Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do i go about being a garda dectective or being in the traffic corp?

• 20-03-2009 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

How do i go about being a detective or being in the garda traffic corp like on road wars lol
    i have to do a 3 year standard uniformed patrol of streets is that right then what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Sorry if im the bearer of bad news but........
    Be a lot lot longer than 3 years before you become a detective..... it'll be a minimum of 5 years before you even get an interview before a board to try and become a detective, and you'd want to have an awful lot of detections and convictions under your belt for offences such as burglaries, robberies, serious assaults, fraud etc.

Traffic corps is the not like what you see on telly, you'll be out doing checkpoints, fatal rta's, drink drivers, speeders, summonses for insurance etc etc........ not very many high speed chases in garda subaru imprezas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

25 wrote: »
    How do i go about being a detective or being in the garda traffic corp like on road wars lol
    i have to do a 3 year standard uniformed patrol of streets is that right then what?

Dude, I honestly think you have been watching too much tv!!! If you were interested in the guards, being a detective or being in the traffic corps wouldn't be your priority....getting in first would be!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

"lol" indeed.

The huge majority is run-of-the-mill stuff which can become very boring very quickly. Bear in mind that the stuff you see on road wars is shot over a period of months, covering many teams on one show. It's then spliced together to make it look a lot more dramatic than it really is.

If you're using Road Wars as a guage for whether you think you'll like life as a Garda, may I suggest you ask a few serving Gardai on this forum what life is really like, and then make a reliably informed decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

And remember the Thames Valley police have allocated alot of funds to that 'Proactive team' to look 'cool' so as to entice people like your self to join the Police... Not all Police forces in the UK are like that

If your in a busy station you'll have plenty of days of 8 hours rushing from call to call on blue lights and sirens...... but thats only when your in the car (which will probably be once a week if its a big station), and if you get a quiet station..... thats a whole different story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blaa-guard

im agreein with these lads...ive just spent 2 wks with the detective branch and 2 weeks with traffic corp n dont ever wana do either again... love workin on the unit u get to a bit of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Get well in with your Super:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

blaa-guard wrote: »
    im agreein with these lads...ive just spent 2 wks with the detective branch and 2 weeks with traffic corp n dont ever wana do either again... love workin on the unit u get to a bit of everything

Theres quiet a difference from being a student on placements and appointed as a detective or member of traffic corps. (not putting down students, after all i was one myself)
    Of course it all depends on who you work with and what your interests are. Traffic isnt just Traffic and Branch inst just branch. If you have the interest to diversify then you can detect anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

blaa-guard wrote: »
    What was it about the Detctive Branch and the Traffic Core that you didnt like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

D.B.Y wrote: »
    What was it about the Detctive Branch and the Traffic Core that you didnt like?

Too much work? Usually the problem in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

How do i go about being a detective or being in the garda traffic corp

Fail your Leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Fail your Leaving?

or troll the internet at 2 in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Fail your Leaving?

Infracted
    Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    or troll the internet at 2 in the morning?

and warned

Folks please use the Report button if you feel a post needs attention of a Mod. No more calling posters Trolls please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

TheNog wrote: »
    Infracted

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

And after that episode of explosive inside above. How do you actully become a detective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

msg11 wrote: »
    And after that episode of explosive inside above. How do you actully become a detective?

I'm guessing you become a guard and work yer little ass off at making yourself know at solving lots of cases! Then, after a certain length of time has elapsed, apply for promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If ya wanna be a detective you should practice and find out how to become one yourself lol. Na seriously another poster already said you need a good amount of convictions and a few years under your belt, then take the interview. Im sure there is probably more to it than that but have no idea. Best of luck anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What I have seen is people don't become detectives really. The Detective branch picks them. Normally starts with assisting in mundane door to door inquiries, or assisting in a successful capture in some way. Next step you begin working Plain clothes, part time, as required, covering leave etc. Then a vacancy appears, and you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭steve196

Dont waste ur time wit either department coz both do feck all but grow moustaches.

Set your mind for drugs unit, being a detective isn't all its cracked up to be. Drugs units are more "exciting"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

+1 detective work is 90% files and mundane paper work and being stuck in the office (and smoking cigarettes... :) ) Its certainly not what holywood makes it out to be.
    There are loads of other units that may appeal to you - being a detective is not the be all and end all of what a guard can be.

Whatever it is just show an interest and go for it

Best unit iv ever worked in had to be a divisional crime task force..... ya get to deal with everything in both uniform and plain clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

steve196 wrote: »
    Dont waste ur time wit either department coz both do feck all but grow moustaches.
    Hey, some of the gilrs in d'braaaanch are very proud of their 'taches.

Deadwood your going to be sorry you said that!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

pink star wrote: »
    Deadwood your going to be sorry you said that!:mad:
    Sorry about that. Some of them have goatees too.

deadwood wrote: »
    Sorry about that. Some of them have goatees too.

Poor you...what kind of women are you working with at all?? They do know that there are beauty salons out there now that can help with these problems!!!??:D

Advertisement