Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I LUV VAN HALEN

• 20-03-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Always stayed away from them, thought they were real sh1t but lately i find i can get enough of them.

*The terrible lyrics
    *the upbeat songs
    *the incredible, original guitar riffs and solos :eek::eek::eek:

Songs like humans being, dance the night away, running with the devil. Amazing.

If only there wasnt so many egos competing on the same stage, I know they are touring but that could fall through at any moment.

Anyone else wanna say anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Humans Being was bloody terrible, it was done with a very reluctant Sammy Hagar on board who initially rejected it for a greatest hits compilation in 96 (although it ended on it anyway) and was done for the Twister soundtrack.

It's often considered the blasting cap for the band exploding later that year, although the two Van Halen brothers didn't exactly help with the whole Roth in for a couple of songs idea.

They are touring but they're a shell of their former selves, Eddie's son, Wolfgang is miming the bass over Alex's recording and Roth, good as he was, isn't 24 anymore.

Worth going through their stuff up til Balance, steer well clear from Van Halen III where Gary Cherone tried to be the second coming of DLR...

... and failed miserably!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

talk of them co-headlining with G'N'R for upcoming gigs, says Classic Rock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Jump video is funny. More bands should do that now, giving thumbs up to the camera and grinning cheesily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Kings of cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Whoa, whoa, whoa Jamie's Cryin'

That is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thier best is teh win, thier worst is awful!

So here's a cracker

Gridlock wrote: »
    talk of them co-headlining with G'N'R for upcoming gigs, says Classic Rock?

If you've heard recent live Van Halen, it would put you off going to see GNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

to quote bowling for soup's song 1985:

wheres the miniskirts made of snake skin,
    and who's that other guy singing in van halen?! :D

to quote bowling for soup's song 1985:

wheres the miniskirts made of snake skin,
    and who's that other guy singing in van halen?! :D

To be fair, I liked Sammy Hagar in Van Halen, i think he did a much better job of the vocals. He didn't have the presence of DLR, but he and Eddie definitely connected a lot better, and it worked as a better song writing partnership. After all, you can only sing about getting bombed and laid so many times.

I also think Balance was highly underrated and badly promoted in 1995 too. Of course, a Rock Band getting haircuts in the mid 90s generally is a putoff for promotion. Ask Metallica. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    If you've heard recent live Van Halen, it would put you off going to see GNR.
    And If you've seen recent GNR, it would put you off going to hear live Van Halen.

axl-rose.jpg

• Advertisement

And If you've seen recent GNR, it would put you off going to hear live Van Halen.

axl-rose.jpg

I did see them in 2006, and i'd easily go again. At least Axl still has his voice. Roth is bloody terrible now.

Nice try though, check. ;)

I did see them in 2006, and i'd easily go again. At least Axl still has his voice. Roth is bloody terrible now.

Nice try though, check. ;)

Roth never had a great voice in fairness. Eddie is the star and Roth is a nice bonus. The kid is a bit of a buzz kill alright.

Axl on the otherhand is just touring with a GNR covers band minus the singer.

Roth never had a great voice in fairness. Eddie is the star and Roth is a nice bonus. The kid is a bit of a buzz kill alright.

Roth never had a great voice, but he was able to use it to the best of his ability, unfortunately that ran out many years ago. And Eddie's been a miserable git since his false hip in 1995.
    Axl on the otherhand is just touring with a GNR covers band minus the singer.

Have you actually seen them live? Or are you just repeating off what the "Internet sayz?"

To be fair, I liked Sammy Hagar in Van Halen, i think he did a much better job of the vocals. He didn't have the presence of DLR, but he and Eddie definitely connected a lot better, and it worked as a better song writing partnership.

ah yeah i liked sammy too, i just think thats a catchy lyric! :p but i think in a front man, presence can at times be more important than pure vocals ya kno?
    After all, you can only sing about getting bombed and laid so many times.

someone better tell motley crue!! :pac:
    Of course, a Rock Band getting haircuts in the mid 90s generally is a putoff for promotion. Ask Metallica. ;)

its like samson...should neevr have gotten a hair cut!! :p
    I did see them in 2006, and i'd easily go again. At least Axl still has his voice..

totally agree, twas a brilliant gig imo and i was amazed at how good axls voice was.....and that he came on bang on time!! :p

but i think in a front man, presence can at times be more important than pure vocals ya kno?

Not when you're listening to CDs or mp3's. ;)
    someone better tell motley crue!! :pac:

They'll be in zimmerframes still talking about taking walks on the wild side! :D
    its like samson...should neevr have gotten a hair cut!! :p

Read an interview on him at the time, he was extremely depressed at the time, f*cked off home in the middle of a TV appearance and shaved it all off.
    totally agree, twas a brilliant gig imo and i was amazed at how good axls voice was.....and that he came on bang on time!! :p

Too bad the same couldn't be said for Bumblefoot's guitar playing. Nothing was on time there at all!!

mike65 wrote: »
    Thier best is teh win, thier worst is awful!

