Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Cup Q/F Draw

• 19-03-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

We're in it! :D

The 8 left are -

Manchester City
    PSG
    Dynamo Kiev
    Hamburg
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Udinese
    Marseille
    Werder Bremen

Don't want to go to Eastern Europe, or Bremen.

Any of the rest would be ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mayordenis wrote: »
    tomorrow?

yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

11am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kind of odd it's at the same time as the Champions League Draw.
    You think it'd be after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

How does it work? Are both the Champions League and UEFA Cup draws on tomorrow morning? City would be pleased with being paired with PSG. Udinese are a good side and would be a difficult draw. My team (Arsenal) will be looking to avoid Barcelona. Last year it was Liverpool.

After scraping through tonight I would love to see Man City win the competition as next year it becomes the UEFA Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hamburg would be tough, imo

But well done City and good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jesus, lookin the 8 left I wouldnt call City favourites. Certainly not clear ones.

EDIT: The two frogs are tied 2nd in France only a single point behind Lyon. Bremen and Udinese are not lighting their leagues on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Looking at the eight left, i wouldn't even call it a decent European competition. I mean, this is the quarter finals and that is the line-up.
    Really really hope City win it, they deserve a bit of success after all these years. I don't think they will, but here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

According to the Beeb, the draw isn't until 12. CL draw is at 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

8 capable teams, but no clear favourite.

You have ManCity, the 2nd and 3rd of the French League, the 4th of the German League, the two top ukrainian side, Udinese and an international very experienced Bremen team that slowly gets on fire.

If I was ManCity I would want to avoid Hamburg. They have a good season. Are fourth in the german league, equal on points with second and third, and only 4 points behind first. They are also in the german cup semi finals (against Bremen). But worringly they are usually strong at home (in the League 9 wins, 1 draw and only 1 defeat at home) and very also capable of getting a result away. So far this season they have won all 5 away Uefa Cup games. That and ManCitys bad away form might really make that a really hard task.

I think most teams would want to avoid the Ukrainian teams. PSG and Udinese are probably the weakest teams of the 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Either of the French teams or Udinese would be a good draw IMO.

Pity Villa aren't in it :(

Anyway good lucky City!

Now that the Mickey Mouse stuff is out of the way the real draw can kick off in about a half hour.

Gettin excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

City will hammered by any of the other 7 unless a few players get thier fingers out thier arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

There is no easy draw there.... Couldn't really pick who City could most likely beat..

Any way you look at it there will be some tasty ties there!

Just at to watching the City highlights from last night on Eurosport and cant help but feel they have no hope of winning this tournament. Absolutely no away form at all.

redout wrote: »
    Just at to watching the City highlights from last night on Eurosport and cant help but feel they have no hope of winning this tournament. Absolutely no away form at all.

Except when we beat Schalke and scored 2 away goals in Copenhagen....

Starting now lads.

We NEED to be at home for the 2nd leg of both the quarters and semis to have a good chance.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Except when we beat Schalke and scored 2 away goals in Copenhagen....

Schalke and Copenhagen.

Massive achievement that.

They gonna need to up their game.

Schalke and Copenhagen.

Massive achievement that.

They gonna need to up their game.

Well Schalke did get to the quarters of the Champions League last season....

• Advertisement

Hamburg v City

Tough tie

PSG v Kiev

Donetsk v Marseille

Bremen v Udinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

oh joy hamburg, kompany should be happy. at least were away first.

Hamburg and we're away first. That's ok.

Hamburg v City

to play

Bremen v Udinese

I dont see City making the final

Away first in the semis too! Brilliant!

lucked out i think with two home second legs

whats the point of the home/away thing for the final

bigstar wrote: »
    whats the point of the home/away thing for the final

Who wears the home kit and all that.

• Advertisement

It's about who gets to wear their home jersey (in case same colour) and who gets to use the home team cabin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Hamburg v City

to play

Bremen v Udinese

I dont see City making the final

i think they have a chance. being home in second leg is huge, especially for Citeh.

DubDani wrote: »
    It's about who gets to wear their home jersey (in case same colour) and who gets to use the home team cabin.

The stadium in Istanbul -

prod_portacabin_1.jpg

:pac:

Hamburg and ManCity already played a pre-season friendly in Hamburg. At that time City lost 1:0 iirc. Should be a great tie, with a great atmosphere in both stadiums. Hamburg's Stadium will def. be sold out for the game.

I think it will be a very tight tie. Probably not much between the two teams. Hamburg might have a slight edge as they are usually good at home and always capable of winning away in europe. City will have to improve massively away.

not sure what to make of this comp tbh, weve not played particularly well and yet weve made it to the QF, were in it since the first round, and weve avoided an away second leg. not impossible.

hamburg are the only team to win away in the last round, but were very decent at home. after last night i give up on trying to understand how well play, just no more penos please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

from bbc :D:D would be some sight alright...

1218: "I predict a United-City European Super Cup final."

jaykay74 wrote: »
    from bbc :D:D would be some sight alright...

1218: "I predict a United-City European Super Cup final."

never thought of that, would be a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

City won't be getting past Hamburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkey9 wrote: »
    City won't be getting past Hamburg

On what basis do you make such a confident prediction? I have only seen highlights of HSV games, know Jol is the manager and know some of their players. But that isn't enough to break down how the two squads will match up over a two legged tie now is it?

City will want this. The likes of Robinho, Ireland, Wright - Phillips, Given and Kompany would surely start for HSV - so I'm unsure as to how anyone could reach such a declarative position on the game at this early stage. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    On what basis do you make such a confident prediction? I have only seen highlights of HSV games, know Jol is the manager and know some of their players. But that isn't enough to break down how the two squads will match up over a two legged tie now is it?

City will want this. The likes of Robinho, Ireland, Wright - Phillips, Given and Kompany would surely start for HSV - so I'm unsure as to how anyone could reach such a declarative position on the game at this early stage. :confused:

Hamburg are having a good season in the bundesliga. 4th at the moment, but level on points with Bayern who are in 2nd and only 4 points of Hertha Berlin who are on top... Any time I have seen them this season they have been a very good side.

I think this tie will go down to the wire. City seem to be able to pull it off in Europe, but their domestic form, especially away from home this season has been poor compared to what talent they have in the squad.

I think this really depends on how well City do at Eastlands. If HSV leave there with any type of lead, I don't see City going through. I hope they do progress though. Would be nice to see the Irish trio win some silverware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement