Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU vote?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hey people, when up in college last week, I noticed signs for a SIPTU vote. I'm assuming this was in regard to the potential strike by SIPTU members there. The vote was on the 13th, so does anyone know the result, or is it the same thing as teachers going on strike on the 30th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Afaik it was to vote on industrial action in support of the national day of action planned for the 30th... Don't know the result although I'm assuming it passed...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah cool, thought as much. Take it the student protest will be that day too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just got a mail from the SU, calling everyone out on the 30th. No mention of SIPTU in there.

It says "do not go to class". OK, I won't go to "class", but I will go to all my lectures, unless the lecturers walk out too. You left school before starting at UCD, right? :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    Just got a mail from the SU, calling everyone out on the 30th. No mention of SIPTU in there.

It says "do not go to class". OK, I won't go to "class", but I will go to all my lectures, unless the lecturers walk out too. You left school before starting at UCD, right? :rolleyes:

Yeah, wasn't this SU strike gonna be on same day as lectureres strike? Also, is the 30th all public servants ie. incl. bus drivers? Or is just education sector? This is putting quite a spanner in the works, but hey, will stay at home and do work if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I saw the signs for the SIPTU vote up but i didnt see 1 person go in all day :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'm going to lectures, 4 weeks to go and I can't really afford to miss anything!

Jev/N wrote: »
    I'm going to lectures, 4 weeks to go and I can't really afford to miss anything!

Thing is there may not be any lectureres there. Even at that, don't think the library will be open, if they are going on industrial action too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

UCD SIPTU education branch voted to go on strike. As a result there will be no lectures on the 30th, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, I'm finished lectures for the year anyway. I don't care. More time to work on my project from my comfy chair at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

so the SU have cleverly decided to hold this one day strike on a monday....giving us all a *3 day* weekend

anyone going home that weekend will not be heading back to UCD to take part in any such rally.

when students go on strike are they still expected to turn up on some sort of picket-line???

how will our lack of support at the rally (yes i am merely forecasting a poor turn-out but i doubt anyone will disagree with me) show our devotion to the free-fees campaign as opposed to being lazy good-for-nothings leeching off of the state???

(in the interest of full disclosure i did indeed vote in this referendum and voted NO, the above reason being one of the factors for my decision)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

so the SU have cleverly decided to hold this one day strike on a monday....giving us all a *3 day* weekend

*sigh* The referendum wasn't run by the sabbats/exec of the SU. It was called by ordinary students who collected signatures to run it, then a huge majority voted in favour. The referendum directed that the student strike be aligned with a national strike day, which is on March 30th.

Don't really think the media are going to be bothered by us not going to lectures, on a day when there are no lectures on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

dajaffa wrote: »
    Don't really think the media are going to be bothered by us not going to lectures, on a day when there are no lectures on...

there are no lectures to go to but there will be a rally to go to.

I think people are getting SIPTU and UCDSU horribly confused. This thread is about the staff going on strike on that day which as a previous poster has stated, was voted in by SIPTU members. Nothing at all to do with the UCDSU campaign . Just to clear that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

anyone going home that weekend will not be heading back to UCD to take part in any such rally.
    I will.

Ill be there aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Just out of curiosity, would all of the lecturers be in SIPTU, don't they not have IFUT? And if they're not in SIPTU then they're hardly striking for a union they're not in, unless IFUT voted on action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

El Siglo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, would all of the lecturers be in SIPTU, don't they not have IFUT? And if they're not in SIPTU then they're hardly striking for a union they're not in, unless IFUT voted on action?

Likelihood is those who aren't in SIPTU won't pass the picket lines be they in another union or none.

Also anyone know if the likes of services etc will be striking: ie will there be buildings to go into if there are any lectures on?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

If SIPTU go on strike, it's likely some buildings would be closed or at least have only a skeleton staff of non-union people I think... non academic staff like services would be SIPTU members over IFUT. Kieran Allen is a lecturer and he's head of SIPTU in UCD so maybe there's dual membership?

UCD is quite hard to effectively picket because it has so many entrances, I think past protests just carried out a symbolic picket at the main gate. Be interesting to see how things pan out on the 30th... Those not in any union I think will pass the picket - union members get subbed, it costs a days pay otherwise. Non SIPTU and IFUT union members will stay away though I reckon.

Advertisement