Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Q/Final draw 20/3 11am

• 19-03-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

We're mere hours away from the Champions League draw, and with four Premier League clubs remaining, the stage is set for some thrilling encounters to be selected.

Remember, the teams left in the competition are (in order of this season's UEFA co-efficients):

Liverpool
    England
    Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Barcelona
    Spain
    Chelsea
    England
    Manchester United
    England
    Arsenal
    England
    Villarreal
    Spain
    FC Porto
    Portugal

It doesn't take a statistician to see that the draw is once again Premier League-dominated - but a closer look at the numbers suggests that there is a good chance of it producing some interesting ties.

All things being equal, and assuming a random draw, there is a a mere eight in 35 chance - or 22% - that no English team will meet another in the Champions League quarter-final draw on Friday lunchtime (LIVE on Goal.com.) Needless to say, that gives a 78% probability that a Premier League side will meet any other Premier League side.

In other words, just like last year - when Arsenal met Liverpool - we face the prospect of an all-Premier League tie when the matches are drawn in Nyon at 12:00 CET on March 20th.

But for Arsenal or Liverpool individually - and we can take this for the other English sides, too - to meet another Premier League outfit is 43% likely at the start of the draw. As for the prospect of a foreign team coming up against any given Premier League outfit, well, that's 4/7, or 57%.

As for Arsenal coming up against Liverpool themselves, well, that's easy - it's a one in seven chance that any given team will meet any other, so it's 14.3% before the draw begins. So, when you see that first team come out of the hat, take your guess for the second one and you have that much chance of being right.

But what if you sit down before the draw, write down the four combinations of teams in all four matches, and then see that they're all correct? You've just managed a one-in-105 shot, or a 0.95% chance of success come true - and that's before we take home and away advantage into account.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2009/03/19/1163842/comment-a-statistical-look-at-the-champions-league-draw

So a 78% chance of an All-English tie makes the draw a bit boring in my eyes but that still leaves the highly unlikely 22% chance of all four English sides avoiding one and other which would be great in my opinion as we could have an All-English semi-final lineup which would be a first in the competitions history.

The draw will be live on Eurosport in the morning from 11am. The quarter-final first legs will be played on 7/8 April and the return matches the following week. The four winning teams will know who they will meet in the semi-finals – taking place on 28/29 April and 5/6 May – as those pairings will also be decided during the draw ceremony. The final will be played on Wednesday 27 May at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome at 20.45CET.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

please christ Liverpool vs. United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

How the hell are Bayern, Pool, Barca and Chelsea all ahead of United in this season's UEFA co-efficients ? I dont get it at all. We are European and Premier league champions, semi-finalists FA cup, top of the premiership, and Champion league Q/finalists. Just beggars belief. Think that Uefa co-efficient is a load of bull tbh.

redout wrote: »
    How the hell are Bayern, Pool, Barca and Chelsea all ahead of United in this season's UEFA co-efficients ? I dont get it at all. We are European and Premier league champions, semi-finalists FA cup, top of the premiership, and Champion league Q/finalists. Just beggars belief. Think that Uefa co-efficient is a load of bull tbh.

It's over a 5 year period and I think it's heavily weighted towards european as opposed to domestic competitions.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

100% weighted, not heavily weighted.

mayordenis wrote: »
    It's over a 5 year period and I think it's heavily weighted towards european as opposed to domestic competitions.

That five seasons you mentioned doesnt add up. Here is what each of the five clubs have done in the past five seasons and I am baffled how United are ranked 5th out of the five. Chelsea look like the only side who should probably be above United.

Man Utd 2003-2008
    FA cup
    League cup
    Premiership x 2
    Champions League + one semi-final

Liverpool 2003-2008
    FA cup
    Champions league + one runners-up & one semi-final

Chelsea 2003-2008
    FA cup
    League cup x 2
    Premiership x 2
    Champions league semi-finalists x 3 + one runners-up

FC Barcelona 2003-2008
    La Liga x 2
    Champions league + one semi-final

FC Bayern Munchen 2003-2008
    Bundesliga x 3
    German cup x 3

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    100% weighted, not heavily weighted.

Its a 100% only got to do with the champions league ? Well then that doesnt make sense because look above to what I have wrote. United could not be 5th out of them five clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Id say it doesnt take into consideration any of the domestic cups/leagues.

And I suspect a win in the CL is very heavily weighted.

edit: but what the hell are Bayern doing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its entirely to do with performances in Europe redout. Utd are not the best in the Champions League over the last 5 years, hence why there seeding doesnt make them so. Sorry if that offends you.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its entirely to do with performances in Europe redout. Utd are not the best in the Champions League over the last 5 years, hence why there seeding doesnt make them so. Sorry if that offends you.

All I said is that co-efficient above cant be correct. How the hell are Bayern ahead of United ffs ! Liverpool, Chelsea and Barca ok but Bayern ? No way man.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

UEFA cup counts as well, but the CL is weighted heavier than that.

• Advertisement

Ok I have worked this out. Over the past five seasons United are not the fifth ranked out of the five clubs above as that would be Bayern Munich. On this seasons co-efficient only its Pool, Bayern, Barca then United and Chelsea are joint fourth equal on points. Jesus that was baffling there for moment :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Utd v liverpool PLEASE

We need revenge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It's not just about how far they get in the CL / UEFA cups.

It also takes into account the number of wins and draws.

Im guessing Bayern / Pool have won a lot more matches in the 5 year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bayern please, they are down to thier last fit striker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Utd v liverpool PLEASE

We need revenge...

Fingers crossed we get you lot to put fear of God into Vidic yet again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That five seasons you mentioned doesnt add up. Here is what each of the five clubs have done in the past five seasons and I am baffled how United are ranked 5th out of the five. Chelsea look like the only side who should probably be above United.

Man Utd 2003-2008
    FA cup
    League cup
    Premiership x 2
    Champions League + one semi-final

Liverpool 2003-2008
    FA cup
    Champions league + one runners-up & one semi-final

Chelsea 2003-2008
    FA cup
    League cup x 2
    Premiership x 2
    Champions league semi-finalists x 3 + one runners-up

FC Barcelona 2003-2008
    La Liga x 2
    Champions league + one semi-final

FC Bayern Munchen 2003-2008
    Bundesliga x 3
    German cup x 3

Nothing to do with what they win in their own country, its all how they did in Europe. United maybe holders but remember not so long ago they were knocked out in the Group stage of the Champions League that cost them alot.

Nothing to do with what they win in their own country, its all how they did in Europe. United maybe holders but remember not so long ago they were knocked out in the Group stage of the Champions League that cost them alot.

This was already mentioned albeit after I posted the quoted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Anyone but Liverpool, I dont want United having to face the Anfield factor which cant be underestimated. If we have to play them in Europe, let it be in the final.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Anyone but Liverpool, I dont want United having to face the Anfield factor which cant be underestimated. If we have to play them in Europe, let it be in the final.

No Anfield factor last weekend :D

Dcully wrote: »
    No Anfield factor last weekend :D

Okay.......how is that relevant to this thread though? I was actually saying something positive about Liverpool, you realise that don't you?

• Advertisement

Settle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just have a feeling its gonna be United v Arsenal, dont think theyve ever met in europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think it was karma who said in the 'Pool thread, and i happen to agree; as a liverpool fan i would rather United, Chelsea or Barca now than in the final. we will be beaten eventually over 2 legs in Europe again, obviously, but i really think we have a better chance of taking out those teams in a 2-legged encounter that a one-off. My initial reaction to the prospect of drawing one of these 3 was probably along the lines of 'ahhhhhhhh crap', but on reflection it wouldn't be terrible.

mind you, i still wouldn't cry about getting Porto :pac:

Just have a feeling its gonna be United v Arsenal, dont think theyve ever met in europe?

Have United and Liverpool?

I expect United and Chelsea to get handy draws and Liverpool and Arsenal to get rough draws if not each other. It's generally how these things go. In fact, I'd nearly put my house on Liverpool getting Barca and knocking them out now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fingers crossed we get you lot to put fear of God into Vidic yet again :D

or vidic will have Torres in his back pocket like most times ;)

Saturday was a once off thats all

Headshot wrote: »
    or vidic will have Torres in his back pocket like most times ;)

Saturday was a once off thats all

We've had 4 games since torres has been at liverpool - 2 last season, you would say vidic won, maybe, the first one this season torres didn't play, and the last one?

Well I've never seen 1 striker so thouroughly dominate a defender. Once off? ye have too much faith in vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You also seem to forget that it was Ferdinand who man marked/raped Torres last year, not Vidic.

Ferdinand aint the same player he was last year & Vidic is now your number one defender, so he was given the job of looking after Torres.....which ended badly, for Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Have United and Liverpool?

No. But that can wait for the final ;)

You also seem to forget that it was Ferdinand who man marked/raped Torres last year, not Vidic.

Ferdinand aint the same player he was last year & Vidic is now your number one defender, so he was given the job of looking after Torres.....which ended badly, for Vidic.

hi5.jpg

• Advertisement

Okay.......how is that relevant to this thread though? I was actually saying something positive about Liverpool, you realise that don't you?

