Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who converts to commercial?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

uncle has a 05 RangeRover and wants to convert it to commercial. who does this service in ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

There really isnt that much to it.

Loads of other posts on here about it.

Body shop would prob be a good place to get a nice neat job done on the floor and windows.

If I was you I would NOT weld over the seat belt holes. Cut the head off the bolts, cut a slot in it and screw it in. Then cover with a layer of sealer to 'protect' from rust ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm pretty sure the folks I bought my van off do converts, they do on vans anyway, Harris Motors in Greenogue Business Park, Rathcoole, ask for Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

is it already on irish plates?

if so he doesnt need to do anything to the windows, maybe get them tinted if he wants. the rest of it is dead easy, any tidy welder/fabricator could do the floor and seatbelt mounts.

Man if I had the time I'd do it for him myself. but I dont :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

There's a crowd in Athenry, Galway called Ken-Cab Manufacturing that do conversions. I have no idea if they're any good or not, I've only seen an add for them. Honestly its quite easy to do if he has the time. Definately agree with Slidey about welding over the seat belt holes. If the duty has already been paid on it as a passenger jeep then he could always put the seats back in whenever he decides to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

JohnBoy wrote: »
    is it already on irish plates?

Hypothetical question and apologies in advance for the hijack.

If you wanted to bring in a proper Range Rover (not the Sport) from the UK and convert to a commercial for use as a commercial (i.e. no funny business), would it qualify for €50 VRT based on its size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

not a clue, but a quick call to your local VRO would tell you fairly quickly I'd imagine.

I'd say it nearly should

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

ask "fey " about this one he is in the middle of all the crap attached with importing and converting a jeep and oh my god what a pain in the head all seatbelts and seat mounting point need to be removed and the resulting holes filled with weld and the windows need to have metal put inside them tinting them is not enough call into your local thieves sorry revenue office and talk specifics with them they have a list of the requirments there for you but nothing unsurmountable

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

If you wanted to bring in a proper Range Rover (not the Sport) from the UK and convert to a commercial for use as a commercial (i.e. no funny business), would it qualify for €50 VRT based on its size?
    I think it has to be a purpose-built commercial for that, as in a van or a truck.
    At very least, I'd say you'd need it converted before you import. Best to call the VRO and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

im sorry but this is one of the stupidest ideas ive ever heard.
    ignoring the fact that should it be a crime to desecrate such a vehicle,
    why not sell it for whatever you can get (30k+) and buy one in england for 17stg +50 vrt + 1-2000 conversion cost.
    or better still buy a transit.

xt40 wrote: »

Having tested quite a few of these recently I have to laugh at a statement like that.

Over complicated and over glorified...

• Advertisement

depends on how you look at it.
    if you want a tractor with extra seats and a bit of comfort, buy a pajero,landcruiser etc

if you want a limo that can climb mountains, buy a rr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

why not sell it for whatever you can get (30k+) and buy one in england for 17stg +50 vrt + 1-2000 conversion cost.
    or better still buy a transit.

.....gimmeabreak, it's a Range Rover, not a Type 57 Bugatti we're talking about.......there's 1000's of them about.........

........I won't tell you about the span new ML or Golf Gti we converted in the past, to commercial, so...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

brand new = no full vrt paid so while its still stupid, i can see why some wannabees might want to commercialize an ml.
    a golf on the other hand is most definitely nothing special.

depends on how you look at it.
    if you want a tractor with extra seats and a bit of comfort, buy a pajero,landcruiser etc

if you want a limo that can climb mountains, buy a rr
    Have you any idea on how unsuitable these bloody things are for off roading?

Most have 19 inch wheels so that means they dont have off road tyres.

They are all plastic, bottoms of doors and the likes wont last long with any knocks.

I have seen them with 30k road miles and bottom ball joints needing to be replaced. The suspension is just ridiculous. There is so many arms and links to go wrong that it actually is a joke.

Just as an example of how over complicated they are, there is 8 flexi brake pipes on them. I have witnessed a 06 in the last week with 3 of these pipes featuring bulges.

Being a Landrover. It WILL leak oil. I have my suspicions they are designed by Arab Sheiks to keep oil use high :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Kanes of Granard, KVC Kilbeggan, your best bet is to ring the Motortax office in your area, failing that 'let your fingers do the walking' (golden pages)

CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

lad in londford cavan area does it!!! dermot mccabe is hes name!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Commercial Vehicle Conversion :

Requirments for 50 euro VRT :

Wheelbase must be above 2.4 meters
    GVW of vehicle must be over 2.45 tonnes

What You Have To Do :

Windows have to have Metal Instead of/In addition to glass (Metal must be welded, riveted or adhesived on (no screws)

Seats Must be removed and all mounting brackets must be cut or filled

Seatbelts have to be removed and their mounts cut or filled

A rigid metal floor level with the rest of the cab must be installed, has to be supported by metal and must be Rivited, Adhesived or welded in (no screws/bolts)

What I Did :

I converted my kia Sorento to commercial for about 250 euro (companies charge 1.5-2.5k depending on vehicle) i just bought 1.2mm steel sheet and 25mm steel box section in heatons, made a floor from that, then used 1mm steel sheet adhesived in with araldite for the windows, covered it all with cheap black carpet and VRT'd it. looks professional and holds 150-200kg no problem. Tinted the windows using the film from halfords and an underground carpark, no bubbles or anything, whole thing looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

that ken cab crowd in galway just done the bosses landcruiser, he's very happy with the job, less than a grand to do it. 091845927

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

I converted a UK Trooper a couple of weeks ago for one of my father's mates. I took out the seats and belts and put down 12mm ply on the floor covered with carpet. I used that chemical metal stuff for and exposed bolt holes (can be drilled and tapped if ever required) and I tinted the windows.

I brought it to the VRO office and the guy came out to inspect it. He asked me if it was a metal floor and I said it was, but I put timber over it for a better surface!! He wouldn't pass the windows, so I went off and bought a bit of cheap carpet and a tin of spray adhesive. I masked off the tint to protect it, cut the carpet and glued it to the glass, it was a really rough job, I had to do it in the car park of the carpet shop. I went back to the VRO office and looked for the same guy, he came out and said "that's alright, isn't it?" :D:D I pulled down the carpet then as soon as I'd left the car park.

€50 and I had my new reg number.

As far as I can see, it all depends on who you get in the VRO office, I was planning on trying 3 ofices that day, luckily I got sorted with the first one. I priced the conversion with a Co. Westmeath company and they quoted €2500 plus VAT :eek: to do the conversion. I ended up doing it for a fraction of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement