Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterways, Ashtown, D15.

Options
  • 20-03-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the above dev being relaunched this week...1 beds from €159,000. I know the area and it's pretty nice and has many amenities and the apts overlook the Royal Canal and some playing fields the far side. All looks good value. Or am I being naive?
    Surely, these are value in a market seriously lacking value??

All feedback welcome...I think!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Check out their sizes, they are tiny.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you also have to remember trying to sell a one bed apartment in the future might be very hard, especially if they are matchbox size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've seen the plans and the layouts look more than reasonable.
    47sq.m. (505sq.ft) to 50sq.m. (543sq.ft) - seems ok size in terms of stated dimensions but obviously nothing like going there and getting a feel for it physically.
    Obviously it'd be more difficult to sell a 1bed in future but what about the principal of renting out a place when it should more than cover the mortgage?
    I'm thinking rent = €900, mortgage = €600-ish?

Surely, this is at a good value level??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

might it be better to get the two bed (229,00 I think) and rent a room (~ 400I would think) and have more space and better selling potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

belcarra wrote: »
    I know the area and it's pretty nice and has many amenities and the apts overlook the Royal Canal and some playing fields the far side. All looks good value. Or am I being naive?

Living in the area - in fact I walked passed the apartments this morning.

IMO the blocks do not appear particularly nice, compared to the Crescent around it, but its still quite good. The area is generally quite, and as you say the amenities are good - shops, public transport etc And a pub soon enough.

The bad things, again IMO, are that overlooking the canal, is also overlooking the railway, make sure you're there when a train is going by to assess the noise levels. The other bad thing is that beside the blocks is a vacant plot. Recently Capel have applied for planning on that plot for up to 11 storeys, which will take 10 years to complete. It's unlikely that they'll get this but realistically it could be 7 storeys, and still take years to complete, so assess that too.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    might it be better to get the two bed (229,00 I think) and rent a room (~ 400I would think) and have more space and better selling potential?

Extra person = less space overall in IMHO...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

47sq.m. (505sq.ft) to 50sq.m. (543sq.ft) - seems ok size in terms of stated dimensions but obviously nothing like going there and getting a feel for it physically.
    Obviously it'd be more difficult to sell a 1bed in future but what about the principal of renting out a place when it should more than cover the mortgage?

bear in mind rents are going south rapidly, you may find in two years that the rent might not cover the mortgage especially in interest rates go up....
    I now there is another phase due to be built if they can shift this phase, and giving the problems they are having you can imagine that the prices for the next phase could be even lower...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

jobless wrote: »
    bear in mind rents are going south rapidly, you may find in two years that the rent might not cover the mortgage especially in interest rates go up....
    I now there is another phase due to be built if they can shift this phase, and giving the problems they are having you can imagine that the prices for the next phase could be even lower...

Also the management fee which seem to be rising rapidly every where... Say the management fee is 1,800/year, so the difference between renting and buying is much smaller... so for 6 months your mortgage + management fee would be approx 900, anyway...

At the same time €159K is probably about a 50% discount on 2 years ago, and the location isn't bad at all. So it would make you think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

My friend has a 3 bed and its really nice. Like a ghost town though and they have pedantic clampers.

catch88 wrote: »
    they have pedantic clampers.

Not sure where you mean, but there are no clampers in the Earlswood/Rathborne/Waterways/Crescent.

The Village, Pelletstown Manor and Royal Canal Park have clampers

So many management companies, so little done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

thats a good point about the trains. i used to live in riverforestview leixlip and the trains going by just outside my window did my head in. esp if you work nights..my girlfriend rents in rathborne avenue not a huge distance from the waterways but you can hear the trains from there. its not too bad its more the horn as its pulling off than anything however it might be a different storey from right beside it.... the 2 bedroom ones dont overlook the canal theyre north/west facing so the view from the balcony will be of that vacant plot. they do look nice though and the price isnt too bad either.. might go down n have a look myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Be aware that many banks don't give mortgages for 1 BR Apartments at all, as they are so difficult to sell on. You will probably have trouble finding a Lender that gives you a mortgage for a 1BR apartment.

