Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees are possibly in.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

All fee's will do is force young people out of Ireland,Taking away from educating the future of Ireland which will result in our economy being crippled for generations to come.So well done to the goverment who are just trying to make things work 'now' not looking to the bigger, picture Irelands future. Why should I be deprived of education, when older family and friends were able to without fee's?

I was already thinking of appling to England for college and If the fee's are brought in then that's defiantley where I'll be headed. Percentage of colleges in England fees don't have to be paid by all EU citizens under the age of 19.

So take a look at your options; stay in a country that are all about making people happy now, resulting in the next generation being un-educated crippling our already utter excuse for an economy, or get out while you can. Get the education you deserve.

In England college students have to pay fees. They seem to be doing alright without any mass exodus of students. The same is true for the US, Australia etc. I can't think of any countries that have brought in fees only to experience a mass exodus of young people. Remember, we had fees up until about a decade ago. The mass emigration during the 80s was due to lack of employment opportunities for graduates, not fees.
    The fact is, to go to college abroad is more expensive than to go at home. (Accommodation, etc.) Plus you don't know people, it's a new environment etc. Now some people are up for the adventure, but most 18 year olds prefer to stay at home.
    And I seriously doubt that any fees brought in would be much higher than ones England, and certainly not than ones in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I really hope we're going to find out soon whats gonna happen in September.
    If we're going to have to pay a few grand for college, a lot of people are gonna think twice about going on a 6th year holiday, or getting that car they've been saving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

They said that there wouldn't be any report until after the local elections. (;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Embyr

munchie14 wrote: »
    (present students wont give a crap!!).

WE NEED SOME TO STICK UP 4 US

It's not true that present students don't give a crap about the possible reintroduction of fees. I'm in my final year so they won't affect me personally, but I'm part of a large group of students trying to do something about it. See www.bebo.com/feemaynooth www.facebook.com/people/Fee-Maynooth/1475439997 http://www.youtube.com/user/feemaynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd go to the UK where the standard of education is higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone think that there might be some sort of exemption or reduction in fees for disabled students or those who get BTEA.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that there might be some sort of exemption or reduction in fees for disabled students or those who get BTEA.

Why would there be? Surely they plan on getting a job after college and so would be well capable of paying the fee's back just like anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ryanf1 wrote: »

It depends on the nature of the fee system, if it's a loan system then you'll have to pay it back when you get a job. If it's a graduate tax then you'll pay extra tax when you get a job, being disabled on on BTEA won't affect it.

However if it's means tested, the fact that youre on BTEA means you have low means so you's probably get a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Piste wrote: »
    However if it's means tested, the fact that youre on BTEA means you have low means so you's probably get a grant.
    Would your parents income be taken into account in this case or would you be considered financially independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I suppose it depends on your circumstances really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement