Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Q/Final draw 20/3 11am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »

I'm just beyond happy :) Finally a good ****ing draw for us in Europe.

:eek:

Roma x2 , Lille...Man Utd have had fairly good draws over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SlickRic wrote: »

plus i was challenging your claim that you don't notice other teams' draws. that is all.

i never said i dont notice, i simply dont care!

you have to notice whether you want to or not.....its all over the media, but it isnt important to me who the other teams get. all roads lead to Rome so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Any particular reason why you don't think Liverpool will be there, given their recent form? or is it just blind prejudice?

Er...maybe he just thinks Chelsea will beat Liverpool.

Can't you see that's possible, or is it just blind prejudice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's mutual.

At least one of the top ten posters in this thread is a UTD supporter, and I'm sure the same can be said in the Utd thread about a Liverpool poster.
    Personally I don't understand it.
    I don't think I've once posted in the UTD thread.

I've no problem with anyone, supporting any team posting in here, but think that some UTD fans do tend to think of Liverpool almost before UTD and Visa-Versa.

Makes things interesting I suppose.

yeah i get that cos my whole family are united apart from me. The thing is there is no point arguing over the semantics of a draw. we got who we got by chance the same as united. weren't people saying the same thing about porto the last time they beat united? there is nothin to say they wont do the same now. and who knows maybe winning the champions league is just a little bit sweeter when you have to beat chelsea, Barca/Bayern and then United?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The danger is that we could meet them in the final now. And we don't want that as it would be hell over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

abelard wrote: »

+1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Tusky wrote: »
    :eek:

Roma x2 , Lille...Man Utd have had fairly good draws over the last few years.

Whatever about Lille but Roma !

Your talkin through your arse brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

A7X wrote: »
    How is it rigged? Anyways I dont see how Pool fans can be giving out about who they got and comparing it to United's. Last year we had to play Barca and Chelsea as well.

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

abelard wrote: »

no, i do see that's possible, hence why I asked 'any particular reason'. I think it's an ill-informed opinion if that is what he believes, given Liverpool's recent form, their history in this fixture and their history in the competition in general. If i said I don't see United making it past Porto without giving reasons, I'm sure it would elicit similar responses from United fans.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

the same roma that Middlesbrough knocked out of the uefa cup in 2006
    the same roma man utd beat 7-1 with alan smith on the pitch in 2007
    the same roma man utd beat in roma by sending out a reserve team to italy in the final match of the group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the same roma that Middlesbrough knocked out of the uefa cup in 2006
    the same roma man utd beat 7-1 with alan smith on the pitch in 2007
    the same roma man utd beat in roma by sending out a reserve team to italy in the final match of the group stage

i do remember when roma were good though season 2000-01 (champions of italy, unbeaten at home in 2 years) and michael owen beat them on his own

The same Roma that beat us in the first leg in 07, and Smith was great in the home leg.
    The same Roma side that played a reserve side and got beat by a reserve side.
    Same Roma side that were 2nd in their league in 07. We made it an easy tie in the end, but Roma aren't that bad a side, they ain't great for sure though. Before that game in 07 people were saying they would hammer us. After the away game in 07 people were saying they would hammer us. In 08 people said they would be out for revenge and beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

DrumSteve wrote: »
    yeah i get that cos my whole family are united apart from me. The thing is there is no point arguing over the semantics of a draw. we got who we got by chance the same as united. weren't people saying the same thing about porto the last time they beat united? there is nothin to say they wont do the same now. and who knows maybe winning the champions league is just a little bit sweeter when you have to beat chelsea, Barca/Bayern and then United?:p

Exactly.

Juve, Inter, Arsenal, Chelsea twice, Real, Barce.

Priceless memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Roma are not a great side. Especially when you consider some of the alternative draws.

Roma are not a great side. Especially when you consider some of the alternative draws.

no, they aren't a great side, but at the time they were 2nd in their league and had some very good players. They had a shocker at OT that night, where everything clicked and worked for united and everything went wrong for them.

Not being a great side does not mean they are a poor side, or an easy draw and they were certainly not considered to be an easy draw prior to the game in 07.

roma are weaker than psv, at least psv made it to a semi recently

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roma are weaker than psv, at least psv made it to a semi recently

Well then Monaco are better than Real Madrid - they got to a final more recently.

1The_Man_Who_Changed_How_Boys_and_Toys_Were_Made.jpg

Hopefully Rafa doesnt say anything to wind Drogba up this time around ! he was on fire last year in 2nd leg, at times unplayable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I think Rafa has the measure of Chelsea now. He knows how to nullify them and I fully expect Liverpool to reach the semi's. Barcelona should overcome Bayern to set up a mouthwatering clash. Liverpool have played Barcelona in the knock out stages of European football 3 times (78, 01 and 2007) and gone through everytime. Torres doesnt need any incentive against Spanish teams and the 2nd leg at Anfield will be a major factor and in my opinion, Liverpool will triumph. Unless theres a major shock, Utd should progress from the other ties and for what its worth, my opinion is as follows. By the time the final comes around, Utd will have equalled Liverpools haul of 18 league titles, theres no way Liverpool will let them come within 1 European cup of equaling our 5. Liverpool to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

JP Liz wrote: »
    I'm sensing an all English Club Final

Well that's the way it's been fixed, just won't be the one you expect. I predict an all London final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It wasn't the roma part that was the tough draw, it was the Barca part. They were magnificant against us and imo the 2nd best team in the CL.

---

Why do I think Liverpool will lose to Chelsea? I think Chelsea are a better team coming into form. I think Chelsea will be much better able to handle Liverpools pressure game than United or Madrid. They deal well with physicality. Beyond that, they have the ability to boss a midfield in a way that United don't. That's at the core of why they can beat Liverpool.
    Do I think its a definate? Not at all. It could go either way. I'd just expect Chelsea to win it, I think they are a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Champions league draw discussion moved from Liverpool thread to here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hopefully Rafa doesnt say anything to wind Drogba up this time around ! he was on fire last year in 2nd leg, at times unplayable.

Drogba's just a fool!!! Last year, all Rafa said was that Drogba's a diver.....which he is. And somehow that riled him so much that he wanted to score against us. Eh......should he not have wanted to score anyway? That's his job. Idiot.
    Then he slides along the grass in front of the Liverpool bench in 'triumph'! Yeah, but you're still a diver, Didier!
    So Rafa was right!!!!! Rafa's always right!!! (to parody Dunphy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United Chelsea Final tbh

poundhound wrote: »
    I think Rafa has the measure of Chelsea now. He knows how to nullify them and I fully expect Liverpool to reach the semi's. Barcelona should overcome Bayern to set up a mouthwatering clash. Liverpool have played Barcelona in the knock out stages of European football 3 times (78, 01 and 2007) and gone through everytime. Torres doesnt need any incentive against Spanish teams and the 2nd leg at Anfield will be a major factor and in my opinion, Liverpool will triumph. Unless theres a major shock, Utd should progress from the other ties and for what its worth, my opinion is as follows. By the time the final comes around, Utd will have equalled Liverpools haul of 18 league titles, theres no way Liverpool will let them come within 1 European cup of equaling our 5. Liverpool to win

Say more things like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Why does everyone always insist Roma is an easy draw?? Just because they got hammered in one match 2 years ago doesn't mean they're sh1te. Since then they've proven tough opponents for United, Arsenal and knocked out Real Madrid last year in a very impressive manner. They came within a whisker of winning serie A last year.

I'm a United fan, but people's ignorance of European football would almost make me want them to lose if it meant a non-English team winning the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

personally I think chelsea are a new team under Hiddink
    players like drogba are beginning to come back to form and lets not forget essien who recently just came back

Liverpool should be worried tbh especially with liverpools ace in the hole being the 2nd leg being at home a non starter

Headshot wrote: »
    personally I think chelsea are a new team under Hiddink
    players like drogba are beginning to come back to form and lets not forget essien who recently just came back

Liverpool should be worried tbh especially with liverpools ace in the hole being the 2nd leg being at home a non starter

Yeah, but if Liverpool can get bring a lead into the second leg, especially one with a clean sheet, then we make the second leg being away to our advantage.
    As has been said in the media over the last few days, Liverpool are one of the best teams in the world at holding onto a lead. The first leg at Anfield is not always a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yawn, Liverpool again. Didn't see that coming. If we beat them then we more than likely meet Barca again. I'm going to predict a replay of last years final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh I know theres lots of discussion about which way it is better to be. While I think I'd perfer in my head to be away second [I think it forces you to attack which is good for Fergie in Europe], I'm fairly sure its a shocking statistic like 80% of teams that play home first lose or something nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I must be mental but I cannot see united making the final. Arsenal or Villareal from that side.

As for the pool's side, it could be any one of the 4 with the outright winner coming from that side.

Liverpool hopefully :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

CHD wrote: »
    Yawn, Liverpool again. Didn't see that coming. If we beat them then we more than likely meet Barca again. I'm going to predict a replay of last years final.
    You mean a United win? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Omg, not Chelsea again.:o I was hoping we would avoid them this season but I guess it's destiny for us to meet in every chanmpions league. I'm not afraid of Barca though, their defence is just above average and Torres has a fantastic goal scoring record I believe against them. If we can keep him fit we should ease past Barca but I'm not sure about Chelsea. If Essien can stay fit than I think they will be very tough to beat, even more so than manc.

Whoever thinks the draw is rigged is a bloody fool. The balls are in the bowl in front of the camera. Guy picks out random ball and hands it to other guy who opens ball to reveal team all on live tv. Fuvk sake do you think them lads on stage are Harry Houdini !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

werent real madrid recently "rejuvenated" too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

ImJohn wrote: »
    Omg, not Chelsea again.:o I was hoping we would avoid them this season but I guess it's destiny for us to meet in every chanmpions league. I'm not afraid of Barca though, their defence is just above average and Torres has a fantastic goal scoring record I believe against them. If we can keep him fit we should ease past Barca but I'm not sure about Chelsea. If Essien can stay fit than I think they will be very tough to beat, even more so than manc.

Ease past Barca? Ah now, ye had a great win against the Champs but don't get carried away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Jazzy wrote: »
    werent real madrid recently "rejuvenated" too?

every team is rejuvinated and odds on favourites and brilliantly managed before they play liverpool,
    and they're tired, average and there manager has lost it if we win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have to laugh at people who honestly believe the draw is rigged just because someone predicted/guessed the draw and posted it up on the internet beforehand.

PS: Villareal will beat Arsenal. It is rigged. If it happens then this post is 100% proof it was rigged.

Why, on the outcome of todays fixtures, would the draw be rigged. It's achieved nothing.
    If it was rigged, then all four English teams would be drawn together with the winners having to face each other in the semi's so that there would be no all English final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hahaha, guess Barca may aswell let Bayern beat them, considering they have no chance against Liverpool or Chelsea. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I think Rafa has the measure of Chelsea now. He knows how to nullify them and I fully expect Liverpool to reach the semi's.

very different chelsea you faced under scolari , hiddink is a different proposition.

Chelsea to progress again this year :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why, on the outcome of todays fixtures, would the draw be rigged. It's achieved nothing.
    If it was rigged, then all four English teams would be drawn together with the winners having to face each other in the semi's so that there would be no all English final!

I know. It's baffling stuff

Another thing is people surprised at another Liverpool v Chelsea tie. 2 teams that consistently reach the latter stages of a competition, whereby the probability is quite high they will meet each other, yet people seem shocked it's happened again.

