Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My downloads keep stopping too early :-/

• 20-03-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I have Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop. I used both Firefox and Internet Explorer, both are fully up-to-date versions.

No matter which browser I use, for some reason over the past few weeks, the vast majority of my downloads are claiming to be "Complete" when they clearly aren't. For example, when downloading a 350MB video file, when it reached 75MB the download window said "Download Complete" and left it at that. On trying to open the file, I get an error message saying "File Not Valid" or whatever.

This has happened with downloads of various different kinds of files, mostly with media files. It happens in both Firefox and IE.

I recently moved house and this problem has been happening in both houses with both different internet accounts/connections. The only similarity is that I'm using a Netgear Wireless Router in both cases.

I have ruled out a temporary fail in the internet connection because in one case I was downloading two files and only one of the files stopped early and claimed to be "Complete" while the other one continued to download to actual completion. If there had been a fail in internet connection, both files would have stopped early.

Can anyone help with this??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

there is no timeout's in firefox so it should work. is this torrent files or normal files you are downloading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Regular files, not torrents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sometimes this happens with proxies

try downloading with something else to see if it's the browser or something else like firewall, AV or whathaveyou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

When downloading these files, does it say what the total size is or just downloading size unknown?

unknownTime_inline.jpg

It says what the total size is. And then stops way before it reaches that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Do IE and Firefox store the download in a temporary file until the download is completed? If so do you have sufficient space allocated for temporary internet files?

Yes I always have more than enough disk space for the file(s) being downloaded.

IE/Firefox save the file onto the desktop as soon as it starts to download and then the file increases in size as it is being downloaded.

The problem is that it stops downloading ("completes") too early and I am left with an unreadable (for example) 75MB file that is supposed to be 350MB, and IE/Firefox telling me the download is "Complete."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eskimo wrote: »
    The problem is that it stops downloading ("completes") too early and I am left with an unreadable (for example) 75MB file that is supposed to be 350MB, and IE/Firefox telling me the download is "Complete."
    As someone else asked, are you going through a proxy of some sort? They can sometimes cause these kinds of problems. If so, try configuring your browser or Internet Options to remove the proxy reference and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Run ccleaner to clear your temp folders and de-crapify

I've been using computers for about 13 years, and the Internet for about 10 years, yet I'm not quite sure what "going through a proxy" means. :) Whatever it is, I don't think i'm doing it lol, BUT I could be wrong.

Re: cleaning out my Temp files and de-crapifying, I delete ALL my internet files every time I use the internet, which is almost every day, in whatever browsers I've been using, so there are no temporary internet files on my computer really.

I use TuneUp Utilities which I have running in the background constantly so that tends to take care of any other crap that might be going on.

Maybe this problem of mine isn't meant to be solved!! I really appreciate the replies so far though - thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I use flashget to do all my downloads ,you can even continue a failed download

http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm

and also make sure you get the plugin for firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220

Advertisement