Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile 'cancellation uncancellation' scam

Options
  • 19-03-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

After being stuck for a year with a contract with 3 mobile broadband, I finally rang them in December to say that I would not be renewing the contract for another year. This was so difficult to do over a series of calls that I not only ended up having to write to them, but also to my bank to cancel the direct debit and not to accept any more from them. Then in January some nice bloke from Mumbai rang to say that as they knew that I had no intention of coming back to them that they wanted to give me two months free access to 'test their new networks' for them. I made sure to have him confirm that this was not a new contract, that it would cost me nothing and that it would never cost me anything before agreeing to accept the offer, with no intention of using it.

I hadn't used their service since April last year, and had no intention or need of it this year and their dongle lay with the rest of the old cables and cards, so it was with a shock that I received a bill from them today! I rang and when I said that I had been told that I wouldn't be entering into a new contract they said that this was true, they had 'cancelled my cancellation' and it wasn't a new contract, it was still the old one!

Now to me this seems like the worst and lowest sort of sharp practice scam that I have ever been on the bad end of and certainly not the sort of business practice I would expect in this day and age, so I'm wondering has anyone else had problems like this from 3 mobile? Anyone got any ideas on the best place to take this to, I'm absolutely livid and want to not only clear this up but also to make sure these people pay for this kind of deceit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

There customer service is deplorable. Here is a link to their media contacts, call the three of them and tell them you are going onto Joe Duffy unless you get some satisfaction.

http://www.three.ie/company/press-releases/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sophisto wrote: »
    After being stuck for a year with a contract with 3 mobile broadband, I finally rang them in December to say that I would not be renewing the contract for another year. This was so difficult to do over a series of calls that I not only ended up having to write to them, but also to my bank to cancel the direct debit and not to accept any more from them. Then in January some nice bloke from Mumbai rang to say that as they knew that I had no intention of coming back to them that they wanted to give me two months free access to 'test their new networks' for them. I made sure to have him confirm that this was not a new contract, that it would cost me nothing and that it would never cost me anything before agreeing to accept the offer, with no intention of using it.

I hadn't used their service since April last year, and had no intention or need of it this year and their dongle lay with the rest of the old cables and cards, so it was with a shock that I received a bill from them today! I rang and when I said that I had been told that I wouldn't be entering into a new contract they said that this was true, they had 'cancelled my cancellation' and it wasn't a new contract, it was still the old one!

Now to me this seems like the worst and lowest sort of sharp practice scam that I have ever been on the bad end of and certainly not the sort of business practice I would expect in this day and age, so I'm wondering has anyone else had problems like this from 3 mobile? Anyone got any ideas on the best place to take this to, I'm absolutely livid and want to not only clear this up but also to make sure these people pay for this kind of deceit.
    scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

As long as you have cancelled your contract with them then you don't owe them anything. IIRC To complete a new contract you have to sign for.

Make sure you take logs of the people you talked to, the times they have rang, the transactions with the bank etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The lads in Mumbai will gladly reinstate a Direct Debit for another year , they have full acccess to Direct Debit Plus in Mumbai you know :(

http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?Itemid=172&id=35&option=com_content&task=view
    For some Originators who are members of the DD Plus Scheme the default notice period is 7 days.

Once you answer the phone to Mumbai they believe you gave them notice .

The 'system' lets them do the rest. Complain to IPSO .

http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=186

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Get your originator number and contact your bank with it. Tell them to cancel it and three.ie can try whatever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Demand to hear the recording of the phone call where they claim you cancelled the cancellation.

Tell them you'll gladly pay once your hear it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 goldeneyes

em, i'm going through the exact same process with them at the moment. Your story is identical to mine except that i didn't discuss the whole new contract old contract thing with them. I asked him to confirm three times on the phone that accepting the 2 months free credit would not affect my request for a cancellation and he told me i would never get a bill from them again.... "it's a favour, you have been such a good customer" is what i got.

I cancelled the direct debit and got a phone call about ten days ago asking me what happened to my direct debit and i told her my contract was cancelled. She actually agreed with me and said that this was the last bill on my account, i told her i had made 12 payments so it couldnt be, she got confused and told me she needed to check my account and get back to me. She never did.

Last night i get another bill, this time for an extra 25 quid (i apparently i pay more now because i'm no longer a direct debit customer). I rang up last night and absolutely tore strips out of one of them in the cancellation department when he tried to tell me that i had reversed my cancellation and in order to cancel again i had to serve another 30 days notice, that tipped me over the edge and the rest got a bit blurry (but i never cursed, thankfully). His manager is ringing me back this morning.... although im not so sure he will.

Can they really uncancel the direct debit? because that's ridiculous, especially if they are running a scam like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

You could compare them to ryanair :D They are cheap but their service aint the best. What they said made sense though in all fairness. You werent entering into a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

goldeneyes wrote: »
    Can they really uncancel the direct debit? because that's ridiculous, especially if they are running a scam like this.

Yes, it's called Direct Debit Plus, and lets "trusted" companies set up direct debits on your account, without your express permission. Of course, trusted just means big, and big often means not trustworthy.

At the end of your 12 month contract with Three, you don't enter into another 12 month contract, you're effectively on a 1 month rolling contract, as all you need to give is 1 month's notice. If you did cancel, and gave the required notice, then have nothing more to do with them. Write to your bank and expressly tell them not to accept any direct debit from Three Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

goldeneyes wrote: »
    em, i'm going through the exact same process with them at the moment. Your story is identical to mine except that i didn't discuss the whole new contract old contract thing with them. I asked him to confirm three times on the phone that accepting the 2 months free credit would not affect my request for a cancellation and he told me i would never get a bill from them again.... "it's a favour, you have been such a good customer" is what i got.
    Right here you should have had red alarm bells ringing in your head, no company that size will do you a favour AFTER you have left them.
    As already been noted, they are a premium direct debit user so they can set you up for a new DD with out your written consent. Now this SHOULD lead to a fine if done with out your permission but that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Just contact your bank & tell them to refuse all Direct Debits from Three. Then just forget about it, and bin the bills... if they ever call you, tell them you have no idea what they're talking about, and to f*ck off harassing you.
    If they want you to pay anything, ask them for proof that you have a contract & actually owe them anything: either voice or signature. They obviously can't provide this.
    Simple. Don't let them bully you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 goldeneyes

okay, so in case anybody experiences this problem again, (and they will) here is how my story with three ended... or so i would hope.

after not getting so much as a voicemail today from the manager i rang again this evening and got through to the same bloke as last night, i was extremely rude again and told him i was beyond speaking to a manager, and i wanted him to once and for all cancel the account right now. he again started his speech about it being another 30 days before cancellation would take effect and i said that it was fine, i appreciate that they are his terms but not mine. i told him that if they attempted to charge me the "outstanding" fee that i would report them to comreg immediately and would take them to the small claims court to get my money back. i was put on hold for about 5 minutes and then his attitude had completely changed when he got back to the phone. my account has been cancelled, effective immediately, and my fee has been reversed. i'm emailing customer services to get my written confirmation and the next bill i get will say 0.00 on it, and it will be my last.

apparently he had spoken to a supervisor and the supervisor gave him the authority to close the account, Bullsh!t. He heard those 2 magical phrases and ran for the hills. All it takes is the threat (i would have carried it out though).

and Nody, i honestly had no alarm bells saying that they were underhandedly trying to reinstate my contract, i simplified the conversation to stick to the point and save you all from having to read an essay. he said it was an offer given to all outgoing customers and that it in no way affected my request for cancellation, this call was also made DURING my cancellation period, not after. it only seemed like an enticement to stick with them (after boosting your signal for the final month of course, the same practice they use for your 14 day return period at the start of the contract). When somebody from a well known and seemingly reputable company tells you something for a fact and repeats it three times, you should be expected to believe him in this day and age.

Sophisto, i hope you can resolve this without having to pay for the extra months of (non) usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

three in india are more like a marketing/telesales company than a customer care set up as they are always trying to sell and get your credit card details.

Advertisement