Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon's Den - March 19th 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Curious as to how that fax cop works since he wouldnt give anything away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Loved the button jewellery, bit expensive but great concept. Glad she got a few bob.
    Leprechaun Hair- Hilarious, should just keep selling it on e-bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

oh man, greenme.ie error 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable..
    If they still have a website they will be pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Axwell wrote: »
    Curious as to how that fax cop works since he wouldn't give anything away

Yes. I think his refusal to give anything away hurt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Decent enough show last night for the most part I thought...

Liked the Buttons girl. Came across as a nice, honest girl (albeit VERY nervous! :)), but Sarah really pissed me off .. she's sat there for weeks now declaring herself "out" of every pitch and/or pushing the person to go with another Dragon.
    Tonight she FINALLY makes an offer but ONLY if she can take over the business and effectively make the girl an employee??!
    Fair play to Gavin for jumping in with his counteroffer - how Sarah reacted to this (think "I'm taking my ball and going home!") really annoyed me, but at least Niall made her a reasonable deal in the end.

I agreed with what they had to say about the Leprechaun hair guy. He didn't even bother to dress appropriately, so why would anyone take him seriously? Plus, like the guy in the yellow suit a few weeks back, I'm not big on "paddywackery" either!

The fella with the FaxCop did hurt himself by refusing to explain exactly how it worked, although I CAN see where he was coming from. He's pitching to people, many of who have interests in the telecoms industry, and could probably knock out a competing product fairly quickly so of course he wants to protect his idea, and I can see (even in our own offices) how many junk faxes are still sent so there's a potential market, but I wasn't impressed with how he came across overall anyway.

The 2 girls with the website.. thought they might get somewhere at the start, but I guess our Dragons aren't very green!! :)

Gavin best overall again tonight, even if he was a bit rough on one or two of em! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

jaysus how many hits would have greenme.ie got last night if it was working.
    Anyway...€5K for a gold listing WTF and 11 people paid for that. How, Why targerted or not €5k??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If fax cop was patented he could have told them how it works. I am duvious as he did let slip it is nothing to do with the number of the fax machine sending the fax. My guess is that the fax cop accepts the fax and then compares it to spam fax templates and then either allows the fax to be printed or it rejects the fax.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If fax cop was patented he could have told them how it works.

I think he said it was at the initial stages of paperwork so the patent probably wasnt gone through
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    I am duvious as he did let slip it is nothing to do with the number of the fax machine sending the fax. My guess is that the fax cop accepts the fax and then compares it to spam fax templates and then either allows the fax to be printed or it rejects the fax.

This was one of the two methods suggested by Gavin Duffy and the guy didnt give a reaction to it so I dont think this is how it works.

Personally i feel he did himself no favours at all throughout the whole thing and by having this little stand off with them not explaining how it worked he was never going to get money. He could have easily gave them the basic principle even to suggest how it may work just to assure them somewhat. Instead he had a box with lights on it that he maintained did something.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Fair play to Gavin for jumping in with his counteroffer - how Sarah reacted to this (think "I'm taking my ball and going home!") really annoyed me, but at least Niall made her a reasonable deal in the end.

I agree entirely, only agrees to take over the company. Greedy biatch. The idea is to help the people not to help yourself to their ideas. I think when Cromwell came over from merry old England, he did more for the Irish entrepreneur.
    This was one of the two methods suggested by Gavin Duffy and the guy didnt give a reaction to it so I dont think this is how it works.

I think he said he had put the patent through in 2006, but didnt say whether it had been approved. The system may work similarly to the way DNS blacklisting works for computers. I would think that there is a central database of numbers that are considered spam numbers, and faxes from those numbers are rejected (similar to the way certain IP addresses are restricted from sending mails if they are blacklisted)

I dont think Gavin's suggestion of it being the formatting of the mail, as this would not be near 100% accurate. And I dont think it would be the second method where he suggested that there was something different about the fax signal that is generated by an automatic dialling system (otherwise the spammers would just find something to counter this).

He said it had nothing to do with phone numbers.

This is what stumped me because I was going on the same idea as you when watching it on tv then he said it hadnt anything to do with phone numbers.

• Advertisement

He said it had nothing to do with phone numbers.

This is what stumped me because I was going on the same idea as you when watching it on tv then he said it hadnt anything to do with phone numbers.

hmmmm. I think he may have been covering. That's the only way I can think, but I could be wrong. I've been wrong (once) before ;-).

I think that the dragon's were a bit unfair with him. I mean he was hardly about to give away the farm on national TV, before an investment was given. And he did say that he would allow prospective investors to view the detail of the thing before investing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He should have secured the patent before going on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Thought it was a good show. I didn't like how Gavin jumped down the two girls throats. He didn't even let one of them finish answering his first question before he jumped on another. Completely rude. There was no need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Thought it was a good show. I didn't like how Gavin jumped down the two girls throats. He didn't even let one of them finish answering his first question before he jumped on another. Completely rude. There was no need for that.

Yeah i thought that as well.
    They took a real disliking to them which IMO was undeserved.
    I felt they didn't really give them a chance.

With a couple of the others, the dragon on the left (the bald guy) on two occasions made a bid but nothing came of it.
    For all his tough talk, he struck me as a bit uncertain in what he wanted tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what with yerman attacking those marketing people over greenies wanting to reduce the number of cows in ireland which is either a myth or long way off and not without a battle,and not their problem.

sarah being uesless, so many times there saying it not my area, i think the uk guys had more manufacturing and wider interests

those buttons were hugly expensive

Advertisement