Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

InterRail: Berlin-Ljubljana

• 19-03-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Thinking of going inter-railing for 18 days and fleshed out the following route:
    • Amsterdam
    • Berlin
    • Prague
    • Auschwitz / Krakow
    • Budapest
    • Ljubljana
    • Lake Bled
    1. Would it possible to pack the above destinations into 18 days?
    2. Would you recommend using night trains between destinations in place of staying in accommodation and getting a train in the early morning?
    3. How long would be a reasonable amount of time to stay in above destinations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Lufty wrote: »
    Thinking of going inter-railing for 18 days and fleshed out the following route:
    • Amsterdam
    • Berlin
    • Prague
    • Auschwitz / Krakow
    • Budapest
    • Ljubljana
    • Lake Bled
    2. Would you recommend using night trains between destinations in place of staying in accommodation and getting a train in the early morning?

I did the same trip as you except I went to Belgrade after Budapest. You won't need very long in Ljubliana, it's quite small and a day is fine for lake bled. Night trains are a nightmare, especially if you're passing through different countries as border guards will be on and you really, really need to keep an eye on your stuff. I was asleep on a night train in Hungary and I woke up to see a big fat man with his hand stuffed in my friends bag (it was his dirty boxers pocket:p) and he was all agro when I tried to confront him. Another factor is that you have the most craic in hostels so I'd recomment only taking the night train if you really have to.

I'd advise 3 days in Amsterdam (it is a tourist deathtrap so beware!), 3 or 4 in Berlin, 3 in Prague, 2 in Krakow (one whole day for Auschwitz is worth it) and 2 in Ljubliana or Bled. Don't plan it so meticulously as you may decide you really like somewhere and want to stay longer. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Lufty wrote: »
    • Amsterdam
    • Berlin
    • Prague
    • Auschwitz / Krakow
    • Budapest
    • Ljubljana
    • Lake Bled

Sounds outstanding, you jammy ba5tard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lufty

Valmont wrote: »
    I did the same trip as you except I went to Belgrade after Budapest. You won't need very long in Ljubliana, it's quite small and a day is fine for lake bled. Night trains are a nightmare, especially if you're passing through different countries as border guards will be on and you really, really need to keep an eye on your stuff. I was asleep on a night train in Hungary and I woke up to see a big fat man with his hand stuffed in my friends bag (it was his dirty boxers pocket:p) and he was all agro when I tried to confront him. Another factor is that you have the most craic in hostels so I'd recomment only taking the night train if you really have to.

I'd advise 3 days in Amsterdam (it is a tourist deathtrap so beware!), 3 or 4 in Berlin, 3 in Prague, 2 in Krakow (one whole day for Auschwitz is worth it) and 2 in Ljubliana or Bled. Don't plan it so meticulously as you may decide you really like somewhere and want to stay longer. Good luck.

Cheers Valmont. What a coincidence! Thanks for all of that advice, really helps. Should be a good trip, just have to count down the months to it! Also, would you recommend booking accommodation online before reaching each destination or having a look for some when we arrive there?

Just book one or two days ahead every time, use hostels.com I find that one really good and have booked over 30 hostels on it. It's good knowing that you have a guaranteed bed when you arrive in a new city and have directions to it rather than hoofing it around to different spots that may or may not be full. You'll get the better hostels the sooner in advance you book but I found 2 or 3 days ahead (sometimes 1) was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lufty

Great! Thanks for all your advice mate.

• Advertisement

The inter-rail nostalgia has definitely set in, I should start planning another trip soon, maybe for 2010!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Valmont- have you been to greece and the balkans?
    Wouldnt mind fitting it in but lookd like it could be too time consuming in terms of travel.
    Myself and my mates still cant decide should we include it in out travel plans or not

Advertisement