Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could it callopse?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I live on the first floor of a house(converted into two flats) Lived here nearly 2 years. This week i noticed in one corner of the bathroom when you stood on the floor it sank a little. I lifted up the lino and the wood belows all black, its prob damp and rotted as the flats v old. I checked the rest of the toilet and the black wood seems to only be around the toilet

Im worried about this because it seems to have spread across the window area (toilets in front of the window) and anytime anyone stands on that area it sinks down.

Im going to tell my landlord about it when he calls for the rent Saturday - but in the meantime i am a compete DIFF with DIY. Is there a possibilty the floor could cave in on the flat below? Or is there something more structured under the rotting wood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Im going to tell my landlord about it when he calls for the rent Saturday - but in the meantime i am a compete DIFF with DIY. Is there a possibilty the floor could cave in on the flat below? Or is there something more structured under the rotting wood?
    Yeah, there's probably a bunch of pipes, electrical cables and itchy fibreglass wool, none of which is much fun to be hit by as you pass through the collapsing floor.

Sounds like your landlord really dropped the ball (err.. floor) here and has been neglecting the place for a long time... which doesn't bode well. In the one other case I've seen of sinking floors, the room was declared off limits for safety's sake!
    If your landlord doesn't sort it out NOW, you should probably give Threshold a call and ask for advice, because that is dangerous and sucks, as well as being unhealthy (you think that's air you're breathing now? How about mold!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

zynaps wrote: »
    (you think that's air you're breathing now? How about mold!).

Well thanks for the pick me up:P

Im actually more worried about the girl living downstairs- last thing she needs is one of us flying through her ceiling:D

Though its worrying me now im conviced ill be sitting on the john or in the bath when it happens:eek:

My landlords very forgetful it took 2 weeks for our washing machine to get sorted so fingers crossed:(

OH AND ALSO - i take very hot baths- I mean SCALDING (Im a freak i know) and even with the bathroom window wide open who whole place(even the walls) steam up (had to wipe damp off the walls on more than one occasion) Could this have caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Im actually more worried about the girl living downstairs- last thing she needs is one of us flying through her ceiling:D
    Hopefully if does happen, it will happen like this:
    Neighbour (to friend): "You must meet my neighbour upstairs, she's very nice. I do wish she'd drop in for tea and crumpets!"
    *almighty crash as toilet and useful_contacts fall through ceiling, landing at the table*
    Neighbour: "Well if it isn't the very devil... Tea?"
    OH AND ALSO - i take very hot baths- I mean SCALDING (Im a freak i know) and even with the bathroom window wide open who whole place(even the walls) steam up (had to wipe damp off the walls on more than one occasion) Could this have caused it?
    Yeah this is most likely it, poor ventilation in the place as well as bad/nonexistent dampproofing eventually leads to mold and rot - we even have some on the net curtain in our shower room, because we're too lazy to open the window before showering and close it again after (not like someone's going to break in through such a tiny window TBH, unless it's Oliver Twist, but he wouldn't be able to carry much with him anyway).
    In the last apartment (hovel) our walls started growing black mold (just from the condensation of our breathing :() in the winter until we washed it with bleach (on a long mop, overhead, yuk). That was an almighty kip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would be more worried about the whole section of floor collapsing.

You would be strongly advised to lock the door and move out till its fixed(if its your only bathroom)

Stay off it. call the landlord .

if the joists are rottin through there could be serous danger .

then again. It may just need a new sheet of ply .

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Get it sorted quickly beforew there is a serious accident. As poster was saying if landlord wont fix then your next port is threshold who regulate rented properties and their owners. He must fix asap. Be careful when sitting on the loo otherwise its out to the garden with a shovel.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

And don't forget to alert your neighbour too, it's unlikely she would appreciate being in the room directly below if the floor did cave in. It should also put additional pressure on your landlord to get repairs done quickly.

Advertisement