Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website

Options
  • 20-03-2009 12:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi folks,
    I'm in the process of setting up a new company. I want to set up a decent but simple website (info on the company, service's povided and contact details with a few pictures - nothing amazing but just something professional) and I'm wondering what is the best/most cost effective way of doing this.
    The options I have currently are:
    1. Design myself on Studio 4.0 (which I think I can do successfully enough in the 30 days I have with my free trial)
    2. Pay somebody to design it.

My question is: Am I getting value for money having somebody design it?

Also:
    Whats the best/cheapest way to get it uploaded to the net

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

Hi folks,
    I'm in the process of setting up a new company. I want to set up a decent but simple website (info on the company, service's povided and contact details with a few pictures - nothing amazing but just something professional) and I'm wondering what is the best/most cost effective way of doing this.
    The options I have currently are:
    1. Design myself on Studio 4.0 (which I think I can do successfully enough in the 30 days I have with my free trial)
    2. Pay somebody to design it.

Also:
    Whats the best/cheapest way to get it uploaded to the net

Thanks in advance!

You need 3 things:

1: Domain Name ie(boards.ie)
    You but this from someone. Don't get 3rd party to buy it.
    xxxxx.com use to buy it godaddy.com (cheapest ?)
    xxxxx.ie use to buy it letshost.ie (cheapest ?)

2: Website
    2:1 Quick, simple, cheap, professional lookink
    Go to http://www.templatemonster.com/
    Pick out a template for your site, 100s of them about $100

2:2 Write the content for each page

2:3 Go to adverts.ie ask someone to customise the template to how you want it with your text. cost approx €100

3: Hosting Account
    Go to blacknight get http://www.blacknight.com/minimus-hosting.html
    get the person from 2:3 to upload it and set-up your email €50

This is just a quick way to get you started for < €250

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 theopticalshop

that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...thanks for that!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you want a professional looking site then is it not worth paying them for the professional job they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oli26

using templates is a solution but means that another 500, 800, 2000.... exact copies of your site is on the internet. Doing it yourself is unlikely to give you a professional looking site, after all, web designer / developer is a profession. Many people build their own sites only to realise shortly after that they are missing vital elements in regards to search engines for instance, not to mention that your visitors will judge your company based on what they see on your site.
    A good site will return your investment very quickly.

Please contact us, <snip>, you may be surprise to see that a good site, original and representing your company may not cost as much as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

patftrears wrote: »
    You need 3 things:

1: Domain Name ie(boards.ie)
    You but this from someone. Don't get 3rd party to buy it.
    xxxxx.com use to buy it godaddy.com (cheapest ?)
    xxxxx.ie use to buy it letshost.ie (cheapest ?)

I last used host.ie , not the cheapest but they offer 24hr tech support and you'll need it at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

You also need to decide if you want a CMS (content managed site) whereby you can easily add/edit pages , images etc. In the end of the day you pay for what you get-and I don't see any real web designer of note building you a great site for €250...

Advertisement