Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees are possibly in.

Options

Comments

Fad wrote: »
    I'll be happy to pay fees IF an adequate loans system is put in place, so I can stop my parents paying for me.

Really? Even though as a graduate you will be on average paying a LOT more tax for the rest of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Really? Even though as a graduate you will be on average paying a LOT more tax for the rest of your life?

Do you read anything? if the tax thing comes in, its extra tax for 10 years max, NOT the rest of my life.

I really doubt that will come in though, so I'll be happy to get into debt, hopefully it'll be like England, in or around 4 grand a year.

I really REALLY don't get why we might be getting 1 year of free fees, and then after first year we'll have to pay, not complaining, but I just cant comprehend why. Its like drug dealers, first fix might be cheap, but it'll more and more expensive.

Do you read anything? if the tax thing comes in, its extra tax for 10 years max, NOT the rest of my life.

I really doubt that will come in though, so I'll be happy to get into debt, hopefully it'll be like England, in or around 4 grand a year.

I really REALLY don't get why we might be getting 1 year of free fees, and then after first year we'll have to pay, not complaining, but I just cant comprehend why. Its like drug dealers, first fix might be cheap, but it'll more and more expensive.

I think you're reading my post the wrong way. I mean in general you will pay alot more tax as a graduate than say...a factory worker.
    I wasn't talking about any extra-taxation-for-fee's scheme.

It's bull**** that they're even considering bringing back fee's. And only for the well off... My arse. So now the well off must pay for their own kids, AND other kids to go to college?

I really hope we can get out and protest against this crap. I read somewhere during the week that we're already paying the second highest fee's in Europe.

It's a terrible way to get out of a recession - putting consumers in debt.

The only logical reason I can come up with is that they know the country is going to be down the ****ter for an awfully long time, and they dont want people getting their "free"(1.5k a year) degrees and going to a country that isn't an absolute shambles to find work.

It's bull**** that they're even considering bringing back fee's. And only for the well off... My arse. So now the well off must pay for their own kids, AND other kids to go to college?

I really hope we can get out and protest against this crap. I read somewhere during the week that we're already paying the second highest fee's in Europe.

It's a terrible way to get out of a recession - putting consumers in debt.

The only logical reason I can come up with is that they know the country is going to be down the ****ter for an awfully long time, and they dont want people getting their "free"(1.5k a year) degrees and going to a country that isn't an absolute shambles to find work.

Oh I completely agree with you, I think this is bordering on retarded bringing fees back in, but at the same time I'm beginning to feel theyre inevitable.

I dont really have a problem with the reg fee, its a bit odd, but the colleges need more funding so its a way of getting it.

It'll be interesting to see how much the fees will be, I heard someone say that Private Colleges like Griffith were cheaper than NUIs and TCD when fees were in. (Not that I'd consider going to GCD though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It'll be interesting to see how much the fees will be
    I don't have the precise figures on me (due to being in bed... I love laptops), but undergraduate courses in TCD cost somewhere between 5 and 7 grand. (You get a bill of sorts for it when you register for college, and then apply for the government to pay it for you.) That's the full price (well, not including registration fee which will probably be about 1.5k next year), though if that's whats charged, should/when fees come in, is another question. I would assume it is, however.

And as far as paying the highest fees in Europe, well, there are plenty of countries in Europe that don't have any fees at all, or if they do, they're very low (ie 1k a year in Belgium, from what I've been told). Speaking to people from mainland Europe can be an eye-opening and depressing experience.

• Advertisement

I don't have the precise figures on me (due to being in bed... I love laptops), but undergraduate courses in TCD cost somewhere between 5 and 7 grand. (You get a bill of sorts for it when you register for college, and then apply for the government to pay it for you.) That's the full price (well, not including registration fee which will probably be about 1.5k next year), though if that's whats charged, should/when fees come in, is another question. I would assume it is, however.

And as far as paying the highest fees in Europe, well, there are plenty of countries in Europe that don't have any fees at all, or if they do, they're very low (ie 1k a year in Belgium, from what I've been told). Speaking to people from mainland Europe can be an eye-opening and depressing experience.

Laptops ftw, on my bed myself, I could probably reach all my TCD info, but ya know effort..........:P

I wonder if we'll have to pay the full fees like a non EU student (Will the government cut all funding?), Depends, I'd be quite happy to defer for a year and re-apply to UCAS and get an even better degree if we have to pay 7 grand, like rent+fees+life wouldnt be too far off that for a year in the UK.

Oh the possibilities, I know you dont know, but do you suspect you'll be hit by fees?

Laptops ftw, on my bed myself, I could probably reach all my TCD info, but ya know effort..........:P

I wonder if we'll have to pay the full fees like a non EU student (Will the government cut all funding?), Depends, I'd be quite happy to defer for a year and re-apply to UCAS and get an even better degree if we have to pay 7 grand, like rent+fees+life wouldnt be too far off that for a year in the UK.

Oh the possibilities, I know you dont know, but do you suspect you'll be hit by fees?
    Hm, non-EU students have to pay something like 25k a year, if they brought that in there'd be WAR I'd say. Or rather, the numbers going to college would be slashed dramatically.

I don't think existing college students will have to pay fees... I think that was announced recently (not that promises from the government mean anything ;p). If they did bring them in, well, there'd be more protesting I can imagine, I'd be locked in a room trying to get schols, and there'd probably be higher dropout rates.

There was a figure floating around that even without fees, a year of college costs something like 8k, but I don't know how substantiated that is. (And including getting hammered every night would void it somewhat, IMO...)

Hm, non-EU students have to pay something like 25k a year, if they brought that in there'd be WAR I'd say. Or rather, the numbers going to college would be slashed dramatically.

I don't think existing college students will have to pay fees... I think that was announced recently (not that promises from the government mean anything ;p). If they did bring them in, well, there'd be more protesting I can imagine, I'd be locked in a room trying to get schols, and there'd probably be higher dropout rates.

There was a figure floating around that even without fees, a year of college costs something like 8k, but I don't know how substantiated that is. (And including getting hammered every night would void it somewhat, IMO...)

I cant see them even trying to charge us more than 8 tbh.

Batt said something about students who had been there for a while (This meaning 3rd and 4th years to me) wouldnt be hit, but I think that might be why people going in this may not have to pay, so they can ensure very few college students would actually bother protesting if they do bring them in.

(This is getting annoyingly hypothetical)

I'd say people will take college a little more seriously if they have to pay real fees, income of the Pav might drop :p

so they can ensure very few college students would actually bother protesting if they do bring them in.
    To be honest, and perhaps cynical, I believe this is the main, if not only reason they're going to exempt existing college students from having to pay fees. It leaves the burden of protest up to secondary school students, who are either too busy with their LC or too young to be politically active. A sly move indeed.

To be honest, and perhaps cynical, I believe this is the main, if not only reason they're going to exempt existing college students from having to pay fees. It leaves the burden of protest up to secondary school students, who are either too busy with their LC or too young to be politically active. A sly move indeed.

Completely agree with you.

I find it incredibly frustrating, you'll get the odd one protesting but everyone already in will be too busy having fun in college.......

Slightly more irritating is how Fianna Fail are calling people dishonest:pac:

I'd like to see how this legal action mentioned in the Independent pans out, something about how we've already applied to the CAO so its completely unfair to lump us with fees now. (Cant really see it doing anything sadly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Exactly. That really is the only reason that current students are not going to have to pay the fees. Hell, I haven't got time to go out protesting with the LC, especially the 30th March as my Irish Oral is the day after it! It is without doubt a sly move and a very calculated move at that by the government. they know well what they are doing.

Stupid cutbacks. Always hit the middle man while the super rich can still bask in the sun in Monte Carlo for 180 days a year to avoid paying taxes. Bloody disgrace. I am seriously annoyed with this government now. We need competent people there, not these buffoons!

Just want to point out, as far as I understand anyway, people starting this year wont pay fee's this year, however will start from 2010 so basically from second year onwards - as opposed to not paying for their whole 3/4 years.

+1 on them making doing a degree in another country look very attractive.

Just want to point out, as far as I understand anyway, people starting this year wont pay fee's this year, however will start from 2010 so basically from second year onwards - as opposed to not paying for their whole 3/4 years.

+1 on them making doing a degree in another country look very attractive.

Yeah I get that, but what I have a really serious problem with, is them ensuring that the entire current college population will be in 3rd year, when we have to start paying, and (If they stick to their word) the 3rd years wont have to pay. Theyre just trying to stop the current students protesting (Or it would seem VERY like that). I dunno, I kinda like that I'm being cheated now, as I recently attained the right to vote, so my opinions are being formed from my own experience of the government and not from what I've been told by my parents or something.

HISS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

true, my sister lives with a german girl and fees for a year in germany are only 1K, she couldn't believe that at the moment we have free fees but still have to pay the same as her with the 'registration fee'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Who would take the risk of paying €20k+ to go to college and walking out with little hope of a job...

All Ireland has to its name is qualified people.

20k for a degree, 5k a year is what I assume grasshopa was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

20k for a degree, 5k a year is what I assume grasshopa was talking about.

Yeah. My fees in NUIG are 6500 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/decision-on-fees-held-until-after-elections-1708455.html

So, no decision made till after the local and European elections. Which are on the 5th June...the first Friday of the Leaving Cert. Convenient, eh? :mad:

So, what do ye think is the best option? Which government do ye think has the best solution to the fees? I really hope the timing of the election doesnt put alot of leaving certs off voting...thats the governments plan, i suppose :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm seeing first-hand how ****ed third level institutions are. To those who appear in denial of this fact: where do you propose the money to rebuild them will come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm seeing first-hand how ****ed third level institutions are. To those who appear in denial of this fact: where do you propose the money to rebuild them will come from?

But do you agree with hitting just one year with thousands of college fees? I know for a fact that out of my school, if college fees come in, it will at least half the number who will go to college next year, and im sure this is true for most schools in the country. What about all those already in college, who could well afford it but will get away with free education while those who are less well off will be hit with them, just because we are going into college a year later. If they bring them in, it should be for everyone in college and it should definately be means tested.

And im sure if the government looked hard enough, they would find places where they could sacrifice expenditure, instead of sacrificing it in the education and health systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

"The minister would not spell out his preferred option but the the package is expected to include a 'study now, pay later' scheme."

That's something at least.

Oh I certainly wouldn't dispute the need for means testing - and very rigorous and staggered means testing.

But some of those who are opposed to fees being reintroduced don't even consider that good enough. Unfortunately, it's the only way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Oh I certainly wouldn't dispute the need for means testing - and very rigorous and staggered means testing.

But some of those who are opposed to fees being reintroduced don't even consider that good enough. Unfortunately, it's the only way...

Easy for you to say when you got your degree without having to pay fees.

Well yeah it is but it doesn't make my points any less pertinent. If you only knew how much pressure 3rd level institutions are under. I mean, there aren't the resources to give students the education they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

So, no decision made till after the local and European elections. Which are on the 5th June...the first Friday of the Leaving Cert. Convenient, eh? :mad:

That's ridiculous! They're seriously making it awkward for a lot of us- :mad:
    I'm sitting my exams in Waterford, but I'm voting in Wexford. Means I'll have to go very much so out of my way to vote. Still going to do it though- Gahhhhh.

Stupid fees.- "He has already signalled the end of free third-level education from September 2010." has stripped me of all hope :(

What possible alternative could Fine Gael or Labour offer?

Fees are needed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I wish o'keeffe would take his head out of his arse and just announce whats happening, so as to end the scaremongering and the speculation in the meida!

Fee's are coming back, no doubt, just hurry up and tell us who has to pay and how

Well yeah it is but it doesn't make my points any less pertinent. If you only knew how much pressure 3rd level institutions are under. I mean, there aren't the resources to give students the education they require.

Not to sound pedantic here, but how do you know?

I work in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

timmywex wrote: »
    I wish o'keeffe would take his head out of his arse and just announce whats happening, so as to end the scaremongering and the speculation in the meida!

Fee's are coming back, no doubt, just hurry up and tell us who has to pay and how

Yes, exactly. I wish they'd just let us all know what the story is!! Gahhhh

Advertisement