Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level of paddy's day drunkeness

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Had a bunch of cans with friends in the sun, was drunk enough by the end but not bad enough to do anything stupid, had a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

I started work at 12 and worked through until 12.30am. Not a drop passed my lips but I served about 1 trillion drinks. Was a long long day. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What's up with "I puked at least once" being ahead of the blackout in the poll? I black out more often than not on a 6+ hour session but haven't got sick drinking since I was about 13 on the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

eirebhoy wrote: »
    What's up with "I puked at least once" being ahead of the blackout in the poll? I black out more often than not on a 6+ hour session but haven't got sick drinking since I was about 13 on the whiskey.
    Well, from the poll it looks like the opposite order is more common. I've certainly had more pukey nights than blackout nights, although they often came hand in hand :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I never really puke either!

and I didn't drink at all paddy's day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Steoob wrote: »
    Wow I'm actually shocked by the poll so far. I was expecting a lot drunker tbh. Maybe its just everyone in my extended circle of friends are just a disgrace. Although I heard the entirety of Tralee was like a jungle. Any people from Tralee here?
    Who are you calling a disgrace, if it wasnt for myself id say youd have ended up arrested like james :p. Still though the fact that i was the most sober person in the group really says it all.....well that and the fact we spent 11 hours drinking.

Our liver will forgive us, and noone got injured or anything so the way i see it, tis all good. Its ok to have an extreme bender on occasion right?

Besides, St.Patrick would be proud :).

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

got horribly drunk and got off with an absolute moonpig.....

play on playa....

ughh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Nappy wrote: »

play on playa....

ughh..

sounds like fun...

the kinda girl who's more of a man then you'll ever be..

a literal man eater.

Nappy wrote: »

play on playa....

ughh..
    Is she telling her mates the same story now? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Didn't drink at all

usually don't anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Didn't touch a drop. It was a Tuesday for jesus sake. Work on wednesday morning too. Don't understand this Paddys mentality at all. Its funny reading all comments of people on websites saying the likes of 'got sh1tfaced, but it was one of the worst paddys days ever, can't wait to get out of this stupid place'!

LOL. What the fcuk were you expecting? If I drink loads then this Tuesday will turn out to be splendid, and all my troubles will go away?? I had a nice sober chilled out day in the sun. Didn't go to any parades mind, but for the most part I enjoyed my day off. Even more so that no drink was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fizman wrote: »
    Didn't touch a drop. It was a Tuesday for jesus sake. Work on wednesday morning too. Don't understand this Paddys mentality at all. Its funny reading all comments of people on websites saying the likes of 'got sh1tfaced, but it was one of the worst paddys days ever, can't wait to get out of this stupid place'!

LOL. What the fcuk were you expecting? If I drink loads then this Tuesday will turn out to be splendid, and all my troubles will go away?? I had a nice sober chilled out day in the sun. Didn't go to any parades mind, but for the most part I enjoyed my day off. Even more so that no drink was involved.
    It's just the Irish culture and if you and pretty much everyone you know has been brought up with the same mentality to these occasions then it's pretty hard to kick it. I get very excited by the thought of a big session in the pub with my friends and some family.

One of my mates wouldn't allow himself to go in to work with the slightest hangover on Wednesday so he stayed in all day Tuesday and didn't even answer his phone to us because he knew we'd try to persuade him out.

That's just the way it is. Probably a bit sad but drink works that way for a lot of people, especially in working class areas. Even if I did want to stay sober for a day like last Tuesday I'd have to find 1 or 2 friends doing the same for me to actually have any chance of enjoying myself.

That doesn't go for anyone with a girlfriend and kids though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

to be honest i was hammered was in the holylands in belfast for most of the day, riots

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I usually drink 4 nights a weeks, but didn't on paddys day. Got destroyed on the monday which I thought most people would, then recovered on paddys.

Fizman wrote: »

I knew exactly what would happen myself. I would get ****faced, spend too much money, and feel rotten the next day. I honestly don't know why I did it. Last year I just went out on the weekend and skipped paddy's day. But you've nobody to hang out with for the day and the day after because everyone else gets wrecked.

The only option, as the poster above said, is to turn your phone off and lock all your doors. If you're young thats the only way to escape it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I didn't drink cause I forgot it was paddy's day until the special episode of simpsons came on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

How did you manage that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Well this is Kevin Myers' take on it

St Patrick's Day says it all: alcoholic riots in half a dozen cities, the police and firemen attacked north and south, knifings galore, and an epidemic of arson. This is a visible reaffirmation that the Irish are a very troubled species. We are, after all, nine times more prone to schizophrenia, than any other people, and five times more likely to be alcoholic. Is it surprising that with this genetic disposition towards mental imbalance, that we seem acutely addicted to unreason and hatred as ways of managing our lives?

I get a sense of this from the anonymous, scrawled and venomous notes which are regularly sent to me, in which the Famine and the Black and Tans were apparently features of the authors' childhoods.

These notes are not merely symptoms of a personal disorder, but evidence also of a larger social one. And St Patrick's Day also gives another glimpse of the obverse side of Irishness: that infantile appetite for self-congratulation, the endless declaration on television and radio that it's great to be Irish, and that the world loves us as a nation of poets and dreamers.

We are no more a nation of poets than we are of lumberjacks or mountaineers. William Trevor aside, no world-class writer has yet been born and educated in independent Ireland, unlike in the spectacular decades beforehand. "Free" Ireland has produced no great painters, to rival, say, Maclise or Orpen, or sculptors like Foley, or composers, like Balfe or Field, or singers like McCormack. It has produced one world-class concert musician -- John O'Conor -- and one world class rock band, U2, and that's about it. Indeed, if you take any 90-year span since the start of the 18th century, Ireland's nine decades since independence have been the most culturally barren of all.

This barrenness is accompanied by a neurotic hypersensitivity about how we are regarded. The "thick Irish" joke in Britain was clearly a response to an utterly futile and idiotic terrorist campaign, (one which, mind you, independent Ireland refused to repress). You might properly regard such humour as racist, but it is racism at its most benign, considering the violent alternatives. Yet those British jokes were regarded in Ireland as the really offensive phenomenon of the time, not the IRA bombs and bullets which had triggered them in the first place.

In this mystery-land, things that shouldn't count do count: things that do count shouldn't. Irrationality is king. We build two new stadiums in the centre of Dublin, both of which will be empty for most of the year, and we're damned lucky not to have been lumbered with a third just outside the city. We have spent years building the Red Cow interchange, when the same operation would have been finished in months in Singapore.

Ireland has destroyed itself repeatedly in the 20th century, and usually -- but not invariably -- it has done so through democratic means. The demographics tell it all. The populations of France and Germany rose by around 40pc between 1920 and 1997, despite losing millions of lives in the Second World War.

The population of independent Ireland, though spared involvement in any major conflict, rose by just half that figure (from three million to 3.6), and most of that growth had occurred in the previous decade, after years of population decline.

So, having repeatedly ruined our prospects, and exiled our youngsters, those who have remained have usually felt sorry for themselves, and have looked for someone else to blame for their woes. And I suspect that it is that engine of dysfunctionalism, the Irish family, and its demented culture of maternal passive-aggression, that has perpetuated the infantilism of Irish life.

Functional families raise their sons not to get drunk and riot. How many parents of the rioters that disgraced a dozen Irish cities on St Patrick's night would die of shame if they knew what their boys had been up to? Not many, I daresay. How many of these louts were raised to embody the traditional manly values of duty, self-restraint, personal responsibility, and care towards others? None, is the answer.

Despair about the undignified conduct of the Irish people is what prompted great reformers like Father Matthew and Arthur Griffith to begin the Pioneer and Sinn Fein movements.

I doubt very much if either man would have believed it remotely possible that the self-same problems of public drunkenness and social disorder which had so appalled them in the 19th century would still convulse so much of Ireland in the 21st century, after nearly 90 years -- that is, three full generations -- of self-government.

I have argued for years in favour of the citizen's right to choose when and where to drink: but that argument presumes the citizen is an adult, and there is little evidence that this is a term which can be applied to large numbers of Irish people over the age of 18. So, next year on St Patrick's Day, all licensed premises should be closed until 6pm, and all public consumption of alcohol rewarded with immediate and forcible confiscation.

How do I justify this? I don't have to. Teacher knows best: the only way to deal with children.

kmyers@independent.ie

Kevin Myarse at it again. He seems to have a genuine dislike for this Country. Everyone knows we and the British are a bunch of embarrassing pi**heads, disgraceful we are, tell us something we don’t already know. What the hell is on about our music culture? ‘Free Ireland’ has produced one world class rock band U2. What about Thin Lizzy, Van Morrison, Sinead O’Connor, The Cranberries, My Bloody Valentine, Westlife, Boyzone, Enya (80 million albums sold), wee Daniel, Riverdance, The Clancy Bros etc etc. Some of them might not be ‘world class’ like U2, but who the hell is? Name few a Scandinavian World class groups, Eastern European or Australian. Ireland is easily up there with any Country in the World when it comes to modern music or modern rock or whatever the hell Myarse wants to call it. We hold the record for the Eurovision song contest (it was take seriously once). God the man just thrives on controversy - calling the Scots obese and overly dependent on social welfare , unmarried mothers with their bastard children etc etc etc. He’s really one sickening f**k.

zudo wrote: »
    Kevin Myarse at it again. He seems to have a genuine dislike for this Country. Everyone knows we and the British are a bunch of embarrassing pi**heads, disgraceful we are, tell us something we don’t already know. What the hell is on about our music culture? ‘Free Ireland’ has produced one world class rock band U2. What about Thin Lizzy, Van Morrison, Sinead O’Connor, The Cranberries, My Bloody Valentine, Westlife, Boyzone, Enya (80 million albums sold), wee Daniel, Riverdance, The Clancy Bros etc etc. Some of them might not be ‘world class’ like U2, but who the hell is? Name few a Scandinavian World class groups, Eastern European or Australian. Ireland is easily up there with any Country in the World when it comes to modern music or modern rock or whatever the hell Myarse wants to call it. We hold the record for the Eurovision song contest (it was take seriously once). God the man just thrives on controversy - calling the Scots obese and overly dependent on social welfare , unmarried mothers with their bastard children etc etc etc. He’s one really sickening f**k.

Is he wrong? Maybe about the recording artists, but for the rest he's spot on(besides the need to close pubs until 6, why make people pull a 'Good Friday' and end up twice as locked).

Your problem is that you're in love with a rock. In a sea. And thats about as pointless as being in love with a rock in a field.

I've heard stories since paddy's day of people being dragged out of cars in finglas and having them stolen, to people being stabbed because of ex-girlfriends who got drunk out of their heads and wanted revenge. Can't say how true these stories are but they don't seem overly out of place..

It's a shambles of a day, in which nobody has a good time really - if you think they do then head to a pub around 7 o' clock next year sober, and see how much fun everyone is really having. And it symbolizes Ireland 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Is he wrong? Maybe about the recording artists, but for the rest he's spot on(besides the need to close pubs until 6, why make people pull a 'Good Friday' and end up twice as locked).

Your problem is that you're in love with a rock. In a sea. And thats about as pointless as being in love with a rock in a field.

I've heard stories since paddy's day of people being dragged out of cars in finglas and having them stolen, to people being stabbed because of ex-girlfriends who got drunk out of their heads and wanted revenge. Can't say how true these stories are but they don't seem overly out of place..

It's a shambles of a day, in which nobody has a good time really - if you think they do then head to a pub around 7 o' clock next year sober, and see how much fun everyone is really having. And it symbolizes Ireland 100%.

I completely agree that Paddy's day is a disaster, as is our drinking culture. But he also stated "The thick Irish joke in Britain was clearly a response to an utterly futile and idiotic terrorist campaign", but the stage Irishman has been an English staple for centuries, even found in Shakespeare in the figure of MacMorris. The man talks nothing but tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Steoob wrote: »
    After hearing many peoples stories of Paddy's Day, I was shocked to hear how many people got absolutley skull ****ed. Pretty much every single one of them blacked out at some point or didn't remember how they got home. I'm obviously aware of the fact that Paddys Day is just a day for drinking, but it really seemed like this year was beyond a joke. I myself remembered nothing past 5 o clock and ended up at home by 11 with no idea where I was. Another friend of mine got arrested for just being so drunk. I'm interested to see how other people around the country faired on Tuesday.

Hic! wos yu taLking aBout st ‘paDdy likE tHat fOr, YoU Igno......YoU.. IgNoR..............yOu iGnoRamus ......YoO.......Hic!.
    YOu BlEeDIng teeeeeeeeeeeA tOtler YOuuuuu
    HIC!...............Tryyy aN BE a BIt PatricKotic! hIC!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

paddys day is a disaster,a few years back me and the gf were walking through cork city to get a bus and the place was destroyed,im never leaving the house on a paddys day again,everyone gets their white tracksuit from the wardrobe and uses paddys day as an excuse to run amok,
    thankfully i was on the early shift in work,i dont think i missed much
    today (21st march) is a better day to be proud to be irish:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Seven drinks-alot for me. I remembered everything and did'nt get sick.I can't see the point in people getting drunk into oblivion.Hell,your're gonna miss the night then and have a suck ass hangover the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

zudo wrote: »
    I completely agree that Paddy's day is a disaster, as is our drinking culture. But he also stated "The thick Irish joke in Britain was clearly a response to an utterly futile and idiotic terrorist campaign", but the stage Irishman has been an English staple for centuries, even found in Shakespeare in the figure of MacMorris. The man talks nothing but tripe.

In Myersville, nasty reality isn't allowed impede the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

I drank a naggin of Smirnoff, 7 bottles of Corona and a wine glass of Absente (sp?)..Woke up to find I was sharing a bed (not mine might I add) with a half cooked/eaten pizza. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

rubadub wrote: »
    I usually drink 4 nights a weeks, but didn't on paddys day. Got destroyed on the monday which I thought most people would, then recovered on paddys.

How can (s?)he be the mod of nutrition & diet??

enda1 wrote: »
    HGow can (s?)he be the mod of nutrition & diet??
    I suppose s/he knows what NOT to do :D

Advertisement