Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia or Canada

• 20-03-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi guys,

Looking for your honest advice..

I am an IT professional, I've always wanted to travel and am trying to decide on whether to go to Australia or Canada.

I will either be going in June or September depending on Visas.

If I was going to Australia I'd prefer to go to Melbourne although I hear Sydney has better job prospects.

If I was going to Canada I would try Montreal, then Vancouver then Toronto.

Based on people's experience of the job market / economy if you are in any of those areas how is it? Is it a tough job market?

I have about 5 years experience in IT / web management..

I've read a good few threads on Oz here and some people seem to think it's fine, others think it's about 6 months behind, others are focussed on backpacking, fruit picking.. it'd be great to get some perspective from natives or Irish professionals in the web industry based out there..

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi guys,

Looking for your honest advice..

I am an IT professional, I've always wanted to travel and am trying to decide on whether to go to Australia or Canada.

I will either be going in June or September depending on Visas.

If I was going to Australia I'd prefer to go to Melbourne although I hear Sydney has better job prospects.

If I was going to Canada I would try Montreal, then Vancouver then Toronto.

Based on people's experience of the job market / economy if you are in any of those areas how is it? Is it a tough job market?

I have about 5 years experience in IT / web management..

I've read a good few threads on Oz here and some people seem to think it's fine, others think it's about 6 months behind, others are focussed on backpacking, fruit picking.. it'd be great to get some perspective from natives or Irish professionals in the web industry based out there..

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it..

Think to yourself , do you walk into jobs in Ireland if the answer is yes you should be fine here (Melbourne) if you dont bring lots of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 anonymous2009

Hey, thanks for the advice...

Seems your saying Ireland has exactly the same economic conditions and job market as Sydney and Canada.

What would be great to know are people's experiences, what you've tried, your experience level, how long it took you to get a job,any stories you've heard from friends in similiar positions, and a general gut feeling if you've lived in any of these areas..

I have been offered 2 jobs here in Ireland however they are large drop in pay from what I was on, so its hard to say if I would necessarily 'walk' into another job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No Ireland is in the Toilet we are not that bad but remember coming here you have no support like you do back home.

I can see jobs for you on seek but I dont trust seek re IT anymore.

So just now that if you chose here you may spend a year not working in IT as those jobs will go to Aussies and residents first.

Advertisement