Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry wedding

Options
  • 19-03-2009 9:10pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. Hopefully getting married in Kerry next year. Heading down in a month to view hotels, and hopefully to set a date.

Where in Kerry did you get married, have reception, and what it like? I need a few idea's on hotels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

beertons wrote: »
    Hey all. Hopefully getting married in Kerry next year. Heading down in a month to view hotels, and hopefully to set a date.

Where in Kerry did you get married, have reception, and what it like? I need a few idea's on hotels.

Hi beertons,

I got married in Ballygarry Hotel 3 yrs ago (glup) this August and St. Brendan's Church (as it is/was my parish). Hotel is beautiful and the owner Padraig can't do enough, they really have the personal touch. It has a beautiful garden too perfect for photos and as we had a fab day we had an outside band for guests, although I can hardly remember as we were so busy with photos!!
    The only thing is it's v popular so you'd need to make a move. Have you a photographer/DVD booked in Kerry? I'm a photographer and we do DVD's too could give you a good price if you'd be interested.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

From what I've heard, Ballygarry is probably the favourite. Did you save money on anything? Seat coversfor example, we're not going to bother with them if we're asked to pay for them. How much per head were you charged for the meal? We don't want soup on our menu, and from what I've read on some of the hotel sites, one of the stipulations for hosting weddings is that they serve 4 courses of food, not including tea/coffee.

We'll see soon enough how much room we have for maneuver. We'd like to supply our own wine. But we ain't paying corkage of €10 per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭123donalo

Check out the kenmare bay hotel. Somewhere different in a great town and just 30 min from killarney. Great deals at the moment as it was recently renovated to very high standard. Have some contacts there if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

There are always a lot of weddings in Kilarney.

However given the economic climate I would assume that there is quite a lot of competition between all of the Killarney hotels and I would assume most would be receptive to negotiating

Some hotels in Killarney that do weddings (not exclusive - probably more than this)

The Killarney Park Hotel
    The Brehon
    The Killarney Oaks
    The Dunloe Hotel
    The Cahernane House Hotel
    The Malton
    Muckross Park Hotel aka Molly Darcys
    Dromhall Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 47 badkittybad

I had reception in Ballyseedy Castle in Tralee in Dec 07 and found them excellent,old castle,plenty of character,staff great help , best food I had at any wedding and Irish Wolfhound which was a great hit.
    We had 120 people,max 150 I think.

Definetly different and cheap for the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Hey all. Hopefully getting married in Kerry next year.

We all get married hopefully . . .:eek:

Friends of ours used the Brehon and spoke very highly of the day. Bit expensive perhaps.

Best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 curious15

hey i work in ballygarry and i know you may think that im only saying this because i work there but from what i hear people are always very happy with the service. the food is gorgeous and we are very genourous with it as you can have as we offfer extra potatoes and meat too !! the service is also extremely quick, and the guests at the wedding are extremely surprised at how attentive we are!!
    also at most weddings you would notice that the managers couldnt care less at how the waitresses are but i can assure you that we are all kept in line and that they care deeply about the level of service (especially padraig, the owner!!)
    i may not know too much about the prices but i do know that the seat covers cost 10 euro per chair but they look fabulous!!
    if you have any questions about it im sure i can answer them!!!

Hey

Was down in Kerry at the weekend, and saw loads of hotels.

The Killarney Avenue was nice, but doesn't do many weddings, and it showed. Next on the list was Randals, very homely and they're doig up the function room. Bernadette really went out of her way helping up, but it didn't have the setting. We went down to the Lake Hotel, and the Oak, both lovely settings too, and we'd have had no problem going up there for pics. They're too modern though, not for us. Had a look at the Europa, but the only do small weddings between November and February.

So back to Tralee and into Ballygarry. Nice hotel, and I'm sure it does host lovely weddings, but we decided to skip on it too. The next day we went to the Ballyroe, and it was beautiful. Horses for courses I suppose, but we saw ourselves having the reception there. Mark O Sullivan had no problems showing us around, and telling us next years prices have been frozen because of the economy.