And a rent of 900 Euro for a 1 BR might also be quite optimistic currently. I know people who managed to get rents for 1 BR down to 700-800 Euro in much better locations throughout dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭francish

Daft is advertising 3 one beds in Ashtown at Eur900-950 range, however is this realistic? Maybe 6 months ago, you could get this, but I would have thought the figure is now much lower. There may be people currently paying this level of rent but does anyone know of recent rentals at this range. A friend was only able to get Eur900 for 1 bed with parking in Dublin city centre, a couple of years old but well maintained and reasonable space. Lets say rents in Ashtown fall to Eur600 for 1 bed apartment (prob a bit optimistic) then taking into management fees and other expenses, a valuation of Eur120K would be maximum you would pay. An asking price of Eur159K is prob 33% overvalued. Interesting to hear peoples views on likely future rents in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was out there today (Very busy) the apartments are very nice and a really good size. If your working in on that side of town/IFSC its grand as the dart would have you there in no time. Dont think ill be buying one though, think I hold out a bit longer and get a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Continuing my penchant for show apartment tours lately, I took a much longer spin out to this highly advertised development. Got a little lost en route due to the awful mapping on daft.ie which suggested the apartments were on the opposite side of the canal! Got there eventually though. There are many many developments in the area. The approach road from the city side takes you along the canal and into the centre of a high rise cluster of 6 or 7 blocks. I'm not sure if they're all called the Waterways or if it's just the one block with the show apartments.

I don't know the area very well but the housing estate on the opposite side of the canal (where I got lost) was very nice indeed. Very family friendly. This side of the canal however is a bit more industrial. Hard to know if the rest of the area will be developed properly or be left as a veritable wasteland.

The grounds and communal interiors are vastly superior to last weeks Herberton experience. There was a nice lady to welcome me and point me in the right direction. Another nice lady and man on arrival from the lift to guide me.

Unlike Herberton, there was a 3-bed to view here. It was 90sqm. in size (279K I think). The rooms are quite large and the bathrooms are of a high standard. As per usual I was disappointed with the kitchen/living room arrangement (Instant no no from me). The only one that was appealing was the 1-bed where the kitchen was almost separate.

The balconies are very large compared to most developments. Huge table on it with plenty of seating/BBQ space. The fittings seemed like good quality. The view was nice too over the canal and Dublin mountains in the distance.

I think it said on the ad that it was close to the Phoenix Park. This is a complete lie. Nowhere near. Also, it's not too far from pretty bad areas of Finglas.

The presentation throughout was excellent. Whomever the developer has hired for marketing is doing a good job. It would sell it to a lot of people I'd say. The retro look was impressive for the most part.

Apartments are not generally good value but I have to say, the upper floor levels of this development are not bad, especially if you're overlooking the canal. They're all well laid out, and as someone said, if you were working anywhere along the train line or near Connolly Stn., they're pretty handy. I couldn't see where you could access the train station though. I was there when a train went by and it wasn't too loud at all. Hard to know if that would be the same early in the morning or late at night. You'd still need a car out here for shopping etc. but I wouldn't fancy commuting on those pokey roads.

Personally I'd be a bit worried that they won't finish the area properly and it is a bit far out for apartments. Nice family homes would have been wonderful to see in this part of Dublin. Had these apartments been closer to town at these prices, I'd take one.

They had a few ground floor apartments available in the other blocks. Seemed to me that they're desperate to get rid of them. The first thing the marketing woman said was "we're negotiable on these"!. I woudn't go near one though. Every window was on a footpath. You'd always have to keep your blinds closed.

Anyway, these would suit plenty of people and it's great to see prices coming down to relatively affordable prices.

Eglinton wrote: »
    I think it said on the ad that it was close to the Phoenix Park. This is a complete lie. Nowhere near. Also, it's not too far from pretty bad areas of Finglas.
    Phoenix Park is less than a mile away from those apts. Also, nearest part of Finglas is prob about a mile the opp direction. From my Sister living in the area for the past 2.5 years she hasn't noticed much neg activity.

I couldn't see where you could access the train station though. I was there when a train went by and it wasn't too loud at all. Hard to know if that would be the same early in the morning or late at night. You'd still need a car out here for shopping etc.

Superquinn is a 4 min walk away! And train station is pretty much beside Superquinn! (Both based in The Village) I think you may have come in from the Ratoath Road end and not noticed these. Both extremely convenient!

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback though. I wonder did they get many booking deposits? If not all gone it would be interesting to see what they are willing to accept in 6 weeks time...??

Phoenix Park is less than a mile away from those apts. Also, nearest part of Finglas is prob about a mile the opp direction. From my Sister living in the area for the past 2.5 years she hasn't noticed much neg activity.

Superquinn is a 4 min walk away! And train station is pretty much beside Superquinn! (Both based in The Village) I think you may have come in from the Ratoath Road end and not noticed these. Both extremely convenient!

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback though. I wonder did they get many booking deposits? If not all gone it would be interesting to see what they are willing to accept in 6 weeks time...??

Yeah, I came in the Rathoath Road. Didn't notice them. I knew the train station had to be easily acessible as I could see it from the balcony. Regarding Phoenix park though, it might be a mile as the crow flies but it seemed that you'd have to go a good distance to cross the canal and navigate a few roads to get there. It's certainly not as close as they'd have you believe.

From it's promo
    It is the envious views of water, mountain and parkland which make The waterways a landmark location. These apartments overlook the Royal canal and have a bird's eye view of the Phoenix Park"

I certainly couldn't see the Phoenix park. It's a spurious claim.

From Ashtown train station to the Ashtown gate of the park is 0.36 miles, which is about 500mtrs...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/dublin/974123776917639445

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Actually away from the finglas side it is only bout 6-7 mins from phoenix park

Yeah, Regarding Phoenix park though, it might be a mile as the crow flies but it seemed that you'd have to go a good distance to cross the canal and navigate a few roads to get there. It's certainly not as close as they'd have you believe.

From it's promo

the phoenix park can actually be walked to easier dan driven, ders an exit near d train station

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    the phoenix park can actually be walked to easier dan driven, ders an exit near d train station

Sweet heart of jaysus - where did you go to school?

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Sweet heart of jaysus - where did you go to school?

why??? Is it because I wrote in text languauge??sorry about that!

From Ashtown train station to the Ashtown gate of the park is 0.36 miles, which is about 500mtrs...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/dublin/974123776917639445

Actually away from the finglas side it is only bout 6-7 mins from phoenix park

Fair enough. I don't know the area too well so I guess I approached it from the totally wrong side. It wasn't obvious to me at all though how close it was. I still think the 'birds eye view' is misleading. It's great that there's a Superquinn nearby. Because it just seemed in the middle of nowhere to me.

I wonder what the whole are will be like in a few years time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.375981,-6.324735&daddr=Castleknock+Rd&hl=en&geocode=%3BFTxgLgMdVluf_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.374983,-6.321559&sspn=0.017947,0.038452&ie=UTF8&ll=53.374637,-6.326945&spn=0.008974,0.019226&t=k&z=16

To clear up any confusion here is a map showing the drive from Waterways to Phoenix park. (In reality it's even shorter but Google don't have all the roads on their map yet!!)

If you were to walk it you'd go along the canal as far as the train station and join up with the car route.

If you were to walk it you'd go along the canal as far as the train station and join up with the car route.

According to Google Earth thats 1.07km, and a nice start to a walk in the Park on a good day :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

as every said, the phoenix park is only a few mins away and you have the horse riding right beside it the complex and you can hire the horse and head off to the phoenix park - i used to do this all the time.

in relation to the finglas comment, the ratoath road is the quietest part of finglas, so i wouldnt be having any worries about that

the restuarant there is quiet nice with wifi, the superquinn is small but adequate. you have two beauticans, a barbers, large chemist, great off licence.

all in all it's appears to be a really nice area. i wouldnt be relying on the train service though, its the maynooth line that stops there. i have been stuck a number of times at the platform because the train is far too packed to get on

i heard there is quiet a lot of trouble around the canal area at night with gangs of kids and underage drinking. i was actually in pelletstown centre on friday night and there were gangs of kids around stealing bottles of wine and drinking them on the canal.

there also appears to be big problems with car thefts and vandalism.

but all and in all not a bad area for cabra

but all and in all not a bad area for cabra

It is amazing how a strip of land sandwiched in-between D7 & D11 gets zoned as D15 :rolleyes:

It is amazing how a strip of land sandwiched in-between D7 & D11 gets zoned as D15 :rolleyes:

That does seem weird but is that a good thing or not?
    D11 = Finglas, D7 = Cabra??, D15 = Blanch...is there any advantage???!

That does seem weird but is that a good thing or not?
    D11 = Finglas, D7 = Cabra??, D15 = Blanch...is there any advantage???!

It is weird, can't quite work it out, i know the area quite well....

Some would say that this part of D15 is more associated with Castleknock, hence more desirable....

All and all i don't think its a bad area...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It is weird, can't quite work it out, i know the area quite well....

Some would say that this part of D15 is more associated with Castleknock, hence more desirable....

All and all i don't think its a bad area...

Giving it a Castleknock label(its no where near here, more like Ashtown/Cabra) does not change the fact about its location. The anti-social element will never go away.

Before those RCP apts were built, the area was a joyriding playground as well as a storage area for the horses from the estates.

I'd never live by a canal anyway, canals in urban areas in Ireland always attract the dodgy crowd even in D4!

Advertisement