Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depreciating currency

• 20-03-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

A depreciating currency may give a boost to exports, how may it actually cause long term damage to that countries economy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

not quite sure what you are asking here but it is kind of irrelevant anyway because Ireland cannot devalue the euro. It is a great economic tool though and is benefiting the UK. A currency gets its value by the laws of supply and demand i.e. as price goes up, quantity demanded falls and if quantity (supply) goes up, price falls. The UK are just making more money available so that the value of it will fall. It is not a long term thing so they can limit supply again, pushing the value back up again. They are in control of their currency. They will alter it to suit themselves. It is working. Look at all the people going up the north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Arka

Actually, my question was more for North American currencies like Canadian dollar. I realize that Canadian exports will fall by at least 20% in the next six months. Canadian economy is not expecting any "contribution" to the GDP from the exports. So, will there be a long term damage to Canadian economy due to depreciating dollar while exports fall? And How?

Advertisement