Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Emergency

• 19-03-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I'm in a situation where i have carried out some rather important interviews. they were recorded on a dictaphone and the only output is a headphone jack.

i urgently need to get these into digital form. i've just got a new laptop so as i see it my options are:

1. play interviews though peaker and record these through laptop built in microphone (not ideal i suspect)

2. use a double ended jack and connect headphone output in dictaphone to micophone input jack on laptop.

questions:

1. is th second idea the best way to go or is there an alternative?
    2. what program on a brand new fairy high spec sony running on vista could i use to record this?

i'd seriously appreciate any imput towards a solution

cheers guys

sc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'd go with option 2.

You could use Audacity to capture the audio ... it's open source, freeware and well regarded -> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I'm guessing you are running some version of Windows. Hope this helps.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salec

thanks. and yes, running on windows vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

salec wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm in a situation where i have carried out some rather important interviews. they were recorded on a dictaphone and the only output is a headphone jack.

i urgently need to get these into digital form. i've just got a new laptop so as i see it my options are:

1. play interviews though peaker and record these through laptop built in microphone (not ideal i suspect)

2. use a double ended jack and connect headphone output in dictaphone to micophone input jack on laptop.

questions:

1. is th second idea the best way to go or is there an alternative?
    2. what program on a brand new fairy high spec sony running on vista could i use to record this?

i'd seriously appreciate any imput towards a solution

cheers guys

sc

I've used a programme called Total Recorder for similar type of work with audio recordings http://www.totalrecorder.com/ It's not free unfortunately ($17.95, not a lot in euros) but I found it easy to use and it also worked for changing the formats of certain online broadcasts I needed so that I could record them on a CD. I used a free trial of it first to make sure it worked for what I wanted.
    I haven't used Audacity - maybe I spent my money needlessly :o

Advertisement