Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting dumpers

Options
  • 19-03-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Seeing the glorious day that was in it loaded up and set off down the road to do a bit of sketching. Beautiful day sun shining birds singing feeling happy bopping down the bog road near the Barna golf course.

It is 2 miles from the 12 turn left. It is so peaceful and always rain or shine a sight to behold. (Apologies if that sounded like a 4th class essay but get the picture)

I have noticed an increasing amount of rubbish from what used to be the odd ignoranaus mcdonalds cup and scangers dumping bags of rubbish is progressively becoming an out of the way tip - destroying all the joys by this bog near the lake..

Im really upset about this there is a loop just past the golf course and the amount of tin cans plastic and overall dilliberate rubbish there is unreal - even spotted a microwave. Not far from a burnt out car!!!

I wont pose the question what sort of person does this as could not begin to comprehend their make up - I do ask though what can be done about it - and how to prevent it in future.

This is such a lovely and in many ways unspoilt landscape. I have seen colours and creatures did not even know exisited down there. And now seems to be fast becoming a dump.

Sorry for the rant...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is that the first left after paddy's cross with the golf course on either side and the road leads down to Seanaphreachog?

That roadway has always had that problem, the council put up signs to stop illegal dumping there for a reason. I remember seeing two burnt cars there in 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is that the first left after paddy's cross with the golf course on either side and the road leads down to Seanaphreachog?

That roadway has always had that problem, the council put up signs to stop illegal dumping there for a reason. I remember seeing two burnt cars there in 1994

Ya thats it - have never noticed it to this extent nearly keeled over when saw the car .. Seanphreachog its called - good to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Lol i was under the impression you seen loads of ugly women aka "mingers":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Steyr wrote: »
    Lol i was under the impression you seen loads of ugly women aka "mingers":pac:

ha ha me too... didnt really expect this tbh! :D

Who ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a little canal or waterway beside Dunnes in Terryland right before the big roundabout and it is basically a dump right there on a public road, years worth of rubbish, about a foot of it carpeting the ground and its been there for months, I always cringe when I see it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a little canal or waterway beside Dunnes in Terryland right before the big roundabout and it is basically a dump right there on a public road, years worth of rubbish, about a foot of it carpeting the ground and its been there for months, I always cringe when I see it.

Oh ya - know where you are on about
    Its pretty bad there - and havent seen it in a while - must be a lot of people that think its ok to dump stuff like that - or else a minority that do it frequently. Either or could happily choke them in their own pool of crap.*

*Dont know where that came from generally abhor violence but this really hits a nerve :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Im back from London City since yesterday and we got on a DLR ( Unmanned Light Rail ) at London City Airport and stopped at Tower Hamlets ( Remember a programme called "a life of grime" lol ) and to look down around that area and a few more stops beggars belief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The thread is a lie. Tell us about all the ugly women of Galway, all 2 of them :cool: Oh I am a ladies man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Oh ya - know where you are on about
    Its pretty bad there - and havent seen it in a while - must be a lot of people that think its ok to dump stuff like that - or else a minority that do it frequently. Either or could happily choke them in their own pool of crap.*

*Dont know where that came from generally abhor violence but this really hits a nerve :(
    I think its more laziness on the councils part, most of this rubbish looks years old, they cut back all the bushes and destroyed a load of habitat a few months ago to expose all this crap then just leave it sitting there for locals and visitors to see. I dont understand what the point of doing work like that was, it was hardly a safety thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The thread is a lie. Tell us about all the ugly women of Galway, all 2 of them :cool: Oh I am a ladies man :pac:

With an apt username too...

When I began travellin was one thing that struck me - how comparably clean and tidy most (european) places are..
    Going to ring council in the morning sus out the story.

Changed the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Get a TV company to put in a couple of covert cameras & then go to the dumpers house with the evidence. Reduces rubbish & great entertainment. In many European countries there are harsh penalties for even dropping litter. If someone received a say €2000 fine here then people would be less likely to dump.

Discodog wrote: »
    Get a TV company to put in a couple of covert cameras & then go to the dumpers house with the evidence. Reduces rubbish & great entertainment. In many European countries there are harsh penalties for even dropping litter. If someone received a say €2000 fine here then people would be less likely to dump.

Mmmm RTE perhaps - maybe I could plan a stakeout disguse myself as a tree warpaint and all camcorder in hand. Then shoot them. :D Dont know if would work though...

There is a sign saying illeagal dumping €3000 fine! I wonder is there such thing as a sensor camera. Off to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Councils in the uk have been using hidden cameras at dumping sites for years. They use a simple PIR & often get vehicle numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Something similar in NUIG across from the Kingfisher and the little river is a bit of a tip as well.

Advertisement