Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divvying rent / deposit

Options
  • 19-03-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sub-letting a room in my rented 3 bed duplex. Just one, I want the other as a spare/ computer room for the house, not just me alone.

I paid the deposit in full a couple of months ago and now I've gotten enquiries about the room. All the bills are in my name and I have bought tvs and other appliances to make theplace comfortable.

Should I ask for a deposit? I'm paying €750 and I was thinking about accepting €300 pm as a no-deposit, gentleman's agreement situation.

My agenda is that I tried and failed to buy a house a couple of years ago and they said that if I'd been paying regular rent in a place that it would stand to me. I was thinking about keeping the rent for the room sufficiently low that it would incentivise someone to take teh gentlemans agreement...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm sub-letting a room in my rented 3 bed duplex. Just one, I want the other as a spare/ computer room for the house, not just me alone.

I paid the deposit in full a couple of months ago and now I've gotten enquiries about the room. All the bills are in my name and I have bought tvs and other appliances to make theplace comfortable.

Should I ask for a deposit? I'm paying €750 and I was thinking about accepting €300 pm as a no-deposit, gentleman's agreement situation.

My agenda is that I tried and failed to buy a house a couple of years ago and they said that if I'd been paying regular rent in a place that it would stand to me. I was thinking about keeping the rent for the room sufficiently low that it would incentivise someone to take teh gentlemans agreement...

Take a deposit mate. The gentleman's agreement would simply be that if they don't destroy the place they'd get the €300 deposit back.

€300 sounds reasonable given there will only be two in the house (especially if it's a double bed). Not sure what the average is at the moment but you could probably get a little more.

Advertisement