Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Village Inn - Celbridge

Options
  • 20-03-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I don't know how many of ye are familiar with this pub but me and my two brothers had a very strange experiance here recently.

We had been playing football in the 5-side complex and decided to go to the pub to watch the Ireland-Italy rugby match. Originally I wasn't going to have anything to drink (seeing as I don't drink either alcohol or soft drinks) but the barman wouldn't allow this telling us "this is a pub either you order something or you get out" so eventually I conceded to buying an orange juice. When my brother returned from the bar however he had no drinks with him!!! The other brother went to get some dinner when the barman again came over and said "Look lads ye can't do this, either ye order something or ye leave" to which my brother replied "well we were going to have a coke and an orange juice". "And what about the other guy?", "He's going to get some food". Which we thought would be good enough 1 meal and 3 drinks, probably 6 drinks if we stayed for the whole match, roughly costing 40 euro or so, but the barman proceded to ask us if we were getting any food, we replied no and thus he kicked us out!!??:confused:

I mean why would you turn down 40 quid on the chance that three people might come in and all three of them order food, and judging from his attitude I wouldn't think any would be coming in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

That's pretty sad alright. Id say he was hoping to keep your seats for people coming in to spend a fortune on gargle.

Edit:

Anyway, you look into booking the Leixlip Amenities astro pitches with your mates. They're bigger, have a better surface and have proper flood lighting. :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Christo wrote: »
    I don't know how many of ye are familiar with this pub but me and my two brothers had a very strange experiance here recently.

We had been playing football in the 5-side complex and decided to go to the pub to watch the Ireland-Italy rugby match. Originally I wasn't going to have anything to drink (seeing as I don't drink either alcohol or soft drinks) but the barman wouldn't allow this telling us "this is a pub either you order something or you get out" so eventually I conceded to buying an orange juice. When my brother returned from the bar however he had no drinks with him!!! The other brother went to get some dinner when the barman again came over and said "Look lads ye can't do this, either ye order something or ye leave" to which my brother replied "well we were going to have a coke and an orange juice". "And what about the other guy?", "He's going to get some food". Which we thought would be good enough 1 meal and 3 drinks, probably 6 drinks if we stayed for the whole match, roughly costing 40 euro or so, but the barman proceded to ask us if we were getting any food, we replied no and thus he kicked us out!!??:confused:

I mean why would you turn down 40 quid on the chance that three people might come in and all three of them order food, and judging from his attitude I wouldn't think any would be coming in

FFS!! What a dirty shower of so and so's. I'm not surprised. they have no manners down there. And you know what, I think I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. The establishment has its regulars. enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Christo

Yeah, we usually play on the Maynooth campus because it's free but there was a competition on in Celbridge

Good plug though, how do you get paid for that

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Was in there about 3 nights ago. I would understand if they were busy and wanted to free up space for other punters. I'm assuming that it was relatively busy as the rugby was on? If it was quite I the owner would rather you there regardless of whether you were spending money as it would look busy. Nothing worse than a dead pub, bit uncomfortable staying there.

But it's not good form to be kicking people out for not buying much considering that there is a huge drop in consumer spend. Maybe the barman has is head in the sand for the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

What age did the barman serving you appear to be? If he was a younger guy, maybe recently promoted, he might not have know how to handle the situation...(and there was none..) He just dug a hole..

And yes there is definitely a regular crowd in that pub. Same loosers outside it every time i walk by it at night after training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

That place is a bit dingy to be honest. Next time go the mucky duck, or the abbey lodge.

mp3guy wrote: »
    That place is a bit dingy to be honest. Next time go the mucky duck, or the abbey lodge.

Macs all the way. A quality establishment. The ducks a bit to bright for my liking when havin a scoop. Dont start me on the kildrought. That place is like a bloody hotel reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

SeanMurphy wrote: »
    Macs all the way. A quality establishment. The ducks a bit to bright for my liking when havin a scoop. Dont start me on the kildrought. That place is like a bloody hotel reception.

Kildrought is easily the best place to watch a match in Celbridge, always an atmosphere for them. Macs has far to many up themselves ar$eholes with a chip on their shoulder. You just never feel comfortable drinking there. With it's over sized wine glasses and all that bull$hit. Their attitude is are you having fun, if so get out!

I actually really like the kildrought as well, very bright and well kept, not like other dark holes of pubs

Go to maynooth for a few scooparoonies, better atmosphere!

• Advertisement

Not unless you want to pay for transport to and from there. For one or two quiet pints during the week the pubs down the village more than suit me.

ah ya fair enough jesus wouldnt suggest you to go to maynooth if you were only having 2 pints, would cost you extra 2 pints to get there and back again.
    Just if you were going out for the night, it's more of a laugh

Yeah definitely, Celbridge really isn't a place to go out on a mad one.

Go to the CH for danger pints. Always a good way to get the adrenaline flowing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

My take on the Celbridge pubs:-

Mucky Duck.... haven't been there since it was closed with an infestation, never really liked it , the fact it's empty on a Sat night is telling. Never liked the place to be frank.

Village Inn.... a scary ' dive ' , was in there once and was made as welcome as a outbreak of flu

The Abbey ... totally totally ' up themselves ' . The owner runs it like his little club , if he doesn't like you then tough, we used to go to the restaurant upstairs however the last time the service I got was so bad I have never been back.

The Kildrought ... yes it's rather like a hotel bar , decent enough pint good for a match, however rather too many kids ( as in familes ). Now don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with kids in pubs , but when the place resembles a creche like it does on a Sunday afternoon

O'Conners .... good pint , good price , but you have to like horse racing , not a family pub

Castletown Inn , good food , decent pint , good all rounder

Speaker ( Part of Castletown Inn ) , decent pint , however very much regulars , only offputting thing is the slight toilet smell. I personally like the place .

Celbridge Hse .... total and utter dive ( in my opinion ) , bad pints ( last time I went there I couldn't drink it ) and not a nice mix of people .

So ........ you pays your money you takes your choice .........

Here here! Excellent analysis.

Abbey Lodge would be me and my friends first port of call, but I agree with you. Even when we show up for a pint and the banter, you cant help but notice the supervisor himself.

Ive never been in O'Connors to be honest. But i am interested..

Think ill give the Castletown Inn an shot this weekend. Just to see what its like. Only been in it once.

Jaysus id murder a pint of the black stuff now..:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I remember once the Abbey Lodge refused a guy who had a tattoo on his arm and would only serve him when he put his jacket back on. The guy thinks he's running the Ivy or something.
    There's was a minor scuffle in there before Christmas and he accused one of the blokes involved of ruining "15 years of good reputation."
    I was in there again around New Years and seen another row, so he's kidding himself about the reputation, there's just as many knackers drinking in there
    Village Inn is a dump (Dumps can be fun though sometimes ;) ), and the manager is another t*sser, used to be ok for a late drink but doesn’t do that now.
    Celbridge House is a regular’s only dive and too separated from the rest of the town.
    Kildrought is also quite regular friendly but good for a match or quiet pint on occasion, has a few regular loud barflies that can be a bit off-putting, you can stay clear of them without any hassle though. Front part of O’Connor’s and Speaker Bar of C.Town Inn are for aul fellas
    Lounge of Castletown Inn- when busy can be good craic, but is a bit like a wedding at times with the one long bar and everyone in full view of each other. When quiet, it's dead.

One place people haven’t mentioned is the back of the CastleTown Inn, the hottest place in town in the mid 90's, sadly not the case anymore, mostly dead now like an unused function room, and of the half regular crowd they do get, some of them are little thugs

Given the choice, I’d go to Maynooth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I think the back of the Castletown Inn flooded in the summer during the bad floods , not sure if Noel re-instated it. ( haven't down the back of the Inn for a while , usually in the Speaker ...jeez do I qualify as an Aul-fella now ?? )

Where would you drink in Maynooth D-fens ?

I quite like the new pub ( o-neils ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I think the back of the Castletown Inn flooded in the summer during the bad floods , not sure if Noel re-instated it. ( haven't down the back of the Inn for a while , usually in the Speaker ...jeez do I qualify as an Aul-fella now ?? )

Where would you drink in Maynooth D-fens ?

I quite like the new pub ( o-neils ? )

Was in the back of the Inn recently, didn’t look like there was any flood damage (to the 15 year old decor)

Haven’t been in O’Neil’s yet, but like the Roost and Brady’s upstairs is ok for a late one (I’m also ashamed to say I’ve given in to the late night lure of the Glen Royale with Cheese :D )

And yes, you are an aul fella if you drink in the speaker, how's your golf handicap? :p

Advertisement