Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get landline installed?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving house this weekend. I'm currently 5 months into a 12 month contract with vodafone landline and bb and obviously want to bring it with me but the house I'm moving to doesn't have a landline.

Are eircom the only providers that install phonelines and if not can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mods feel free to move

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom install all lines. Others can accept your order, but I'd advise against it, as eircom tend to not be in too much of a hurry to install a line for a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Is it a new house/old house/apartment?

Difficult to get a new line installed in an apartment, contact the management company. An old house may have a line already installed but inactive, Eircom can re-activate. A new house may not have any line installed because a competitor has a exclusive agreement in the estate.

As jor el says, Eircom is your best bet. You will need to pay the install fee + 1 months rental, no contract so you can cancel as soon as you have a dial tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The house I'm moving to is around 8 years old. I'll have to check out the specifics tomorrow but thanks for the help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Grand stuff. A quick call to Eircom should confirm if there was service at your address previously, that will simplify things. When I moved house, there was a wire pushed in behind a skirting board. I was able to pull it out, put a box on it and off I went.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

1. Call Eircom on 1901. This is a voice activated service, so listen and respond carefully and follow the prompts to get to sales.
    2. Tell them your old home phone number (if you do not have one just tell them your address) and ask them how much the activation will cost.
    3. Get the Eircom account number so you have the freedom to choose your provider.
    4. If at all possible try to check the line itself (Once Eircom tell you the line is active just plug an old phone into the phone port and ring your own mobile, if this works there will be no problems switching over to another service provider).

• Advertisement
Advertisement