You'd swear they met 5 times in a row at 3rd round fa cup stage the way some people act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Whoever thinks the draw is rigged is a bloody fool. The balls are in the bowl in front of the camera. Guy picks out random ball and hands it to other guy who opens ball to reveal team all on live tv. Fuvk sake do you think them lads on stage are Harry Houdini !

Weighted balls maybe?

I'm sick of hearing how United got "hard draws" last year? Lyon, Roma, Barca? Lyon- French Champions ie nothing, Roma- Rubbish and Barca when they had a terrible season (and were very lucky to beat too).

Year before that: mighty Lille, Super Roma again then knocked out by Milan.

Where are these tough draws? Bye into final last year, same again this year. The top 4 teams in Europe are Chelsea, Barca, Liverpool and United. Chelsea and Liverpool have to beat 3 of the 4 to win the title, United only have to beat one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Weighted balls maybe?

I'm sick of hearing how United got "hard draws" last year? Lyon, Roma, Barca? Lyon- French Champions ie nothing, Roma- Rubbish and Barca when they had a terrible season (and were very lucky to beat too).

Where are these tough draws? Bye into final last year, same again this year. The top 4 teams in Europe are Chelsea, Barca, Liverpool and United. Chelsea and Liverpool have to beat 3 of the 4 to win the title, United only have to beat one.
    Yeah but United have to worry about all the other competitions too, Liverpool have no such concerns cos this is their only gig :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

delighted with the draw.

It'll be a united V chelsea final

0-0 FT 0-0 ET 7-8 on peno's with vidic slipping..

VIVA vidic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Villareal United Semi
    Liverpool Barca Semi

United Barca Final

Barca to win in normal time.

You heard it here first! (or maybe not, I didn't check the rest of the thread..:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hahaha, guess Barca may aswell let Bayern beat them, considering they have no chance against Liverpool or Chelsea. :D

quotes where people said this please......?

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Weighted balls maybe?

Some utter tripe there. Bye into final ! A team can only beat those who are put in front of them and United will have a tough semi if they face Arsenal who will have been strengthened by Fabregas their key player. AS FOR THE CRAP YOU WROTE ABOUT BARCA YOU KNOW NOTHING. Barca were playing below par in la liga but raised their game against United in both legs to play like the real Barca. I know as I was watching them week in week out. I am actually sick of people using your arguement. Here are the stats from the two games. Braca dominated possession in both legs like no team I can ever recall against United and the amount of shots also. Bottom line is that Uniteds defence deprived of its first choice locked them out and did a great job of it.

Champion League semi-final 1st leg
    Barca v Man Utd
    Wednesday April 23, 2008
    72.8% - Possession - 27.2%
    20 - Shots - 7
    6 - On target - 1
    1- Saves - 0
    8 - Corners - 3
    20 - Fouls - 10
    0 - Offsides - 3
    1 - Yellow cards - 1
    0 - Red cards - 0
    19 - Tackles - 35
    616 - Accurate passes - 191
    66 - Bad passes - 23

Champion League semi-final 2nd leg
    Man Utd v Barca
    Tuesday April 29, 2008
    37.6% - Possession - 62.4%
    8 - Shots - 14
    2 - On target - 3
    2 - Saves - 1
    5 - Corners - 4
    12 - Fouls - 18
    4 - Offsides - 1
    2 - Yellow cards - 3
    0 - Red cards - 0
    32 - Tackles - 25
    244 - Accurate passes - 460
    69 - Bad passes - 65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Trilla wrote: »
    United Chelsea Final tbh
    CHD wrote: »
    ImJohn wrote: »
    JP Liz wrote: »
    I'm sensing an all English Club Final
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    quotes where people said this please......?
    There ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eZe^ wrote: »
    There ya go.

ah here, there is a big difference between people saying Barca have no chance at all...which is wat you were implying people were saying......and some people saying they think it'll be an all English final, especially when other people saying they think Barca will be in it!

come on man. you're better than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement