Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Q/Final draw 20/3 11am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Arsenal v Barca final is going to be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

iregk wrote: »
    Just been sent this and not sure of the truth in it as I've not checked it out.

apparently the team that has knocked our Real Madrid for the past 6 years has gone out to the eventual winners.

It's the team that beats the team that beats Real Madrid!

So if Chelsea can beat Liverpool they're a shoe-in...!

(edit: so last year it was Roma who beat Real, then Utd beat Roma)

A7X wrote: »
    Excellent draw. We would have to seriously mess up to not get in the final.

Bring on a Man U V Liverpool final ;)

That does'nt bear thinking about for both sets of fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Utd didn't knock out Real last year.

No, but from what he said, did they knock out the team that knocked out Madrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

apparently the team that has knocked our Real Madrid for the past 6 years has gone out to the eventual winners.

Thats not true. We knocked them out in 2006 and lost to Barca in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Roma knocked them out last year so thats wrong and I just looked back and the last time it happened was 2000-2001 and Bayern won

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Draw rigged in Utd's favour. Uefa usually give them easy groups, didn't know it necessarily followed through to knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

keano_afc wrote: »
    Thats not true. We knocked them out in 2006 and lost to Barca in the final.

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Class quote from the BBC

"Almost unbelievably, Liverpool and Chelsea are about to meet for the 23rd time in the last five seasons having met in Europe in each of their last five Champions League campaigns. Maybe they should just get a room... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I just had a flashback to about this time last year when a thread appeared which showed about an hour before the draw someone had posted up the exact fixtures for the quarter finals of the CL. Anyone know what became of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

prendy wrote: »
    can you post the odds? cant access at work.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

EF wrote: »
    I just had a flashback to about this time last year when a thread appeared which showed about an hour before the draw someone had posted up the exact fixtures for the quarter finals of the CL. Anyone know what became of this?

The matches took place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

not saying liverpool have or had it easy, dont care about their draws too much or anyones besides uniteds in general, not just this competition, not just this year! i am only ever concerned with my own teams draw cause all we can do is beat whats in front of us. But we have not had an easy draw for a long time now. we were due a theoretically easier draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Your watch was an hour slow?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2008/03/14/was-the-champions-league-draw-fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

kryogen wrote: »
    not saying liverpool have or had it easy, dont care about their draws too much or anyones besides uniteds in general. But we have not had an easy draw for a long time now. we were due a theoretically easier draw

I'm simply saying that people always tend to think their rivals have the easier draw.
    It's only natural.

Team that beats the team that beats Real Madrid

07/08 - Roma beat Real, Utd beat Roma, Utd win
    06/07 - Bayern beat Real, Milan beat Bayern, Milan win
    05/06 - Arsenal beat Real, Barcelona beat Arsenal in the finals
    04/05 - Juventus beat Real, Liverpool beat Juventus, Liverpool win
    03/04 - Monaco beat Real, Porto beat Monaco in final
    02/03 - Juventus beat Real, Milan beat Juventus in final
    01/02 - Real Madrid win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The matches took place?

:D They did indeed and United won, hope the same happens this time. But I do remember the fixtures being posted on the net before they were broadcast on tv..curious if anything more happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's a random drawing, it all evens out.

Thats clearly not true, if it were Liverpool and Chelsea might be looking foward to this!

I'm simply saying that people always tend to think their rivals have the easier draw.
    It's only natural.

your probably right there i suppose

besides, liverpool do always get an easy draw ;)

• Advertisement

not saying liverpool have or had it easy, dont care about their draws too much or anyones besides uniteds in general, not just this competition, not just this year! i am only ever concerned with my own teams draw cause all we can do is beat whats in front of us. But we have not had an easy draw for a long time now. we were due a theoretically easier draw

LOL, thats the biggest load of muck I've read in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

5starpool wrote: »
    Draw rigged in Utd's favour. Uefa usually give them easy groups, didn't know it necessarily followed through to knockout stages.

How is it rigged? Anyways I dont see how Pool fans can be giving out about who they got and comparing it to United's. Last year we had to play Barca and Chelsea as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just so we're clear -- if United win it this year it doesn't count !

These facts mean nothing tbh.

Just like the one were everytime Ronaldo has scored first in OT this season United have gone on to win the match. :(

I hate when commentators bring up these pointless facts.

These facts mean nothing tbh.

Just like the one were everytime Ronaldo has scored first in OT this season United have gone on to win the match. :(

I hate when commentators bring up these pointless facts.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is taking them seriously.

They're just interesting and fun.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LOL, thats the biggest load of muck I've read in a long time

dont read this forum much then do ya

read over some of your own comments over the past week

you will find some real ****e to have a good lol lmao lmfao omfg rofl at.

EDIT: if your really feeling adventurous id be intrigued as to what you perceive to be muck in the post though.....if it wasnt just an opportunity for you to have a pop of course with no sibstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Happy with that draw, great chance to get to the final again :)

And a chance to avenge the Porto defeat of 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I do believe the draw is rigged personally, especially after what happened last year when what the results would be were posted about a week before on the internet.

I'm just beyond happy :) Finally a good ****ing draw for us in Europe. After getting Lyon and Inter (the two hardest teams we could possibly get), then Barca in our side last year which was beyond difficult, we get probably the best draw of anyone in the tournament.
    Arsenal in the semis, home at first, will be a very tough game, there's no doubt about that. They will be in full form with their players back, and they can beat United, we all know that.

Porto are a team we should beat, even if they get 5 offside goals, and if we don't, we don't deserve to be champions.

The only problem is that we're at home first, but it shouldn't make a huge difference, if anything, I think its useful to counter Fergie's defensive nature.

I tell ya what though, the team that comes out the bottom half are definate favorites. If they can navigate those two very very tough ties, they will be trained and ready to go for the final.

If I had to predict, I'd say United - Barca final, with United - Arsenal and Chelsea Barca semis.

abelard wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think anyone is taking them seriously.

They're just interesting and fun.

Yeah I know. Just really wanted to emphisize how annoying they are when commentators mention them and then the commentators curse kicks in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Villarreal CF vs Arsenal
    Man Utd vs FC Porto
    Liverpool vs Chelsea
    FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

As a MU fan i'm happy about this obviously Chelesa V Liverpool is the big match

I'm sensing an all English Club Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dont read this forum much then do ya

read over some of your own comments over the past week

you will find some real ****e to have a good lol lmao lmfao omfg rofl at.

EDIT: if your really feeling adventurous id be intrigued as to what you perceive to be muck in the post though.....if it wasnt just an opportunity for you to have a pop of course with no sibstance

how were utd 'due' an easier draw?

and you are only ever concerned with your own teams draw? i call bull**** on that one. i struggle believing that one to be honest. everybody pays attention to who their rivals get.

sorry mods, feel free to move this into the champions league section

Everyone seems to have veered off the United Bayern final prediction. ;)

who our "rivals" get is not important though, the only team thats important is the next one we play. why focus on something the team can have no effect over?

call bull**** all you want- that also doesnt concern me :)

united were "due" an easier draw is a figure of speech, united have more often then not got a tough draw in europe (and domestically, see our FA cup draws for the last couple of years)

we were bound to get a perceived easy draw at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It's almost laughable just how one sided the potential Semi Final Brackets are. On one side we hav Man U, Arsenal, Porto and Villerreal. On the other we have Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Man U are already in the final.:pac:

who our "rivals" get is not important though, the only team thats important is the next one we play. why focus on something the team can have no effect over?

call bull**** all you want- that also doesnt concern me :)

united were "due" an easier draw is a figure of speech, united have more often then not got a tough draw in europe (and domestically, see our FA cup draws for the last couple of years)

we were bound to get a perceived easy draw at some stage

fair enough, if you genuinely don't concern yourself with your rivals' draws, meaning you genuinely don't have any other teams to compare utd's draws to in the past, then i can't argue.

still don't believe you though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Im sure thats what Fergie will be telling his players.
    Everyone seems to have veered off the United Bayern final prediction. ;)

Because it will not happen. No way, no how. Despite Bayerns fantatsic thrashing of Lisbon, they are not a top challenger. Even if they do beat Barca, which they wont, wily campaigners like Liverpool or Chelsea will have too much for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Vidic?!

:P:D

only if he can stay on the pitch lol

i do think we'll beat chelsea over the two legs... but as with everyone else im gettin almost bored with these games.

07-08

UTD: Lyon - Roma - Barca - Chelsea

Liverpool: Inter - Arsenal - Chelsea

06-07

UTD: Lille - Roma - AC

Liverpool: Barca - PSV - Chelsea - AC

05-06

UTD: Didn't make it

Liverpool: Benfica

04-05

UTD: AC

Liverpool: Leverkusen - Juventus - Chelsea - AC

And you know what all that shows?
    It's a random drawing, it all evens out.

;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    fair enough, if you genuinely don't concern yourself with your rivals' draws, meaning you genuinely don't have any other teams to compare utd's draws to in the past, then i can't argue.

still don't believe you though :)

that doesnt even make sense

im comparing manchester uniteds draw this year, to manchester uniteds draw last year, the year before, the year before the year before, and so on.... not any other team.

gimmick wrote: »
    Because it will not happen. No way, no how. Despite Bayerns fantatsic thrashing of Lisbon, they are not a top challenger. Even if they do beat Barca, which they wont, wily campaigners like Liverpool or Chelsea will have too much for them.

Fully agree. Just there were a few ppl predicting it after they thrashed Lisbon.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats clearly not true, if it were Liverpool and Chelsea might be looking foward to this!

We have faced them a lot.
    As long as we win more than we loose though, I'm happy to meet the chavs every year.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

07-08

And you know what all that shows?

;)

does it show Liverpool have harder draws then united in europe overall??

im ok with that, its not what i was talking about when i answered the poster who said united always get a poxy draw......

dont really care about who has the harder draw, united generally get tough draws, i am simply refuting the remark that we get poxy draws.

EDIT: i dont think there are an easy draws at this stage in Europe by the way, whoever you play will have gotten there on merit so they cant be taken lightly

does it show Liverpool have harder draws then united in europe overall??

im ok with that, its not what i was talking about when i answered the poster who said united always get a poxy draw......

dont really care about who has the harder draw, united generally get tough draws, i am simply refuting the remark that we get poxy draws.

I'm not saying it shows anything.

I'm simply saying that it shows that it's random.

The only real differences are ye're penchant for the French compared to ours for the Germans.

We've both had our share of games against Italian and Spanish giants.

It doesn't really show anything.

When you spend as much time in the knock out end of cups as Liverpool and UTD, it really does just even out IMO.

And I agree about there being no easy draws.

I'm not saying it shows anything.

I'm simply saying that it shows that it's random.

The only real differences are ye're penchant for the French compared to ours for the Germans.

We've both had our share of games against Italian and Spanish giants.

It doesn't really show anything.

When you spend as much time in the knock out end of cups as Liverpool and UTD, it really does just even out IMO.

And I agree about there being no easy draws.

I agree 100% with that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i do think we have the ability to beat any team over two legs then again that doesnt seem to be really in question. from lookin at the above posts it just seems like there is a general obsession with united? i mean why? i personally dont give two ****s who they get all i care about is that we beat chelsea then beat whoever we get after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

PHB wrote: »
    If I had to predict, I'd say United - Barca final, with United - Arsenal and Chelsea Barca semis.

Any particular reason why you don't think Liverpool will be there, given their recent form? or is it just blind prejudice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No easy draws and all that but probably would have preferred not to get Chelsea.

If we keep a clean sheet at Anfield then I would be supremely confident going to the Bridge.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    i do think we have the ability to beat any team over two legs then again that doesnt seem to be really in question. from lookin at the above posts it just seems like there is a general obsession with united? i mean why? i personally dont give two ****s who they get all i care about is that we beat chelsea then beat whoever we get after them.

It's mutual.

At least one of the top ten posters in this thread is a UTD supporter, and I'm sure the same can be said in the Utd thread about a Liverpool poster.
    Personally I don't understand it.
    I don't think I've once posted in the UTD thread.

I've no problem with anyone, supporting any team posting in here, but think that some UTD fans do tend to think of Liverpool almost before UTD and Visa-Versa.

Makes things interesting I suppose.

that doesnt even make sense

im comparing manchester uniteds draw this year, to manchester uniteds draw last year, the year before, the year before the year before, and so on.... not any other team.

apologies, i wasn't being clear at all.

i believe there are no 'easy' draws, of course, but some are easier than others. i don't believe utd were 'due' an easier draw, because i'm sure every team could claim that.

that was merely my point.

plus i was challenging your claim that you don't notice other teams' draws. that is all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement