Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotting rat

• 19-03-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

i have a big horrible rat living underneath my shed.

I laid poison rat bait yesterday and its all gone today. Big bugger had the lot.

He is under the shed. Could hear him ..

I don't know how long it takes to die but I expect there will be a smell before long. Its one of those anticoagulant poisons.

I think its a bit of a myth that the rat will seek water . I expect him(or her:D) to die where he is now.

What product could be sprayed or placed near the scene to prevent that rotten smell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Why would you leave a rotting rat under your shed? I assume the shed is on blocks? Better off try to fish the bugger out....Length of 2X1 with couple nails on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

its not accessible.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not accessible.

Ah rats!....

Sure See how bad the smell gets and throw in some of those toilet pucks, you know the ones in pubs in the urinals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

its not accessible.

@ all.........in any way?

@ all.........in any way?

next years burning timber stack agaist one side and backed into a corner on other two sides. cant get under due to blocks at the front.

I wonder how smelly it gets before it dries up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi GSXR1

I would probably try to fish it out somehow as if it is going to smell it may attract more. However a shovel full of lime would sort out the carcas in no time. Thats presuming you can get to it. Dont forget to tuck your trousers into your socks. :eek:. I know my father inlaw had a nest under his shed a few yearsback but he got a friend of his with a jack russell to sort that out but still had to remove them because of what they attract.

Regards
    Builditwell

next years burning timber stack agaist one side and backed into a corner on other two sides. cant get under due to blocks at the front.

I see, yeah, lime is good - or maybe Jayes fluid in a backpack sprayer - and lash it in as close as possible.
    A good source of definitive info would be to ask a verminator - one of the lads who work for rentakill or the like - I'm sure they have experience of this.

Maybe that stacked timber is creating some sort of layer for rats....Can you not move it somewhere else...

mad m wrote: »
    Maybe that stacked timber is creating some sort of layer for rats....Can you not move it somewhere else...

god no. there is 3 big trees spilt into logs. half a days work moving and restacking.

Im thinking lime and water solution poked in and sprayed in the general direction.

Im fecking raging. Wife told me tonight see has been throwing bread out for the birds for the last month. Making the dirty rat bigger . twas like a lion it was.

love the garden . planted all my bulbs and veg already and re sowed my bad grass patch. Now Js fluid is going to be sprayed over everything. Killing everything. Dirty dirty creatures

I found this on the web but its for indoor use. http://www.rattraps.org.uk/Rat-Traps/Professional-Odour-Remover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Buy a rat trap and bait it with choclate or similar, trick then is to place it in a run.
    It helps if it is under cover, i've used 2ft 4" wavin before, then you may just get him where you can retrieve him!

I was living in an ancient mews a few years back and there was a big b'stard used to run the roof at night. We had no insulation so it sounded like a bleedin dog runnin up there.
    Eventually put out trap as suggested across where he ran and heard him that night, gallop gallop gallop SNAP gallop gallop....and off he went trap and all!!
    Never saw rat or trap again!
    Reckon he lived in the forest in front of us.

....dunno if that makes you feel any better:o

• Advertisement

he came out last night and took a second dose of bait. Hes fooked now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

did you leave the bait loose or was it fixed down theres a good chance if it was loose he'll bring it back to the nest and store it rather than eat it i laid poison before for rats in the turf they did dissappear after some time but when i got into the turf pile i found the full of a box of storm and no rats . i reccomend screwing it down to a piece of timber and cover it with half a pipe. just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

ponyirl wrote: »
    did you leave the bait loose or was it fixed down theres a good chance if it was loose he'll bring it back to the nest

+1

Happened to me too. I had them in a compost bin. Laid the lumps of poison (Storm) on top and each day they disappeared. Later found the poison buried deep in the compost. No dead rats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

hell die and smell but when he dries out smell will go away.

I was rooting about the garden today and found a hole behind the logs.

I am very sure it a burrow. If he dies in the hole I will be happy.

the poison is a grain type. Its in a saucer. He pulled the saucer about 1 foot and eate a 3rd dose.

From what I have read about the stuff is that it can take a week to kill.

it starves there body of vitamin K and they bleed internaly from there own small injurys. There blood stops clotting. Sounds nasty.

It kills slow so they come back for more and more.

He has eaten 400g in the last few nights. At least I hope it was the rat.

Was wondering how it was going!

Yep hole is good, lightly fill it over, if it is disturbed again the b'stard is back if not RIP rattus norvegicus.

Of course the hole could mean he is commuting only and will come to his demise in a neighbours property;)

Lad i work for has a shed, has also a couple of apple trees in garden ( large in laois), goes into shed for a rare visit and sees a large mound of rotting apples in the corner. The f**kers had only gone and used his shed as a foodstore!!!
    Now that was not pleasant!

Still whaddaya do? Buy a terrior and keep him keen?

Best of luck anyways...

it starves there body of vitamin K and they bleed internaly from there own small injurys. There blood stops clotting. Sounds nasty

I don't want to come back as a rat.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If I had a rat I would want evidence it was dead. Do as someone said and put out a trap and bait it with cooked pieces of sausage smeared with nutella. Set about 4 of them in a ring and you'll be sure to nab them

Any sign of him since????

Hes gone. thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Had similar problems when I first moved into my new house. Could hear em scrathing under the floorboards under my bed. Well spooked! Eventually got some strong ass poison and laid it in key areas. Lil fecker took from all 3 traps. The following night, no noises so assumed he was dead. Neighbour knocks on my door
    next door: "hey can I borrow a shovel?"
    me: sure, ya doing some gardening?
    next door: no. Found a dead rat in our kitchen. Herself wont go in
    me *lol to myself* oh right. I wonder how that happened :P

Lol thats how I met my neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

joeclif wrote: »
    Buy a rat trap and bait it with choclate or similar, trick then is to place it in a run.
    It helps if it is under cover, i've used 2ft 4" wavin before, then you may just get him where you can retrieve him!

I was living in an ancient mews a few years back and there was a big b'stard used to run the roof at night. We had no insulation so it sounded like a bleedin dog runnin up there.
    Eventually put out trap as suggested across where he ran and heard him that night, gallop gallop gallop SNAP gallop gallop....and off he went trap and all!!
    Never saw rat or trap again!
    Reckon he lived in the forest in front of us.

....dunno if that makes you feel any better:o

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

it starves there body of vitamin K and they bleed internaly from there own small injurys. There blood stops clotting. Sounds nasty.

(having a caring moment) For those in the know and slightly OT - is there any reason why they can't make a quick acting one? I know it's a rat and all, but is there a reason why it's drawn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

As a shot in the dark I would guess it is to allow for the poison being ingested accidentally by pets, children etc... This type of poison allows for time to counteract the damage it does I would imagine..

I would also guess its illegal to deploy poision that kills immediately....

If you want to do this sort of thing humanely and cleanly and .22 rifle and patience is the best option. Its all over very quickly....

Don't use a shotgun unless have lots of spare time to clean up afterwards....

P.

found him. scared the sh1t out of me when out fetching fire wood.

he was nested under a tarp. he had eaten most of the inside of the tarp. What nutritional value a plastic tarp has is a mystery to me. But there he was.

dead and leaked guts and icky green stuff all over a big pile of fire logs.

no way im wasting the logs. The stove will clean them. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

"All good things to he who waits!"
    At least you got him - no more smell. Feckers will eat anything even brick! :D

Advertisement