to buy all off-licences and make them a government monopoly...
    …and then they could charge us whatever the hell they want for a few beers. You really think that’s a good idea?
    Extra funding for better infrastructure such as broadband, road and rail is needed to get the economy back on track. This will generate tax money back to the government and will bring interest from business from overseas countries to invest here.
    Another area that seriously needs to be looked at now is renewable energy like electricity. Cheaper ways of emplmenting this would make our country attractive to foreign investment as the cost of running a business is here is way too high.
    Why the emphasis on foreign investment? If the last number of months has taught us anything, it’s that relying on foreign multinational investment (largely in the manufacturing sector) to act as a pillar of the economy is not a wise long-term strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

If anyone has been listening to Q102 they have a slot every evening think it s about 5 or 6 pm. Viewers ring in their ideas to get us out of the the big R. " recent ones were rent out the bus lanes for €500 a year to any commercial vehicle for use between 10 & 4. Another one was " are you coming for a pint "? Bring the Americans here for a free pint, they will each spend €1500 so it would generate 1.2B in the country. Some of the ideas are hilarious.. Tune in even if just for the giggle factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The government need to buy all off-licences and make them a government monopoly (like Vinmonopolet in Norway), so all profits are then used for sensible things like creating jobs.

:rolleyes:

they can't even run the country i don't want them fookinf up my offo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Maybe if the government stopped taking all our tax money to throw at the bloated welfare state and a public sector they're scared ****less of, then the average consumer might have more money to spend with.

Not that we would have any reason not to shop abroad with the cheaper vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We should follow New Dubliner's ludicrously off-the-wall crazy idea, and drag everybody into either Cork or Dublin, before using the rest of the country as a dumping ground for nuclear and toxic waste. We won't even have to spend any money burying the stuff.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We should follow New Dubliner's ludicrously off-the-wall crazy idea, and drag everybody into either Cork or Dublin, before using the rest of the country as a dumping ground for nuclear and toxic waste. We won't even have to spend any money burying the stuff.
    You must be desperate for a counterargument. If you're going to rebut me, do it right, don't make stuff up.

Nobody would be coerced to live in Dublin or Cork and I certainly did not advocate dumping nuclear waste in the provinces.

If people don't want to live in Dublin, that's their lifestyle choice, they may work near where they live. But let's not subsidise that choice.

Dublin jobs for people who live in Dublin: it's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

You must be desperate for a counterargument. If you're going to rebut me, do it right, don't make stuff up.

Nobody would be coerced to live in Dublin or Cork and I certainly did not advocate dumping nuclear waste in the provinces.

If people don't want to live in Dublin, that's their lifestyle choice, they may work near where they live. But let's not subsidise that choice.

How will we feed ourselves?
    What about congestion?
    Property Prices?
    Crime?
    Fire?
    Where will we house people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Do you mean remove everyone from the country and stick them in Dublin?

Excluding the dumping of nuclear and toxic waste, I assumed that I was right on the nail. Can you imagine what the world would be like if the people living outside their capital cities were excluded? This is in the realm of sci-fi super-cities where the elite city-dwellers have to protect themselves from the mob beyond the perimeter.

Are the farmers going to trot up to the city limits to charge over the odds to compensate for the lack of investment in the sticks?

Yes, off the wall ludicrously crazy idea.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Do you mean remove everyone from the country and stick them in Dublin?
    No.
    ejmaztex wrote:
    Can you imagine what the world would be like if the people living outside their capital cities were excluded?
    Who has proposed this?
    dannyboy83 wrote:
    How will we feed ourselves?
    What about congestion?
    Property Prices?
    Crime?
    Fire?
    Where will we house people?
    Food comes from farms as it does today.
    Congestion will be reduced if people live near where they work.
    Property prices are coming down and there's plenty of space in Dublin for more development. People who wish to live and work in Dublin may have to settle for smaller places than they would have down the country.
    Crime and fire will be easier to police becuase, unlike in many parts of the country, people will live closer to Garda and fire stations. It will be less expensive to provide these services as the geographical spread will be less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The government need to implement in the theory of Keynesian economics

It can't. We won't be lent the money to do fiscal expansion, we'll be lucky if we don't get crucified on interest rate charges for the amount we'll have to borrow just to make the budget balance. The US is the only country in the world that can get away with major stimulus on top of a budget deficit and even that is being questioned by some of their creditors (i.e China) at the moment.

nesf wrote: »
    It can't. We won't be lent the money to do fiscal expansion,.
    Agreed, the path we have to follow is of making the economy more efficient. The 'one for everyone in the audience' give-aways should stop.

