Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing with drink??

• 19-03-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hey i'm getting my tongue piercing on the 4th of april :D only problem is i have a party on the 8th! will i still have a lisp and will the sweling have gone down?? also is it ok for me to have a drink or two?? if so what would be the best [i heard not beer so what about vodka?] :confused::confused:

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Vodka has a higher alcohol percentage so if you're not well on the way to healing already then it could be a bad idea. Why not wait till after tha party to be sure of a better chance of healing up properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Alcohol + new tongue piercing = swelling and PLENTY of it. Alcohol dehydrates you- dehydration makes swelling worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoife14

well i'v waited long time so really cant realy wait any longer so two more questions.....

1) if i get it done this week can i take it out for afew hours a day??

2) if i do get it on the 4th [and no drink] will most the sweling have gone and will the lisp have gone?? is there anything i can do to make sure it is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Get it done a day or two after the party, simple.
    And no, you can't take it out, it will just heal over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

There's no real way of telling if you'll swell terribly or not. You can reduce swelling by sucking on ice, eating soft food, drinking lots of water (this means staying hydrated- avoid alcohol), avoiding smoking and taking ibuprofen/neurofen if you really need it.

If you get it done this week you'd be lessening your chances of doing damage by drinking in two weeks, so it's probably the better option- but tongue piercings can still be prone to swelling for several weeks after the initial piercing.

Not sure what you mean by your first question about taking it out for a few hours a day- are you referring to the party? If so, no, you won't be able to remove your piercing so soon after getting it pierced, the chances of it staying open for several hours are virtually nil, and it's still a fresh piercing so you shouldn't be going at/removing the jewellery yourself at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

1/You can take it out, but you won't be able to get it back in again. Don't forget you'll effectively have an open wound through your tongue, that will want to seal up as soon as possible. If you take it out any time within the first couple of weeks at least, for even a few minutes, expect to have a hard, bloody and painful time trying to get it back in. With a high risk of infection.

So, no.

2/ Do you mean if you get it done on the 4th will it still be swollen by the 8th? Probably.

As Damo said, Why not wait till after the party. Its the safest route. You've waited this long, another few days won't hurt to ensure it heals properly.
    Alcohol also thins your blood, so expect it to bleed a bit more if you get it done just before or just after the party.

Yerrr it will still be swollen. .

But. . if you really wanna take care of it . . either dont drink at the party or wait till after the party to get it done. . It will be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

i drank about 3 days after getting mine, it didnt kill me but it did slow down the healing process by a few days thats all.

Advertisement