Relax FFS , i put a smiley in there for a reason Mr no sense of humour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Geez lets hope its not an all-English semi-final - it would be a disaster for the CL having 4 of the same teams from the same country in the semi-finals plus a lot of the time English teams meet in the CL they turn out to be boring as the teams know each other so well.

For football's sake let this be Barca's year - they have been playing the best stuff in Europe this season.

My gutt instinct is it will be Barcas year, not a bad thing as i like a lot of Barca players.
    They are playing outstanding football this season.
    Guardiola is doing a fantastic job.

In fairness i do think the 8 teams left are there on merrit.
    Any of them on their day have the potential to win it.

I reckon Barca's defence will have them in trouble against the better teams. Chelsea, Pool and United have far better defences in my opinion and can all score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fair enought I was wrong

It was Rio who destroyed Torres

btw Rio has had back problems this season so its a bit unfair to say he's not the player of last season

I reckon Barca's defence will have them in trouble against the better teams. Chelsea, Pool and United have far better defences in my opinion and can all score goals.

Totally agree with you but also think Barca can outscore most teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca's defence has never ever been as good a Liverpool's or United's in the past twenty years I'd say, and it hasn't been as good as Chelsea's in the past 5. Yet in the past 5 years they've won the same amount of CL's as the first two, and more than Chelsea. Barca's play has never been defensively orientated, and never will be. I'm actually bored of that statement being made by every Tom, Dick and Harry who has watched a Liverpool or Barca game.

Totally agree with you but also think Barca can outscore most teams.

Well United locked them out last season in both legs of the semi's and Pool could certainly disrupt Barca's style of play to nearly make them ineffective I reckon. Pique and Cruyff have both said they would rather avoid Liverpool already as their style of play doesnt suit Barca. I would love Barca to knockout Pool but I reckon it will be a tough ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    btw Rio has had back problems this season so its a bit unfair to say he's not the player of last season

on the contrary, its totally fair to say Rio isn't the player he was last season, and you've given the reason yourself. Just cause its not his fault doesnt mean its not true.

Same is true for Torres, he's not the player of last season either, thanks to constant hamstring injuries stopping him reaching full fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I hope we get Bayern, just so Rafa can hopefully humiliate Klinsmann and show Hicks and Gillete how big a mistake they could have made

What are the odds on two all English quarter finals leading to an all English semi final?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought United were seeded number one in the coefficents this year because they won it? I thought that happened every year that the winner was the highest seed, even though they werent the highest in the coefficients.

Should be a fun draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Disclaimer first: I'm a liverpool fan.

I just can't see past Liverpool,Barca,and Man U for the trophy.

I'll go one step further and say that Barca will have a real chance if they don't have to face one of the other two over two legs,ie avoid them 'til the final.

While Barca have looked awsome at times this season,over two legs against Liverpool or United I'd back heavily with either of the two English teams,but in a one off final it could really go any way between any of the three.

feel free to quote me in a few weeks and destroy me at will:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Disclaimer first: I'm a liverpool fan.

I just can't see past Liverpool,Barca,and Man U for the trophy.

I'll go one step further and say that Barca will have a real chance if they don't have to face one of the other two over two legs,ie avoid them 'til the final.

While Barca have looked awsome at times this season,over two legs against Liverpool or United I'd back heavily with either of the two English teams,but in a one off final it could really go any way between any of the three.

feel free to quote me in a few weeks and destroy me at will:)
    Cool. Hope we get Liverpool. Essien to win the CL for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

CHD wrote: »
    Cool. Hope we get Liverpool. Essien to win the CL for Chelsea.

Very constructive,thank you for your well articulated arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

have a feeling utd will get chelsea.
    hope liverpool dont get chelsea for the sake of football.
    personally would like liverpool to get bayern would be easier to get a ticket for munich and its a ground i have never been to.
    heres my predictions
    liverpool v bayern
    man utd v chelsea
    arsenal v barcelona
    porto v villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm hoping for Bayern or Man Utd. Neither will be an easy tie, but they'll at least be interesting!

Apparently in the practice draw this morning, United got Liverpool and Chelsea got Arsenal................conspiracy theorists unite!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For a guaranteed stream:

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just did a random draw there:

Villareal v Porto
    Chelsea v Bayern Munich

Barcelona v Liverpool
    Man Utd v Arsenal

Me no Likey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just did a second one there:

Arsenal v Chelsea
    Barcelona v Man Utd

Liverpool v Porto
    Bayern Munich v Villareal

Twice with 3 English teams on one side and 1 on the other!

They could do 10 draws and Prem teams would prolly draw each other 6/7 times

• Advertisement
Advertisement