So here's a cracker

I've never heard that song before but its a classic already. Can't get it out of my head. The production is excellent, I like the use of reverb and eq, there's a very crisp fresh sound on the tracks. The guitar playing is assured and fluid and the vocal delivery is both melodic and has character. I mean this trumps 99% of mainstream rock/pop today.

I've never heard that song before but its a classic already. Can't get it out of my head. The production is excellent, I like the use of reverb and eq, there's a very crisp fresh sound on the tracks. The guitar playing is assured and fluid and the vocal delivery is both melodic and has character. I mean this trumps 99% of mainstream rock/pop today.

Yep, it's also a tune that saw a court case at the end of the 80s after Tone Loc had sampled part of the guitar riff for Wild Thing, without permission. Eddie won the case and later pressings of the album credited Eddie in the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I absolutely love DLR, I have this video:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Lee-Roth-VHS/dp/6302374340/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237671123&sr=8-6
    and it is awesome, it has some of his music videos and interviews, and it is full of multicoloured spandex, big hair, funny costumes, silly dancing, and total cheesiness. I think VH with Sammy were rubbish, Dave was by far the best. Disappointingly though, I saw Dave live in 2003 and he seemed like he didn't really want to be doing it any more, his heart wasn't in it. He is a paramedic now apparently!

He is a paramedic now apparently!

When he's not touring with the Van Halens ;)

Yep, it's also a tune that saw a court case at the end of the 80s after Tone Loc had sampled part of the guitar riff for Wild Thing, without permission. Eddie won the case and later pressings of the album credited Eddie in the song.

Strangely enough I find the production, mix and mastering far better than a lot of whats out there atm. The guitars for example Opeths Blackwater Park are too compressed for my liking and tend to muddle into each other, granted there is a lot more layering. When I contrast it to this song, I prefer the clarity of the mix.

• Advertisement

Have you actually seen them live? Or are you just repeating off what the "Internet sayz?"

Yeah I saw them in 2006, same concert as you. I heard the Christina Agularas 'I am beautiful' played as a guitar solo and I saw a bunch of strangers playing the GNR songs while Axl sang over them.

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Ah now the bauld VH... this is a great thread... early VH for me all the way... Unchained... kicking song and Panama is one of the best rock songs ever written and great to drive to with the windows down on a sunny day... but have any of you seen any of the really early interviews with Lee Roth?? Too funny, he is bloody priceless... here's a particularly funny one from 1981:

Yeah I saw them in 2006, same concert as you. I heard the Christina Agularas 'I am beautiful' played as a guitar solo and I saw a bunch of strangers playing the GNR songs while Axl sang over them.

Meh

Problem is they weren't a bunch of strangers. And if you knew your music, you'd have heard of most of them. :) They weren't the Illusion line up, but if you were expecting anything else before you bought the ticket, then you're off your rocker. ;)

Problem is they weren't a bunch of strangers. And if you knew your music, you'd have heard of most of them. :) They weren't the Illusion line up, but if you were expecting anything else before you bought the ticket, then you're off your rocker. ;)

spot on!

and did you know that a few of those "strangers" were touring musicians with gnr during the illusion tours! so they know their stuff!

so exactly who is in the current Van halen lineup?

spot on!

and did you know that a few of those "strangers" were touring musicians with gnr during the illusion tours! so they know their stuff!

so exactly who is in the current Van halen lineup?

At present the Van Halen line up is.

David Lee Roth - Vocals
    Eddie Van Halen - Guitars
    Alex Van Halen - Drums
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "Bass"

(bass is quoted as it's been reported several times that Wolfie is really only miming the bass over a set of Michael Anthony dubs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ger8150

Nice to see DLR back with Van Halen but its too little too late, should have done it in 1996. Now that would have been HUGE.

Love the early stuff, Aint Talkin About Love, Panama, Unchained. Not really too gone on the "Van Hagar" era.

David Lee Roth all the way for me on this one.

Problem is they weren't a bunch of strangers. And if you knew your music, you'd have heard of most of them.

Completely irrelevant. They weren't gnr.
    They weren't the Illusion line up, but if you were expecting anything else before you bought the ticket, then you're off your rocker.

I went to see Axl, ive been a big fan of gnr for decades and if i cant see the whole band i was willing to just see axl, now that thats done I dont feel the need to massage his ego and pretend that gnr are still touring and making great music because lets face it.They are not.

Completely irrelevant. They weren't gnr.

Strictly your opinion, several others disagree too.
    I went to see Axl, ive been a big fan of gnr for decades and if i cant see the whole band i was willing to just see axl, now that thats done I dont feel the need to massage his ego and pretend that gnr are still touring and making great music because lets face it.They are not.

Again, strictly your opinion, which several others disagree with too.

The fact that axl is the only existing member is hardly 'strictly my opinion' apart from dizzy of course.

Go ahead type gnr into google images search and see what comes up. You guessed it my opinion is right there too.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

The fact that axl is the only existing member is hardly 'strictly my opinion'.

*cough* dizzy reid *cough* (was in the illusion line up!)

Advertisement