Finally, on our way back to Kildare, we dropped into Ballyseede Castle. We love it. Liza met us at the door, and showed us around. The function room was done up, and can hold up to 220 people now. It's really unique, with the round tower behind the main table. And their prices are really reasonable. We provisionally booked it yesterday, will get down in 2/3 weeks to discuss prices.

We're inviting 200 odd to our wedding, and there's only 22 rooms in the Castle. But there's plenty of hotels and b&b's Kerry. We've decided to have a Friday wedding, so people have the option to stay around the next day to join the afterparty thing. If the wedding was held on a Saturday, they'd be gone by 2pm on the Sunday to get ready for work the next day.

We were delighted to hear that most of the hotels were willing to take money off the corkage. They were qouted @ €10 on the brochures, and they nearly all dropped their prices to between €4 & €6 per bottle. One guy even said €2 per person at the wedding. Two places said we were not allowed bring our own wine, regardless.

Badkittybad, tell me more bout the venue. I loved the dog too, I thought it was a shag pile in the corner, till I saw it was breathing! The Knights looked deadly too, I can see a few of my friends trying to get into the arour in the early hours of the morning, and wacking each other with the swords. The garnes were a bit glomy looking when we were there, but it's early days. We can see it looking god for our day.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tommydoyle/Wedding#5326194962742831010

got married there dec 1st 07 floods of rain that weekend,perfect for winter wedding as there was plenty of charecter,candles galore if you are into that,and the resident bar is perfect for solving world poverty over a pint.

Our priorertys were good food and charector and I must say they were exceptional,bridel suite,rack of lamb(yum).Corkage OK and unused wine was returned.Kids loved the dog.

To be fair to the Ballygarry they always get good reports from use locals but for same price Ballyseddye is so memorable for a special day,and I am so not a romantic!

Good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Have a look at thishttp://www.sneemhotel.com

• Advertisement

sneem-man wrote: »
    Have a look at thishttp://www.sneemhotel.com

Beautiful setting man, but we're getting married just outside Tralee, and it's too far. The pictures would be lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I got married in Tralee and had the reception in the Skellig in Dingle. Great venue and the food was top class. On a good day, the view behind the top table is stunning. The hotel doesn't look outstanding from the outside (which is a pity), but everything else was perfect.

We had drinks on the way out from Tralee in the South Pole Inn in Annascaul to break the journey (about 45mins) and it definetly added to the day.

Good luck.

Might as well use this as the wedding blog thingy. I'll let you all know how I'm getting on with the prep, and feel free to tell me/remind me of things you did or thought of that may be of use to me!

Flying down to Kerry on Friday morning. Heading to Ballyseede Castle to book the date and settle on a price. Not sure if we're having a drinks reception to begin with, or snacks on arrival. If we don't do that, we'll put up food for 100 people at 12 midnight. We don't think they'll be hungry, but it's just a precaution I suppose.

Best of luck,

We had mulled wine reception and they were generous with midnight food (so I have been told anyway)

Set the date. Wohoo. Things will probably change in the next year or so. But we decided we don't want snacks on arrival or food for afters. We're having a late wedding, dinner is at 7/730, and there's no way they'd still be hungry at 12. We will do a drinks reception though, with punch on offer to all who want it. Most will probably just head to the bar though.

I think we got a bit too worked up over the whole pricing thing. The wedding's not for ages, just sit back and relax till closer to the day. Heading to Antwerp on Thursday to se about getting the rings. I proposed with a crystal ring, just in case you think she has nothing on her finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Excellent!! Thank you for choosing tralee!!:cool:

I was at a wedding in ballyseedy a few years back and it was a great place.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Set the date. Wohoo. Things will probably change in the next year or so. But we decided we don't want snacks on arrival or food for afters. We're having a late wedding, dinner is at 7/730, and there's no way they'd still be hungry at 12. We will do a drinks reception though, with punch on offer to all who want it. Most will probably just head to the bar though.

I think we got a bit too worked up over the whole pricing thing. The wedding's not for ages, just sit back and relax till closer to the day. Heading to Antwerp on Thursday to se about getting the rings. I proposed with a crystal ring, just in case you think she has nothing on her finger.

