Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Educational Psychology 09

• 19-03-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I have applied for the MA in Educational Psych in UCD this year. This is my 4th time applying, though technically speaking I ws only met entry criteria last year and this year. I made it to interview stage last year but wasn't accepted for the course.

Just wondering if anyone else has applied? Basically I'm seeking moral support I guess as if I don't get in this year I think I may crumble!!:(

Thanks
    C :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Hey, I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on this, as I'm still an undergrad (almost over that fence though!), but can I ask you what type of experience you clocked up to apply this year? It's something I want to apply for in the future and I'd really appreciate getting as much first-hand advice as possible :) Sorry, I don't mean to steal your thread :p

Hope you're successful this time anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Best of luck Croí,
    Hopefully having gone through the process last year you will feel more at ease with the interview and presentation part, I think that is the worst bit. Hope you get it this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Good luck! We've all got our fingers crossed for you.
    I think now is the time to set up a support group for people applying for ed psych.
    "You don't know man... you weren't there..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

You have to do a presentation???????????????????????????????:eek: Oh like an interview isnt bad enough!!!!

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Croí

Aw thanks for good wishes everyone! I found the whole thing such a horrendous process last year, so I'm not sure if I'm more comfortable this year...perhaps ignorance was bliss last year! I totally agree that a support group is in order!! :D I hope that it will help me to improve my presentation and interview this year though.

Simone: I did a BA in Applied Psychology, a HDIP in Primary Teaching and I have alsmost 4 years of teaching experience - 1 year in mainstream classroom and 3 years as Resource/Learning Support teacher. I also try to do any courses or seminars on Special Educational Needs that come up in my area. I hope that doesn't put you off...it's a long road!!

Thanks again :)
    Croí

• Advertisement

Good god that's alot of experience! But did u mean to say MA in applied psych? I was thinking about doing the one yr masters in applied psych in trinity next year, then Im starting volunteer work with a youth centre down the road from me asap, and im also planning on going to Belarus this summer to work with kids affected by chernobol etc, n i thought that doing that kind of work for like 2 years would make me eligible for entry? But I really don't see why the teaching experience is/was a necessity, but do you think I should try get that aswell? Also, had u ever applied for the doctorate in qub?

The teaching experience is not a necessity to get on the course but if you don't have teaching experience and a teaching qualification you would be expected to have a post grad qualification in Psychology and experience working in Psychology possibly in the area of learning disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

*Simone* wrote: »
    and im also planning on going to Belarus this summer to work with kids affected by chernobol etc

I wouldn't have thought that working with children suffering from radiation poisoning would be in line with the experience the course requires? Unless you're teaching them something?

There are BAs available in Applied psychology. There is one in IADT and in UCC and plenty in the UK.

Valmont wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that working with children suffering from radiation poisoning would be in line with the experience the course requires? Unless you're teaching them something?

They recommend any sort of experience with children, which can include those who are disadvantaged or ill. And yes I hope I'll be able to 'teach' them something, if even just a better form of life for a couple of weeks. But thanks for your concern.

Hi again

It was a BA in Applied Psych I did in UCC Simone :)

Any work with children is valuable, but I think that teaching, especially teaching children with learning difficulties/disabilities, is the best kind of experience really. I guess an Educational Psychologist spends his/her life working with such children within the education system, so it's very relevant. I did lots of subbing when I just had my BA so when you finish your undergrad you could start looking for some

Croí :)

• Advertisement

That's great advice, thanks Croi :)

Obviously that wasn't the only experience I was intending on getting, but like you said, any experience with children, especially those who are disadvantaged, is beneficial.

Unfortunetly I don't qualify for doing a hdip in teaching here, as I believe you need to have done honours irish, which I haven't. But hopefully the masters in applied psych might substitute for that? Along with other experience too of course.

Anyway when do you hear back from them? :rolleyes:

Hi Simone
    I think the applied masters will be really valuable and will allow you to get very relevant experience in psychology, if you can build up your research experience and get some work with a psychologist or perhaphs with one of the agencies that work with children and adults with learning and other disabilities that would be very beneficial too. While most of those offered places on the course are teachers, they do accept people who have no teaching qualifications and have no teaching experience.

Thanks, all the advice is really appreciated :)

I'd prefare to stick with the psychology end of things, as I don't really see how lots of pure teaching experience is relevant. Anyway, it's a long road ahead, and Im willing to get any experience necessary :) Thanks again.

They recommend any sort of experience with children, which can include those who are disadvantaged or ill. And yes I hope I'll be able to 'teach' them something, if even just a better form of life for a couple of weeks. But thanks for your concern.

I don't know the actual health problems or disadvantages that the children you may or may not be working with have but I'd imagine it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional. I say this because I have relatives who took in children displaced from the fallout in the mid 90's. Congenital deformities and thyroid cancer are some of the main illnesses resulting from the Chernobyl disaster and perhaps this would be a more 'medical' volunteer position.

http://www.volunteer.ie/ presents many less hardcore volunteer opportunities that surely meet the requirements of working with ill or disadvantaged children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional.

I really dont think you can say that! The smallest of things can improve someones life! The tinest of changes can improve quality of life, regardless of their illness.

I imagine any experience with kids will benefit the OP,its a good thing to have varied experience. I'd say there is a lot that can be learned about the mental processes and pure strenght of people living with the aftermath of chernobol. Plus there is the personal growth for the OP which is VERY improtant for anoyone wanting to become a psychologist!!

I say go for it,sounds really interesting!!!!!!!

sambuka41 wrote: »
    The smallest of things can improve someones life! The tinest of changes can improve quality of life, regardless of their illness.

In the case of Chernobyl and the illnesses brought about by it, I'd argue otherwise. I was trying to illustrate that there are plenty of opportunities for volunteering with children in Ireland and that they would more than meet the requirements for experience.

I don't know the actual health problems or disadvantages that the children you may or may not be working with have but I'd imagine it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional.

That's just about one of the most outrageous statements I've ever heard! And one that I don't think would go down too well with many care workers or volunteers.

Not that I should have to justify my own reasons for doing this, but it's a programme where they take around 50 kids from very bad backrounds, bring them to a newly refurbished centre where they stay with the team of volunteers for 2 weeks and get to engage in activities that they would never have the opportunity to do in their life, other than for this programme. So yes, it is a better form of life, for them, for this short period of time. But probably an experience they will remember for their whole lives.

Im not doing this just 'for the cv', its something Ive always wanted to do anyway, but yes it would be something I could include as relevant experience working with disadvantaged children. And yes I could do things here in Ireland, which I may well do in time, but this is just something I want to do this summer, if that's ok with you!

Why don't you share your radical opinions with all those carers who work with terminally ill children or children with birth defects, for example Barretstown, and tell them they are all wasting their time!

If it helps - in my interview last year I was asked if I had done any voluntary or pastoral work.

I won't be hearing for ages yet, first phase is on Friday, then it'll be interviews :(

I take it there's no one in the same position then?!

Emmet,

Farewell online anonymity!
    Not that I should have to justify my own reasons for doing this, but it's a programme where they take around 50 kids from very bad backrounds, bring them to a newly refurbished centre where they stay with the team of volunteers for 2 weeks and get to engage in activities that they would never have the opportunity to do in their life, other than for this programme. So yes, it is a better form of life, for them, for this short period of time. But probably an experience they will remember for their whole lives.

I didn't ask you to justify your reasons. You said you were going to volunteer with children affected by "Chernobyl etc" and "teach them" a better quality of life and this gave me the impression you didn't really know what sort of problems these children had. Also if it was a CV filler (as your post implied), I was merely pointing out that these requirements could easily be met without even leaving the country and with less seriously ill children.
    if that's ok with you!

No need to take it personally, I was just offering my opinion.
    Why don't you share your radical opinions with all those carers who work with terminally ill children or children with birth defects, for example Barretstown, and tell them they are all wasting their time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man_fallacy

Good luck Fri, I am not going through the process this year but did last year so I have some idea of what you are going through. Hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what percentage of people are accepted for the UCD programme on their first try? It'd be interesting to find out.

No need to take it personally, I was just offering my opinion.

Well I did take it quite personally! I felt I was was being unnecessarily belittled for the fact that I wanted to do volunteer work this summer!

And there's no need for that dictionary reference, I am not unjustifiably refuting your claim that "it is very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional" - I mean that claim is just so riduculous! You do not have to be a trained professional to be capable of having an impact on someones life.

Aaaanyway, this is all getting very pedantic and unnecessary and frankly we both have more important things to be doing right now! :p

Well I did take it quite personally! I felt I was was being unnecessarily belittled for the fact that I wanted to do volunteer work this summer!

How you felt belittled from that is beyond me. I only suggested that easier volunteer positions of equal suitability were present right here in Ireland without having to deal with the horrors of radiation poisoning.
    And there's no need for that dictionary reference,

It's not a dictionary reference.
    You do not have to be a trained professional to be capable of having an impact on someones life.

Again, I never said that and I didn't condemn care workers, volunteers, and the entire Barretstown institution either.
    Which is why I linked to:
    Aaaanyway, this is all getting very pedantic and unnecessary and frankly we both have more important things to be doing right now! :p

How else will I procrastinate?

That is belittling if you ask me!

"You said you were going to volunteer with children affected by "Chernobyl etc" and "teach them" a better quality of life and this gave me the impression you didn't really know what sort of problems these children had."

So is that! Suggesting that I didn't know what I was talking about!

"I didn't condemn care workers, volunteers, and the entire Barretstown institution either." ....
    "I'd imagine it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional."

And that is condemning the work of orgs like Barretstown, because a lot of them are not trained professionals, they are simply people giving up their spare time to try give a little happiness to these kids.

Now shut up and give me the last word :D

(P.s. As you may have noticed I have not managed to master the art of multi-quoting! :p)

Suggesting that I didn't know what I was talking about!

I can only respond to what's in your posts and you didn't imply you knew much about Chernobyl. That's besides the point anyway, I was using that as an example to illustrate that it would be easier to stay in Ireland while getting the same experience in a less extreme situation.
    Valmont wrote:
    "I'd imagine it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach a congenitally deformed or terminally ill child to 'have a better form of life' unless you're a trained professional."
    And that is condemning the work of orgs like Barretstown, because a lot of them are not trained professionals, they are simply people giving up their spare time to try give a little happiness to these kids.

I used the specific words "teach" and "better form of life" in my example. Did I explicitly say someone can't give happiness to a terminally ill child? No. Did I say you have to be a trained professional to have an impact on someone's life? No. Did I explicitly say workers in Barretstown are wasting their time? No. I didn't even imply it. You generalised my point far and beyond what it was intended for in order to refute my position and this is why I linked to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man_fallacy. At least read the first two lines.

We may have to take this to the Thunderdome.

I'm getting rather delerious now, and I'm too tired to retort so I'm just gonna report you for abuse instead.

Hah, only buzzin :cool:

I'm getting rather delerious now, and I'm too tired to retort so I'm just gonna report you for abuse instead.

Hah, only buzzin :cool:

haha I was just about to write something along those lines but you went first so I win;)

Well as this has been taken over for an entirely different discussion....

Thank you Moobui :) Fingers crossed!

Croí

Will have fingers crossed for Friday, not sure if I can help but if you have any specific questions PM me the thread has changed direction since you opened it!

• Advertisement

Croí wrote: »
    Well as this has been taken over for an entirely different discussion....

Thank you Moobui :) Fingers crossed!

Croí

Apologies Croi :( Got a bit carried way...

Yeah definetly best of luck, by the sounds of it you tick all the boxes so I can't see why it wouldn't be successful this time :)

Advertisement