Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american psycho

Options
  • 19-03-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

sorry if there's already a thread posted on this.

Just finished reading it today and I wanna know what everyone else thought about it? Do you think he actually did it?

I thought it was brilliant, but I think the violance was a bit too much for my tastes. I had to stop myself for retching on the bus!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i actually found it a very difficult book to read.
    very confusing at times, to the degree that i was rereading chunks of it over and over.
    I did laugh out loud to his reaction of the nazi with poodles on the talk show he watched everyday haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 comrade.salad

Yeah it's done a weird style. I think it's meant to reflect his internal confusion and dillusions. I agree though, it's hard work at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Saw the movie first and I misunderstood the ending entirely so it was a nice twist when it shouldn't have been. I enjoyed it but the graphic sex mixed with ultra-violence was extremely messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

endless descriptions about clothes: zzzzzzzzzzzz
    endless descriptions about crap 80's music: zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    endless descriptions about killing people in gruesome ways: zzzzzzzzzzz

overall verdict: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

endless good reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I thought overall it was very good. The endless descriptions about clothes and boring things made it what it is, in a way. It was all very obsessive and psychotic.

I read this when I was 13 or 14...so the gruesome bits were rather disturbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

sorry if there's already 1000000 threads posted on this.

I haven't read this in a few years must give it another go soon. I thought it was fantastic. I did skip the entire chapters where he went on about the crap bands though mainly because I've never heard of them.

It always disappointed me that he tried to atone for this book in Lunar Park, blaming his father and stuff. Serious cop out imo.

Advertisement