Congrats to you both I'm going to keep an eye on your progress here and if there's anything you need info etc about Tralee just holla....:D

The ring arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

If you are looking for a wedding singer hehe.... PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ballyseede castle is excellent,I was there for a wedding recently and loved it,If you get the bigger(newly updated room)It's great,Very keeping with the castle theme too,By the end of the night there were people swinging off the rafters :)

And the dogs(albert and einstein?)were great too the wolfhound is huge.Have a great wedding you chose a great place for the afters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ricky91t wrote: »
    And the dogs(albert and einstein?)

Arthur I think!

Great spot. Had family wedding there at Christmas, couldn't have gone better.

I have visions of a few of the guys putting on the suits of armour, and sword fighting.......I hope it doesn't lead to that though. Booked the dj too, haven't planned on a band yet. Big Jim said he'd play for 3.5-4 hours, and that's all ya need really. He'll do the trots, and whatever dances the oldies wanna hear before bed time!

I'm back. Updating the wedding to do list. We put it behind us till now, it can be done in six months, the longer you stress over things, the worse things can get. After a brief blip before Christmas, her dad passed away, she headed off dress shopping with her mother in Listowel. The seventh dress was the one she fell in love with. It's on hold. She's heading out on Thursday and Saturday to look at more. She wants to see if she's making the right decision in buying the one in Kerry. She probably will, but leave her at it. It's a white Lyn Ashworth, with a small jacket thing.

I told her I wanted to wear black suits, or even a tuxedo. Black looks good, and it's slimming too, for the weight I can't shift. I'm gearing towards renting from Debenhams, so my best man who's based in London can go in and get sized up, and get the suit delivered to Tralee the day before the wedding. She's thinking about black bridesmaids dressed, with pink.lilac flowers for their hands.

A side note here, I'm getting bottles of Jameson for my groomsmen, with their names printed on the labels. I was up in the Jameson distillery for my birthday in June, and thought it would be a lovely idea. The bottles are about €40 normally, but €45 with a name on it. I think it's a nice touch, will have to get one myself too.

My best man said he'd get a guy down there to video the day. He has piles of equipment for editing, and that's our gift. Class. Have to see if he's going to make contact with the guy himself, or if we have to scope him out ourselves. One of the woman's friends is going to do the informal pictures. We just have to sort someone out to do a two hour stint with the formal ones. We haven't spoken to each other about it yet, I know there's a few here interested. If you want, PM me with your website, and we'll have it to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Not sure if they do weddings but the Aghadoe heights hotel looks like a really nice place to have a wedding. Amazing views over Killarney lakes and mountains and as far as i know they have large facilities for both outdoor and indoor events i assume wedding are included in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

have you got the cake sorted out?

phormium wrote: »
    have you got the cake sorted out?

Don't think so. Pm me your website, or a prices list with a few pics and I'll pass the details onto herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

From what I've heard, Ballygarry is probably the favourite. Did you save money on anything? Seat coversfor example, we're not going to bother with them if we're asked to pay for them. How much per head were you charged for the meal? We don't want soup on our menu, and from what I've read on some of the hotel sites, one of the stipulations for hosting weddings is that they serve 4 courses of food, not including tea/coffee.

We'll see soon enough how much room we have for maneuver. We'd like to supply our own wine. But we ain't paying corkage of €10 per bottle.
    tesco have a resturant try them.ps what would you like to pay for

Included in our package at dinner so far is one glass of wine per person and two top ups. House wine is rarely bad in a hotel, so we said we'd go for what the house is offering. However on arrival to the hotel, we're considering Prosecco or Cava. M&S have good offers on Cava, and it tastes delish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We had our ceremony in Fossa and the reception in the Castlerosse. The fact that people could rent the holiday homes in the Castlerosse was a big plus and you'll not get better views than you do from the function room. I have been at 4 other weddings in the Castlerosse and all were excellent.

• Advertisement

Dress bought in Listowel. Just sent off details to paddy power for the sweep stakes wedding speech thingy. Have a Prosecco picked out for drinks on arrival, sourced from Straffan Wines. Invites are being done by Love Craft. Suits/tuxedo's for the man are being supplied by The Suit and Tux Warehouse in Dublin.

Advertisement