Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms officer inspection

Options
  • 20-03-2009 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hi all, im expecting a visit from the local crime prevention officer soon, to check my gun safe, what happens when he gets here, any info will be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

ak51535 wrote: »
    what happens when he gets here

I'm going to put my life savings on this one & say "He will inspect your gun safe". :D

Ok, jokes aside. Apart from inspecting the safe he will probably look at your home security and go through all the requirements he asked of you (if he did ask that).

Make out a list of questions you may have for him, have your firearm broken down, if you have any, and ammunition stored seperately etc. Make sure the safe is bolted to a solid brick wall & out of sight from potential prying eyes.

Don't forget to offer the coffee & biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's pretty much it. Are your doors and windows stout and secure, if you have an alarm is it working, is your safe appropriate and well-mounted, and so on and so forth.

Don't think of this as a test - think of this as a free appraisal of your home against burglary, given by a professional, and which could potentially reduce your insurance bill if you mention it come renewal time...

And like Trojan said, coffee and biscuits. Or, if you're not such a yuppie, tae and a hang sandwich or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I was told to expect a visit from the local crime prevention officer when I applied for my .243 licence which suited me as I wanted to talk to him about alarms and standards required etc, he never called nor could I ever get him on the phone or in the station and my licence arrived before my alarm was even fitted:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

My sarge knocked on the front door, I brought him straight up the stairs. He stuck his head in the door of the room where the safe was, had a glance at it and all I got was 'Ah, that's grand'. And off he went! 10 days later, first cert arrived!
    Just like the rest of the process, it depends on who you talk to and where you are..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Don't forget the cup of tea and bikkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Some Guards will give the safe a good tug to make sure its bolted on to the wall properly. Make sure it is - if he pulls a heavy safe off the wall on top of himself it probably won't help your application very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Some Guards will give the safe a good tug to make sure its bolted on to the wall properly. Make sure it is - if he pulls a heavy safe off the wall on top of himself it probably won't help your application very much!

Its also fairly hard to get rid of crushed Guards:D

Its also fairly hard to get rid of crushed Guards:D

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

haha, don't want to be mopping up guards all weekend anyway :L ok, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the biggest problem with CPO s is there not consistant in what they do .i know of a guy who has 5 guns in the house and a pistol with no safe ,but he is in the click .
    is there a guide for them or they make it up as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    is there a guide for them or they make it up as they go along.

There's a guide, as presented at the FCP conference last year:
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).
    Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Stick a few extra thousand rounds in the safe and they'll never budge it:D
    But seriously, I know a lad who had a visit from his CPO. Safe was alarmed and alarm was monitored. CPO wanted something built around the safe, so it didn't look like a safe, security lighting and cctv:eek:

derek_g34 wrote: »
    But seriously, I know a lad who had a visit from his CPO. Safe was alarmed and alarm was monitored. CPO wanted something built around the safe, so it didn't look like a safe, security lighting and cctv:eek:

thats more of it who to say NO to him ,what area was this in

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Somewhere between Carlow and Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was also asked to camouflage my safes when I had my inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

hi all, im expecting a visit from the local crime prevention officer soon, to check my gun safe, what happens when he gets here, any info will be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.

CPO in Waterford asked where the keys were , (on your person), opened the safe for him he gave it a good tug and was happy (4 bolts in wall and 2 in floor) had a look around the room ( safe shouldn't be visible,from window or doorway) no ammo in safe but he didn't ask anyway (have separate safe in separate room) didn't ask about alarm ( we don't have one) and he left happy . no tea and bikkies required.

Good luck.

I was also asked to camouflage my safes when I had my inspection.
    realtree or DPM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Had no inspection. Showed him a deposit for a safe at application and when licence was granted he just asked me if I definately had a safe. I said yes and that was it :rolleyes: I'd like to think its because I look trustworthy.

But I don't at all :eek:

jwshooter wrote: »
    realtree or DPM

real tree (space intended) :p Carpenter knocked up a nice concealment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Just had my inspection! Nice man. Offered the tea and coffee but he declined. Shiwed him set up and he was happy enough. Told him I was waiting on the digi dialer and for the safe to be wired up to alarm. Told me to give him a call when its done and he will cert me off:D

• Advertisement

Well i have the safe mounted up to a concrete wall now, i just hope he comes soon enough, i was told i'll be waiting 2-3 months for the liscence to come back. Thanks for the input by all

Well i have the safe mounted up to a concrete wall now, i just hope he comes soon enough, i was told i'll be waiting 2-3 months for the liscence to come back. Thanks for the input by all

I just received a .22-250 license exactly 3 months since the application went in. Allowing for the Xmas holidays during that period, not too bad! General consensus is that there is a bit of a go-slow in Garda HQ with processing applications at the moment. Hope you're not waiting too long.

there 5=6 weeks behind in garda HQ at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lad I know was in his local Garda station in the west a few weeks back . He found a stack of oul boys sitting around the station oiling and polishing their weapons . He found it quite surreal .

Apparently the local Firearms officer has two spit and polish days per annum for the characters who do not have a safe but leaved their pieces in the station and that was one of them :)

bang wrote: »
    CPO in Waterford asked where the keys were , (on your person), opened the safe for him he gave it a good tug and was happy (4 bolts in wall and 2 in floor) had a look around the room ( safe shouldn't be visible,from window or doorway) no ammo in safe but he didn't ask anyway (have separate safe in separate room) didn't ask about alarm ( we don't have one) and he left happy . no tea and bikkies required.

Good luck.

yeah, same happened with me...we may have had the same CPO lol

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lad I know was in his local Garda station in the west a few weeks back . He found a stack of oul boys sitting around the station oiling and polishing their weapons . He found it quite surreal .

Apparently the local Firearms officer has two spit and polish days per annum for the characters who do not have a safe but leaved their pieces in the station and that was one of them :)

what local station was this you said it was is the west, dodge was it

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

derek_g34 wrote: »

I had the CPO out from Naas when i applied for licence for .308 . and i had to build a cabinet around the safe in order to get approval and i already have a number of firearms.

Its no bad thing either

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I had the CPO out from Naas when i applied for licence for .308 . and i had to build a cabinet around the safe in order to get approval and i already have a number of firearms.

Its no bad thing either

I had the same thing. We probably have the same CPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

sorry wrong post!
    GL with the CPO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spudy

when my feo came round he just asked to look at my gun safe didnt even try and move it . i told him i had 6 12mm raw bolts holding it . said it was fine . then he just went through a few normal details with me . and off he went .oh he did asking if the house was alarmed i said now and he went on his way . i think differant feo have differant questions

Advertisement