Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

great linux laptop

• 20-03-2009 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

do you recommend any guys?
    I'm looking for something up to date and less then 500 euros.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You could try a netbook - a lot of them come with Linux preinstalled. Something like the Asus Eeepc or Aspire One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm using an eee 1000 with cruncheee installed on it. It's great for what I need which is browsing,email,music and occasionally watching tv/movie. Everything works without a problem. Your best bet is to tell us what you want to use it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I have an Acer aspire one running crunchbang.

Generally happy with the build quality, and the keyboard is not bad
    compared to the cramped eee keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I have a HP 6735s running Ubuntu.

Build quality is very good and the keyboard is fine. I chose it because it just has a basic keyboard with any extra buttons that probably wouldn't work in Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From my experience most dell laptops work well with linux. Although it's worth doing a quick search online as you can occasionally come across an issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Dell do Ubuntu laptops, but not in Ireland (market is too small I guess):

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I think HP Pavillion works well with Linux too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If €500 is a target rather than a ceiling that you'd like to see change from,
    I got a 17" Asus delivered in January from laptopsdirect.ie for €503. (inc postage at about €18)

Sterling was low, and post Christmas sales were at their best,
    but the machine is magnificent and worked completely out of the box with a standard Ubuntu 8.10 install.

Of course that exact model is no longer on the list, but I'd recommend looking at what they have. People's experiences with laptopsdirect.ie vary. I've used them several times and always come away very happy. I also like that the search engine allows you search by "Graphics chipset" which is very linux friendly.

Toms hardware reported last week that Asus have toppled Apple from the top of the "reliability" charts for Q1 2009. Article linked here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

My samsung NC10 runs Fedora 10 - painless install from USB key, everything important worked straight off - just neede a small script to make the Fn key shortcuts work. Apparently Ubuntu will also install painlessly, although wireless network drivers may need to be built post install....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

niallb wrote: »

Toms hardware reported last week that Asus have toppled Apple from the top of the "reliability" charts for Q1 2009. Article linked here.

That's quite an achievement.

Advertisement