Perhaps we should abolish TDs and just vote for political parties? Whoever wins, runs the government with a fixed budget for ministers who they appoint/hire. That might rid us of the pariochial politics that cost us so much in appeasing every village and town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The recession is over now, we're grand. just like Italia '90 fuelled the optimism that led to the growth of our economy in the 90's, the Grand Slam victory will put a new found belief into this sports mad country! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

ignore it and it will go away. I'm not an economist, but as I understand it, a recession is really about consumer confidence in the markets. So if everyone around the world, ignores the recession it will go away :D

The 'one for everyone in the audience' give-aways should stop.

Could you explain?
    Perhaps we should abolish TDs and just vote for political parties? Whoever wins, runs the government with a fixed budget for ministers who they appoint/hire. That might rid us of the pariochial politics that cost us so much in appeasing every village and town.

Only problem with your plan is that not many politicians would follow your ideas.

Could you explain?
    The idea that every town and every village, no matter how economically irrelevant, should be supprted. For example by hiring expensive civil servants to artifically create employment in remote places, like Cahirciveen.
    Only problem with your plan is that not many politicians would follow your ideas.
    It would be very difficult to get people to put the collective national interest ahead of pariochial, pork-belly politics.

The idea that every town and every village, no matter how economically irrelevant, should be supprted. For example by hiring expensive civil servants to artifically create employment in remote places, like Cahirciveen.

It would be very difficult to get people to put the collective national interest ahead of pariochial, pork-belly politics.

In these hi-tech days, distance is no object. For example, the Revenue Commissioners can catch more tax-dodgers when their one-time city offices are spread around the country.

I look forward to the launch of the manifesto for this one-member political party.

In these hi-tech days, distance is no object. For example, the Revenue Commissioners can catch more tax-dodgers when their one-time city offices are spread around the country.
    Indeed, tax-evasion and welfare abuse outside of Dublin is a problem. And, because of the wide scattering of communities, it's been necessary to open many offices around the country to deal with it.

If populations were more centralised, so too would be the services and we'd realise economies of scale & there would be no need to have so many offices around the country.

What you have not refuted is that it's more economical to service concentrated populations.
    I look forward to the launch of the manifesto for this one-member political party.
    Dublin has a population of many more than just one person.

Indeed, tax-evasion and welfare abuse outside of Dublin is a problem. And, because of the wide scattering of communities, it's been necessary to open many offices around the country to deal with it.

If populations were more centralised, so too would be the services and we'd realise economies of scale & there would be no need to have so many offices around the country.

What you have not refuted is that it's more economical to service concentrated populations.

Dublin has a population of many more than just one person.

So there's no Social Welfare fraud or tax evasion in Dublin? How many tax offices and social welfare offices are there in the eastern urban sprawl? Why don't they just have one of each?

I would remind you of what happened to Ceausescu. He wanted everybody to live in large urban areas, and even he gave up on that plan.

• Advertisement

So there's no Social Welfare fraud or tax evasion in Dublin? How many tax offices and social welfare offices are there in the eastern urban sprawl? Why don't they just have one of each?

I would remind you of what happened to Ceausescu. He wanted everybody to live in large urban areas, and even he gave up on that plan.
    Making stuff up gain I see (just like your bogus allegation that I wanted to dump toxic waste in the countryside).

I have not said that there is no tax evasion or social welfare fraud in Dublin.
    Nor have I advocated forcing people to live in urban areas.

You don't seem to be able to refute that cities are more efficient.

Advertisement