Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees are possibly in.

Options
  • 19-03-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Well minister O'Keefe finally announced the possible introduction of some sort of college fees in september 2010 with all those in college at the moment are exempt but we may have to pay in second year.

Modedit: I've added the word "possible/possibly" because this isn't certain.

Comments

Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

announced when?? link to this announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

It was on 6.01 news theres no article up on rte.ie yet though

It was on 6.01 news theres no article up on rte.ie yet though
    any details???

He didnt say how much but said they had no other choice we wouldnt have them for first year but maybe from second year on but this years fifth years will deffinately have them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Once they take this year to sort out a proper loans system etc then I'm not too worried.

lets hope it is some well worked out loan system and not a rightout fee of like 10k a year before you get iside the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm not sure if I understand the Op but if I do then part of me is relieved that most of my family will escape fees but why would we get them in second year? Surely we would count as being in college by then and they should just leave us alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

phasers wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I understand the Op but if I do then part of me is relieved that most of my family will escape fees but why would we get them in second year? Surely we would count as being in college by then and they should just leave us alone.
    Thats not what the Batty says

ya he said we might in second year i suppose depending on the way things are and how tight for money they're going to be so we'll have to see at least one year without them. They showed something about how in britain 3rd level education costs 3500 there as oppose to 1500 here but only 450 in france so i'd say it couldn't be more than 3500 when they do come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Down with this sort of thing.

Let's see how long it ll take for the marches to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Stev_o wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing.

Let's see how long it ll take for the marches to start.
    Careful now..

Marching IMO is a waste of time. Its not gona make a dent on their decision.
    I dont mind if fees come in, as long as their is a way we can get the money for 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I saw that too.At the moment,fees a in Ireland are actually the second most expensive in Europe. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Any links nto make this more reliable?!

They did originally say nothing would be annunced until April at the least as they were still examining it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0319/6news_av.html?2510696,null,230

Great big word in the tittle, could. Its only speculation really! Basically what is being said is that they mjight, its still only media sh1t. Nothing major here, theyve been talking about these proposals for months now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They announce possibilitiies like this every so often to see what the reaction is.

so there is nothing conformed yet?

Report isn't out, so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dónal wrote: »
    Report isn't out, so meh.

I saw the thing on RTE, Bat saying it himself, as ever I wish they'd just get their act together with it, and make a firm and SOLID announcement, I'm getting really sick of this maybe maybe not crap that's been going on since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Me thinks they wont be in government to bring them in in 2010 and I think that it is unfair that current college students are going to miss this because they "already have a contract with the college". Bull****! How do they justify bringing it in for us in second year then???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    How do they justify bringing it in for us in second year then???

Does he mean that 1st and second year students will have to pay in september and all others exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Me thinks they wont be in government to bring them in in 2010
    Precisely. However I disagree with the comment about current students. Think about all the students currently in college on the basis of not having to pay fees who would be forced to drop out if they return

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Me thinks they wont be in government to bring them in in 2010 and I think that it is unfair that current college students are going to miss this because they "already have a contract with the college". Bull****! How do they justify bringing it in for us in second year then???

Because the current Leaving Cert year are not in college yet so are being given a warning that if they enter college this September that they do so on the basis that they will be paying fees from 2010 onwards and that is the 'contract' they are entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

There is no point speculating about this. However as said by others above if something is introduced between now and September there more than likely will be a clause included so that students entering collage in September will have to pay the fees after the date they are implemented.

At this point however our government is pulling at straws and testing the water to see what will happen before implementing anything. They made a dogs dinner the last time they had a brilliant idea. They are simply playing it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Precisely. However I disagree with the comment about current students. Think about all the students currently in college on the basis of not having to pay fees who would be forced to drop out if they return

Ya but we will be in that situation this time next year! I guarantee that they wont bring in a loan system. They need money NOW. We don't know what way the economy will be in 4 years time and it would be an awful embarrassment if the economy was booming again and we were the only group that has to pay fees. Like I said they need the money urgently so getting money in dribs and drabs in 4 years time is not ideal for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

this proposal of not making current students pay is only an under-handed way of minimising protesting(presents students wont give a crap!!). we have no way of organising a proper protest.and if they wanted money straight away ,,well their gona havta wait 5 years before their maxising the amount takin in by the fees. showing they dont need it that bad

WE NEED SOME TO STICK UP 4 US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I like the FG idea tbh, i dont mind paying 30% of my fees through prsi. And they are also getting rid of registration fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ya but we will be in that situation this time next year! I guarantee that they wont bring in a loan system. They need money NOW. We don't know what way the economy will be in 4 years time and it would be an awful embarrassment if the economy was booming again and we were the only group that has to pay fees. Like I said they need the money urgently so getting money in dribs and drabs in 4 years time is not ideal for this.

But you won't be in the same situation next year because you will have had 18 months warning about your fees (if they come in). The current students have entered college on the basis that it was free.

Also if fees are introduced and the economy booms again in a couple of years I don't think the government will return to free education, it has cost a fortune for the last 13 years so once fees are in they are in for the long term i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

But you won't be in the same situation next year because you will have had 18 months warning about your fees (if they come in). The current students have entered college on the basis that it was free.

Also if fees are introduced and the economy booms again in a couple of years I don't think the government will return to free education, it has cost a fortune for the last 13 years so once fees are in they are in for the long term i think.

its not free.they have already increased that "registration fee",sure il give them the tener ive got in me back pocket aswell while im at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I always knew our politicians were a bit slow.

Since the day I was born I thought "I don't think these lads know what they're at".

Advertisement