Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Perfect Circle

• 19-03-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Was just playing FIFA 09 when my foot touched off the Xbox that was on the ground knocking it over. Put it back upright and continued playing until 20 seconds later I got a note saying the disc is unreadable. Took the game out and placed it back to go again but got the same error.

Took it out again and noticed that there is now a permanent circle about a half inch in from the edge that goes the entire way around the disc. There's a lighter circle closer to the edge just further outside from that that isn't complete.

The game hasn't been out of the Xbox much in the last month really so if the mark has been there I haven't noticed. Anyone know what to do now? Would it be the Xbox or the disc at fault? The fall itself and am I just completely out of luck and have to repurchase the game? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant the band!

Same happened to me and my copy of COD4. You may be able to go to a game's shop and see if they have a machine that'll remove the scratched layer from the disc. I don't know any that do though. So you may have to just suck it up and buy a new copy.

It's caused by the laser casing touching off the disc while its spinning, causing the circle. Usually when the console falls or moves. MS were too cheap to put a rubber gasket around it like Sony did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Yeah I came here before going to Google so doesn't seem there's any quick home solution. Don't suppose anyone knows anywhere in Dublin that does it and save a poor student splashing out 30 euro that he doesn't have?

Also I knew people would think the band..it was the first thing I thought of after I posted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

you coud try the toothpaste trick (rub toothpaste into the scratches and clean it off) and see can you save the game onto the hardrive if your xbox has 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

A possible solution might be to rent the game from Xtra-Vision/get a loan of a copy from a mate, install it to your HDD and see if the console will boot the game with your disc in the drive.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    A possible solution might be to rent the game from Xtra-Vision/get a loan of a copy from a mate, install it to your HDD and see if the console will boot the game with your disc in the drive.

Was thinking about that actually as the game will load up till the main menu.. Might give that a try.

Just in case though no one knows anywhere in Dublin that does the repairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Brimmy wrote: »
    Yeah I came here before going to Google so doesn't seem there's any quick home solution. Don't suppose anyone knows anywhere in Dublin that does it and save a poor student splashing out 30 euro that he doesn't have?

Also I knew people would think the band..it was the first thing I thought of after I posted ;)

smyths at the end of henry street have a machine that will repair discs for ya, and it aint that expensive

Redlion wrote: »
    smyths at the end of henry street have a machine that will repair discs for ya, and it aint that expensive
    Cheers. Might see if they can fix my COD4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

hands up who hasnt had this happen and who had the xbox vertical and now has it hosizonal ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

calex71 wrote: »
    hands up who hasnt had this happen and who had the xbox vertical and now has it hosizonal ??????

*puts hand up*

my friend has scratched four discs this way and still persists to leave his console in a vertical position :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I did it to GTA iv the day i got it..gutted:(..didnt know about that repair machine..cheers for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

*Puts hand up too*

Console always vertical, no discs scratched in 2+ years...

J-blk wrote: »
    *Puts hand up too*

....yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

J-blk wrote: »
    *Puts hand up too*

Three consoles in the house since launched, two vertical in the games room and a horizontal one in the sitting room. Never had a disk scratched yet (wish I could say the same for RROD!!!). Just make sure the consoles are positioned so that they can't be knocked, nudged or tripped over and never move one when the powers on or a game in the drive!

You'll have far less dust build up inside your console if you keep it vertical too... that's got to be a good thing right! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Just make sure the consoles are positioned so that they can't be knocked, nudged or tripped over and never move one when the powers on or a game in the drive!

this is the key

youre not going to scratch your discs if youre not going to knock your xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

LD 50 wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant the band!

Yeah same here! I was like wtf is this doing in the Xbox forum :confused: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Every Smyths store has a disc cleaner, or is supposed to anyway! But with this particular scratch it all depends on the severity. The majority we get in can be repaired but if the disc has been rightly screwed then it's gone unfortunately. Best thing is to being it in and have it looked at though!

Another note on this issue though, this seems to have been happening to some consoles without there being a fall or knock, seemingly a flaw in the console, and upon being reverted back to Microsoft I've known people to receive a new console and compensation for the game. Not the most common of occourences mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ms also run an exchange program for discs if they published the game.

You can pay to have it exchanged if it is outside that coverage for some games I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BBC's Watchdog program did a feature on it yesterday

And? Or did you not see it?

HMV had this for sale for 19.99. Mate asked me to pick him up a copy, I used his copy to install it to the harddrive and used the perfect circled disc to authenticate it and it's working fine now :)

Thanks for all the replies and Smyths in Henry Street don't have a buffer apparently to whoever mentioned it. Though I'm not quite sure if the guy knew what I was asking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Thanks for all the replies and Smyths in Henry Street don't have a buffer apparently to whoever mentioned it. Though I'm not quite sure if the guy knew what I was asking..

Every store is supposed to have one, they should be advertising a disc cleaning service all over the gaff! If someone in Jervis said they didn't have one then I'm gonna assume they're new and just didn't have a clue! (Come to Naas, we have cookies! :D)

i mentioned it and they do repair discs, i only just got two discs repaired there myself several weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Go to PC World or Maplins..all these shops have home disk repairers.
    About €10-20 so well worth it and they worth.

Advertisement