Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short one act comedy

• 20-03-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Am new to boards. I'm looking for a short one act play (light comedy) with a cast of 3 - 6 and a good male / female balance.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Deamonn

No, but i'm sure I could write for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimmydean

Deamonn wrote: »
    No, but i'm sure I could write for you!

Deamonn,

Interesting. Have you written many plays? Have they been performed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

jimmydean wrote: »
    Hi,

Am new to boards. I'm looking for a short one act play (light comedy) with a cast of 3 - 6 and a good male / female balance.

Any suggestions?

Where to start. I’ve done quite a few over the years.
    When it comes to one acts, American authors tend to dominate but some of the plays can be adapted to other settings.
    David Ives has written some hilarious short plays in particular “Babels in arms”(3M 2F) and “Time Flies” (2M 1F). Most of his stuff is very inventive and a bit off the wall.
    Christopher Durang has some good stuff like “The Actors Nighmare” (2M 3F) and “Wandas Visit” (2m 2F)
    Peter Tolan – “Pillow Talk” (2M) is hilarious and “Stay Karl stay” (3M 3F) is equally so and a bit zany.
    Mary Miller – “Ferris Wheel” (1M 1F) is a little gem but is a bit short. Incidently, I see the Boards Drama Group is planning to do this.
    Bruce Kane – “Ruby of Elsinore”. I’ve seen this done by a group up north and it’s a hoot. Kane has loads of similar stuff. The good thing is that he has his own website where you can download scripts for a few dollars.
    Nearly all the plays mentioned can be presented quite simply without elaborate staging. We’ve done a lot of these in pubs.

I could go on .. but theres enough there to get you thinking. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimmydean

Thanks Jorg,

I checked out the Bruce Kane website and his stuff sounds perfect. You can even view the first few pages too which is good.
    Regarding the others, where is the best place to get scripts? Even the big shops in town are very light when it comes to play scripts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

If you’re looking for compilations, Amazon is good (worth considering for Ives and Durang). For the less well known, try Frenchs, Dramatists play service or stageplays.com.
    Another thought for a good comedy is “Brenton vs. Brenton” by David Tristram. Its like Dallas meets Airplane.
    And finally, not to leave out Irish writers, check out Geraldine Aron. Her plays are more drama than comedy but worth a look; Bar and Ger, The Galway Girl and The Donohue Sisters are all very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement