Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take us out of the recession...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

djpbarry wrote: »
    How?
    I'm curious to know why a state-owned off-license monopoly would be a good thing?

This thread was about solutions for the economy. If the government held an off-licence monopoly, they would be in receipt of all profits made on selling alcohol. How would that be a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,403 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This thread was about solutions for the economy. If the government held an off-licence monopoly, they would be in receipt of all profits made on selling alcohol. How would that be a bad thing?

sounds silly , I assume retailers make very little out of the retail price. Now if you were talking about drugs and prostitution , you might gain some net revenue for the state, that is currently untaxed:P

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

silverharp wrote: »
    sounds silly , I assume retailers make very little out of the retail price. Now if you were talking about drugs and prostitution , you might gain some net revenue for the state, that is currently untaxed:P

Why do you assume retailers make very little out of the retail price of alcohol? Why would anyone bother to open an off-licence if it wasn't going to be profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,403 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Why do you assume retailers make very little out of the retail price of alcohol? Why would anyone bother to open an off-licence if it wasn't going to be profitable?

of course they make a profit but I doubt they are any more profitable then any other retail business which of course is taxed , but all you are saying is that you want to pick an industry at random and nationalize it. Why not cinemas or video shops? maybe SPAR?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

there was a woman on the late late on Friday night who set up a website where you can log your recession ideas and they will present the best idea's to government. Does anyone know the website address???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

We don't need to spend more money on roads, we just need to use them more efficiently.

Instead of decentralising everything and needing roads to ship goods all over the place, we should close down towns that have no industrial reason to exist and encourage centralisation, clustering industries near cities and worker resources where they can easily be serviced.

Jeezes man, someone trying to resurrect Stalin and Ceaucescu in one paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Jeezes man, someone trying to resurrect Stalin and Ceaucescu in one paragraph.
    Don't be silly. You'd think I'd suggested gulags, workplace commissars, political prisons, censorship, hard currency shops for apparatchiks and mass rallies in dodgy tracksuits praising the leaders.

To face the new economic reality we have to get lean and mean, That means cutting out inefficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

To face the new economic reality we have to get lean and mean, That means cutting out inefficiency.

I agree completely, but of course, we need to house all these people, how many can you fit into your house? UNless you think we should waste money on private homes? I mean it's a waste of money to have private houses, so maybe knock down most of them and build compartments (like apartments, but much smaller) for people to live in. :D

Ignore the complaints, it's all for the good of the country.;)

Or had you planned some other form of social housing for everybody?

But what to do with the businesses that exist outside of Dublin or Cork? do they have to move as well? HP and Intel are based in Kildare and have big plants, so they'll be hard to persuade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

we need to house all these people, how many can you fit into your house?
    There's plenty of housing capacity near the major cities and also of scope for brown-field development within them. The basic idea, to concentrate populations near services is sound. So, going forward, it makes sense to devote job-creation in areas most likely to function cost-effectively in the future.
    But what to do with the businesses that exist outside of Dublin or Cork? do they have to move as well? HP and Intel are based in Kildare and have big plants, so they'll be hard to persuade
    HP and Intel are effectively in Dublin and benefits from its labour force and infracture. But, in general, if a town has functioning industry, I see no reason to disturb them and never proposed anything else. But, some towns, having failed to support themselves have been looking for hugely expensive bailouts, for example in the form of the 'decentralisation' project.

Work with me on this one, stop being reactionary. Let's find a way to make this country work more efficiently? We need to change.

Advertisement