Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best DJ Software

• 19-03-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my software and get hardware to go with it. At the moment I have Virtual DJ which works fine but I only use it hooked up to a mixer and I would want to use vinyls or CDJs with it. For this would Serato or Traktor be best? From what I hear Serato is the strongest but I'm looking for the best all rounder - Compatability with most club setups, online support, ease of use...etc.

I've used Serato for a bit and find it doesn't have as many extras as VDJ (like effects and loops). Is this true or have I just not seen the best of it yet? Finally with Serato would I just need the software, soundcard and scratch vinyls or would it be best to invest in a mixer too?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Personally I would recommend Serato (disclaimer: I also own Serato!) Traktor is good and all and has much more effects, bells and whistles than Serato but I've seen it crash and have various issues on many nights which is the last thing you want.

I've only ever had Serato crash once on me in 2.5 years and that was down to my stupidity of using a corrupt mp3! It is more expensive, considerably so in comparison to Traktor, but defnitely worth it. The newest version of the software, which is free to upgrade, has a 6 channel sampler, MIDI control and the ability to scratch a live feed such as an iPod or a mic. They're constantly updating things, fixing bugs and adding more bits on but not forsaking stability. They also have a great forum/online support and numerous tutorial and troubleshooting vids.

Torq would be another option if you're dead set on effects and it's quite cheap. I tend to think effects built into the mixer will do the job fine but some people rather to have that bit more

If you have a mixer already you don't definitely have to fork out for a new one unless you really want to update it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I use Torq with an xponent and I love it. Have used Traktor as well which is a really good programme but I cant get it to work properly with my xponent. I suspect if I did I would probably prefer it to Torq to be honest. Have no experience with Serato at all.

Torq with an Xponent is a really good option if you dont have alot of money to spend. The whole thing comes bundled together and works staright out of the box. No need for a mixer, cdjs or turntables it does the whole thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I use Torq with an xponent and I love it. Have used Traktor as well which is a really good programme but I cant get it to work properly with my xponent. I suspect if I did I would probably prefer it to Torq to be honest. Have no experience with Serato at all.

Torq with an Xponent is a really good option if you dont have alot of money to spend. The whole thing comes bundled together and works staright out of the box. No need for a mixer, cdjs or turntables it does the whole thing.
    I'm exactly the same...

But I'd say Tracktor Pro is savage if you can get it working properly and learn to use it well

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Cheers for the replies.

Yeah from what I hear Serato is very reliable and at the moment I'm thinking of going for it - the only thing that's holding me back is the lack of bells and whistles but as you say the regular add-ons might sort that one out. Also is Serato workable without CDJs/ Vinyls? Just for home playing would it be decent? VDJ seems to be pretty good with this

I just checked out Torq with Exponent and while it seems perfect for home dj-ing I would be looking to use the software with a club mixer and decks so I'd probably not opt for it.

If price wasn't a factor would Serato definately be the way to go? I'm looking to invest in a long term solution so while funds aren't the healthiest I'd still be looking for a program that will do me for 5+ years.

Yep Serato is workable without decks but you'll need a MIDI controller instead as you can't auto-beatmatch tracks in it like VDJ or Traktor.

Torq would be better for home use but I would go with Serato if you're looking for a long term solution. There won't be any major changes in software after 1.9, for a while at least, but there will be in the future at some point.

Check out scratchlive.net/forum for info etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Jev/N wrote: »

Torq would be better for home use but I would go with Serato if you're looking for a long term solution

Why do you say that? Why wouldnt you use torq in a club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I also use Torq, since the 1.07 upgrade it has been solid and has never let me down. I believe the new 1.5.1 is excellent and has every feature anyone could ask for.

I use Torq in external mode with my mixer and cdj's, TT's or this 189502.jpg to control the music. I highly reccomend you buy Torq, with either a mixer and a Midi controller or a VCI-100/Xponent.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Why wouldnt you use torq in a club?

I said Torq was better for home use as you can mix tracks automatically AFAIK? Serato is a much more solid system that Torq is my experience, I've never seen anyone with issues setting it up in a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Jev/N wrote: »
    I said Torq was better for home use as you can mix tracks automatically AFAIK? Serato is a much more solid system that Torq is my experience, I've never seen anyone with issues setting it up in a club

You set it up the same way! Torq has more features than Serato and since 1.07 is as stable as any DVS. You will always face problems as more can go wrong with a DVS.

"When I Used Serato the first five or six times, i'd load a certain track when onstage and it crashed. I had to reboot my computer onstage at a festival in front of 5,000 people and there was silence for a minute - the longest minute of my life. i had to pretend it was and encore." - Dj Yoda
    -from the pages of The Scratch Dj Academy Guide

Yeh you set all of them up the same way, plugging in cables etc but I've seen many people with issues with both Torq and Traktor Scratch, I've never seen any problems with Serato and that's what pretty much everyone I know uses these days...

Yoda has been using Serato for a long time, since it was first released so it's understandable when he was first using a new technology there'd be some problems!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Traktor Pro / Scratch, and the Audio 4 thats just come out cuts the price a Lil too.

So far I've been playing with it for around 150 + hours so far without any crashes whatsoever, and finding it really configurable and comfortable to use. Keying (which I do alot) sounds a hellofalot better than Torq IMO, and the effects section is savage.

I'm Using it with Hercules RMX and Korg nanoKontrol (brill little unit BTW) as an effects module, simply because I HATE fader/knob layering on midi devices, soft-takeover just doesn't do it for me, I like to know where my knob is pointing :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Just been checking out tracktor scratch pro and I'm pretty much converted. It seems to have the reliability of Serato with the features of VDJ and Torq. Seems like a great piece of kit so unless something comes out to blow it out of the water I'm probably gonna opt with Traktor...unless anyone would care to point out its flaws? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

hi trick, i am currently selling my copy of serato so if your intrested give us a shout

Advertisement